Can your employee or anyone find out how many times you took the exam?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
As far as I can tell, my company doesn't really see it as a big deal. I get no bonus, no raise, no promotion, no new title, and no change in job duties. Even opportunities for promotion aren't affected since many of the people higher than me in the company aren't even eligible to sit for the exam.

The only reason I got licensed was because given the instability of employment in the industry, I could very well find myself unemployed again. I figure it's better to have the P.E. than not in case that happens.

I certainly recognize the hard work and sacrifices a lot of people make with regard to preparing for the exam, and I wouldn't denigrate that. I'm just saying that my experience was a little different. I didn't study nearly as much as I should have, and I fully expected my experience in October to be a dry run for retaking the exam in April. Somehow I got very lucky and passed. I wouldn't be surprised if I was one question away from failing. Sometimes things go that way.

I take pride in the fact that I passed on my 1st attempt. I studied smart and with a lot of personal discipline. I don't think of it as showing off; it's a reflection of my abilitiy to get the job done, on my first attempt.
I just passed on my first try. I feel no pride whatsoever, as I view the exam as proof that sometimes a blind squirrel actually finds a nut.

I'd probably be pretty cocky if passed the first time, but I didn't and I was out another $510. Anyway I felt real good after passing.
I don't feel cocky at all. I'm mainly just perplexed that I passed. I halfway don't want to put P.E. after my name because then people are going to expect that I know stuff.
Considering all the stories of hard work and sacrifice that the members of this board have gone through just to give themselves an opportunity to pass this very important exam, Its hard to imagine myself ever referring to the exam as no big deal.

I got to agree. There is a lot of work that goes into earning a PE, starting with getting an ABET degree, then the FE, the application process and finally passing the exam. I think anyone who passes the test deserves to be proud of their accomplishment. Then again, I don't think it is unreasonable to "expect" someone who refers to themselves as an engineer to be a PE (I know, I know...industry exemption).

I work in an industry where there are bunches of construction "scientists". These guys where supposed to make sure that engineered designs got built according to plans & specifications in an industry where means & methods are becoming highly codified/industrialized and beyond the capacity of people either freezing their butts off or sweating like pigs to be able to cope with. Many of these young "whipper-snappers" are nothing more than glorified trailer rats who just want to sit behind a computer and send e-mails all day long telling people "you're behing schedule", "we don't have your submittals", "you didn't notarize your pay app" etc, etc.

I wanted to stand out & distinguish myself. I was allowed to sit for the exam and I passed. I am proud of the accomplishment and the work that went into it. I won't brag or boast about it, but I won't hide or deny it either.

I take pride in the fact that I EARNED my P.E. Like others have said above, I put myself through college, took the grunt jobs and worked my way up to get the experience needed, and I ultimately passed the exam. No one did this for me. I won't show off the fact that I have it, but I definitely won't hide the fact I have it either.

Even my screen name says PE...

The PE is unique because of the variety of backgrounds sitting as well as the breadth of knowledge tested. It is not a test filled with college grads, freshly familiar with the process of studying and test taking. There are is a range of 20-50 year old individuals sitting, some of which haven't taken an exam in decades. Some are individuals with spouses, children, full time jobs, and mortgages. Situations that hinder the ability to set aside enough time to effectively prepare for the exam. An exam that possesses a breadth with subject areas that examinees don't even experience during their professional careers.

So it goes without saying, as an employer, it would be very difficult for me to hold it against someone if they failed the PE. While it is an accomplishment to pass the first time I couldn’t possibly imagine myself thinking a PE that passed the first time is a better engineer than someone that passed it the third. I think there are far more significant traits to observe in determining the resourcefulness of an employee.

I just passed on my first try. I feel no pride whatsoever, as I view the exam as proof that sometimes a blind squirrel actually finds a nut.

A little bit of self-deprecation goes a long way for many, congratulations on finding your nuts.

Latest posts

Back