Calling All Home Theater Junkies...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just to clarify, there is NO 12V outlet trigger on your pre/pro?
Correct. On the newer high-end AVRs I was looking at when I bought my Pioneer Elite, they just didn't seem to include them anymore. Even though there was certainly space for one (or more).

Ya I looked at this also. But I'm skeptical due to the lack of reviews, "unknown" origin, and the fact that I can read nothing on the label. 

OK, for power strip options, look up "energy saving power strip".  These have outlets that are turned off based on a "trigger" outlet.  

If you have a 12v out on pre/pro, you have a DIY option:

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/diy-12v-trigger-outlet-to-automatically-power-on-off-devices.313534/

Option 3 if you have a 12V signal is to use a current sensor block feeding a controlled 12v outlet.  Xantech is one company that makes them.  
The DIY is basically what I could build in an even more compact enclosure using an ice cube or solid state relay. Just wanted to see if there was any sort of consumer solution already available but it's not looking like it. Thanks for all the (nerd) feedback. :thumbs:

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess I'm just surprised they're not including them, given the big push for a lot of the bluetooth/wireless amps.  It's also possible that you may be able to trigger off a subwoofer out line.  

I guess I'm just surprised they're not including them, given the big push for a lot of the bluetooth/wireless amps.  It's also possible that you may be able to trigger off a subwoofer out line.  
Agreed. I think the Xantech might be the cleanest solution. And my AVR has (2) 12V trigger outputs (pictured below, just to left of speaker inputs).

vsx-21txh_rear.jpg

EDIT: Actually maybe not, if this smart power strip can accomplish the same thing with less wiring/configuration, maybe I'll try it. It's only $25 after all. 

I have the parts to put together an IR switched outlet version for my ATI amp, which has an RS232 connector that requires 12V DC 500 mA to trigger the amp, but my pre/pro only provides 100 mA or so.  The solution I have seen people use is the IR switched outlet, with a 12V wall transformer wired to the appropriate RS 232.  I just haven't done anything about it yet, because it takes time and it's extra wires that i would really rather not have hanging behind my rack.  Maybe I'll try out a smart power switch instead, which sounds a lot easier.

I have the parts to put together an IR switched outlet version for my ATI amp, which has an RS232 connector that requires 12V DC 500 mA to trigger the amp, but my pre/pro only provides 100 mA or so.  The solution I have seen people use is the IR switched outlet, with a 12V wall transformer wired to the appropriate RS 232.  I just haven't done anything about it yet, because it takes time and it's extra wires that i would really rather not have hanging behind my rack.  Maybe I'll try out a smart power switch instead, which sounds a lot easier.
I found something similar (http://www.xantech.com/products/i_folder/i_irs232.pdf) but agree, while doable, I was hoping to find a simpler solution. I'll report back once the smart power strip arrives but I don't foresee any issues with it not working. In addition, there are some reviews where users have successfully used the strip in the same configuration I plan to. 

that's pretty cool, but personally I would go a little more conservative with the decor in my own home!  But I wish I had a friend with that system...

I finally installed a 4K Blu Ray player this weekend.  Pretty cool, the difference is noticeable but pretty subtle. It makes me wonder, though, if going this route is like buying in to super audio CD - an awesome product but just so far behind the actual market that it will ultimately not be supported and I won't be able to get discs. Already you can't rent them, so I'm pretty much stuck with buying the occasional movie that is either 1) something I must have (Star Wars - The Last Jedi this week) or 2) something I don't already have in Blu-ray - which is pretty much nothing.  I get the sense that the internet has already made "discs" obsolete, which sucks for people like me who don't live in a big city with enough bandwidth and/or competition to make 4K streaming possible or affordable. I also like all the extra features that come with a disc vs. streaming, although I have to admit I rarely watch any of it.

I think you're safe.  4K will be around a while, and it's recognized that most cable and internet providers lack the ability to broadcast/stream in 4K so far.

Were going to pick up a nice 84 IN or something ;)  TV for the recently completed basement, but I didn't even fool with running wires for surround sound "and all that" it just seems like something done in the 70's now that I look back at it?

Maybe the TV's have advanced pretty well for me that I get enough sound quality out of just the newer TV's and maybe get one sound bar, but I just don't feel I am missing much by not having it anymore? (we left our system when we sold the house in Atlanta)

Flame Away!!!!

I think you're safe.  4K will be around a while, and it's recognized that most cable and internet providers lack the ability to broadcast/stream in 4K so far.
There are already 6K and 8K computer monitors, so TVs won't be far behind.  TV manufacturer's will always find some new thing to keep selling TVs.  It was HD (720p), then different flavors of HD (1080i, 1080p), then 4K, then 3D, then curved screens, now OLEDs are making an appearance.  There are only so may technologies they can add, and adding pixels (resolution) is one of the easiest...especially when it isn't supported by anything (i.e., you can tell the user it has 8k resolution, but if there aren't any ways to produce 8k content, they'll never know if it is actually 8k or not).

Were going to pick up a nice 84 IN or something ;)  TV for the recently completed basement, but I didn't even fool with running wires for surround sound "and all that" it just seems like something done in the 70's now that I look back at it?

Maybe the TV's have advanced pretty well for me that I get enough sound quality out of just the newer TV's and maybe get one sound bar, but I just don't feel I am missing much by not having it anymore? (we left our system when we sold the house in Atlanta)
The newer sound bars I've heard at various friends' houses are actually pretty decent. And quite a bit less of a PIA.

There are already 6K and 8K computer monitors, so TVs won't be far behind.  TV manufacturer's will always find some new thing to keep selling TVs.  It was HD (720p), then different flavors of HD (1080i, 1080p), then 4K, then 3D, then curved screens, now OLEDs are making an appearance.  There are only so may technologies they can add, and adding pixels (resolution) is one of the easiest...especially when it isn't supported by anything (i.e., you can tell the user it has 8k resolution, but if there aren't any ways to produce 8k content, they'll never know if it is actually 8k or not).
Indeed. The OLED screens I've seen to date are pretty fantastic. That's going to be the next purchase I make in the way of a TV upgrade.

Indeed. The OLED screens I've seen to date are pretty fantastic. That's going to be the next purchase I make in the way of a TV upgrade.
Me too.  I'm still rolling with a 50" 1080p TV from 10+ years ago (1st world problems).  I've been looking at the LG OLEDs, and will probably buy one some time this year.

I've read the OLED screens can suffer from "burn in" and that was something that kept me away from plasmas.  The better LED/LCD screens these days are super impressive when set up well.  

Flame Away!!!!
I appreciate the heck out of my surround system.  It can literally shake the couch I am sitting on, which adds a lot to the experience.  Of course, most of the time I get yelled at if I listen to it loud enough for my tastes!

I've read the OLED screens can suffer from "burn in" and that was something that kept me away from plasmas.  The better LED/LCD screens these days are super impressive when set up well.  
I've read a bit on that too. However, now with newer technologies (that weren't typically offered with the aforementioned plasma variety) manufacturers employ screen saver features (my LED/LCD displays all have this). In addition, there are also auto power-off features that can be configured accordingly (I have mine set to 4 hrs max.).

So I’m a big cheapskate that still has my old Sony Dolby 5.1 recover and upgraded to a Samsung 50 in. 1080 smart tv.  I never hooked up the surround sound because the tv was digital output and the receiver has analog RCA inputs.  I just learned of and bought a digital to analog converter that supports connectivity of the tv to the older surround sound system.  $17 on amazon and I have surround sound again.  Cool!

Back