can you take CA survey and CA seismic outside of CA?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TXengrChickPE

Here we go Steelers, here we go!
Reaction score
I am taking the Civil PE this October in TX. After I pass, my company will pay for license in up to 5 states. I am thinking that taking the CA seismic and survey tests in April (assuming I pass PE in October) might be good cuz I'll still be in the study mode at that point, and we don't have anyone licensed in CA yet. I know that there have been jobs that we did not bid on in the past simply because we didn't have anyone who is able to stamp for CA, so it would probably help me at my current company. Also, CA is one of the places that my husband could be transferred at some point, and it would be nice to not have to take those exams 10 years from now.

So, will I have to travel to CA to take those exams? Or do they offer them anywhere else?

I know they offer them out of state, because they are also required to become licensed as a civil engineering in the Marianas and Guam. But I'm not sure if that's just a special arrangement with our "states", so maybe someone else can chime in if they have taken the exams in another state. I know that if you look in the sub-forum for the CA Seismic and Surveying exams, you will find some discussion there from folks in AZ who took it, like civilsid (I think). Maybe he can answer...

They do not offer proctored exams out of state. I believe it is listed in their board rules. I live in Texas, and I had to fly out to Cali to take it.

Then they must have a special exception for Guam and the CNMI, because we have the CA tests proctored here every year by our own Boards. I guess we're lucky (or unlucky, depending on how you look at it).

Back