Can someone please verify this answer?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ipswitch

Reaction score
This is a step in answering a vertical curve question and I get L=6. The book says L=82. Can anyone verify this? I keep getting L=6 and I'm pretty sure that's the answer and the book is wrong. Sorry for the bad tracing!

if6dg4.jpg

This is a step in answering a vertical curve question and I get L=6. The book says L=82. Can anyone verify this? I keep getting L=6 and I'm pretty sure that's the answer and the book is wrong. Sorry for the bad tracing!

if6dg4.jpg

rearrange:

59/44 = (L/2 + 3)^2 / (L/2 - 3)^2

square root both sides and multiply the right side by 2/2

1.16 = (L + 6)/(L - 6)

multiply both side by (L-6)

1.16L - 6.95 = L + 6

0.16L = 12.95

L = 80

if6dg4.jpg

rearrange:

59/44 = (L/2 + 3)^2 / (L/2 - 3)^2

square root both sides and multiply the right side by 2/2

1.16 = (L + 6)/(L - 6)

multiply both side by (L-6)

1.16L - 6.95 = L + 6

0.16L = 12.95

L = 81

Not to be demoralizing... but mistakes like this make it *VERY* much harder to pass the exam. How did you come up with 6? Do you recognize that plugging in 82 makes the two sides of the equation equal?

But not to leave you hopeless: remember this is a multiple choice exam. If you get a final equation you can't solve easily, then... DON'T SOLVE! Plug in each of the answers to you find the one that works.

Not to be demoralizing... but mistakes like this make it *VERY* much harder to pass the exam. How did you come up with 6? Do you recognize that plugging in 82 makes the two sides of the equation equal?

But not to leave you hopeless: remember this is a multiple choice exam. If you get a final equation you can't solve easily, then... DON'T SOLVE! Plug in each of the answers to you find the one that works.
Actually, you DO get L=6 when you subtract where you're supposed to be adding. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Don't worry buddy. It takes more than just YOU to demoralize ME and I hope you feel the same.

Last edited by a moderator:

Actually, you DO get L=6 when you subtract where you're supposed to be adding. Whiskey. Tango. Foxtrot.

Don't worry buddy. It takes more than just YOU to demoralize ME and I hope you feel the same.
L=6 cannot work: if L=6, then 44/(L/2-3)^2--> 44/(6/2-3)^2--> 44/0= infinity

OK... keep telling yourself that and good luck! But if you can't avoid simple math mistakes (that middle school should have prepared you for) you'll have a hard time passing the exam. Has radically changing the paradigm of your self-pedagogy or changing your diet been enough to overcome this deficiency?

OK... keep telling yourself that and good luck! But if you can't avoid simple math mistakes (that middle school should have prepared you for) you'll have a hard time passing the exam. Has radically changing the paradigm of your self-pedagogy or changing your diet been enough to overcome this deficiency?
Lol. Jesus, you're a hardcore asshole. Is there some issue you have that compels you to add stupidity to my thread other than providing me with the answer to my question? If you have some sort of mental issue that gives you the inclination to be a keyboard warrior, there's shrinks at the VA you could visit.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back