Calling All Home Theater Junkies...

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
^^ I can't even get some N64 games on emulator to run 100% without lag or video glitches.  Has the PS2 emulator been perfected?

The only PS3 that is PS2 compatible is the original phat 60gb or 40gb version.  You don't want those because most suffer from the yellow ring of death.  I honestly think the component cables will be the easiest solution.

Agreed. Component video?!  1996 called, they want their hardware back.

I have no issues with N64 emulation nor PS2 (it does require a bit of good processing/video power). Also, the NVidia Shield can also run emulated games and wirelessly broadcast to just about any smart TV. :thumbs:

I don't see what's wrong with component cables when using legacy systems.  Should I not be using my original NES with composite cables because it's 1984 hardware?  I could get the RGB upgrade, but that's a different story.

Dleg tried going the HDMI route and it didn't work so why not use a tried and proven cable?  It's not like TV's / receivers don't still have component inputs.  

I have no issues with speed, but there are some games where I do get graphical glitches and I'm too lazy to spend the time trying different plugins to see what works.

There's nothing wrong with it.  I'd rather use the original hardware because I own the original games, and don't want to have to buy new digital downloads or find a source to steal them from for some tablet. I will use component cables because both my 2015 TV and my 2014 pre/pro provide component inputs that upscale to 1080p or 4K, in the case of the TV.  I have the cables, I have the console, I have the controllers, all I need is a little time and effort to connect it up - no money down.

No analog ports on any of my smart TVs (thank god). HDMI from here on out. And to further clarify, it's a single legitimate download not iTunes we're talking about here. But to each their own. I prefer to search through a digital game library vs. a pile of cartridges and discs. :dunno:  Plus with the Shield, I can take those with me where ever I want (the cousins & nieces/nephews love the old games!).

I'm not against upgrading at all, that's why i attempted the HDMI converter.  

So please explain this to me more fully: the entire PS2 library is available for one legitimate download?  That sounds pretty good, and the Shield seems reasonably priced.

I'm not against upgrading at all, that's why i attempted the HDMI converter.  So please explain this to me more fully: the entire PS2 library is available for one legitimate download?  That sounds pretty good, and the Shield seems reasonably priced.
It would take you a while to download the entire PS2 library. Each game is around 2 gigs and there must be hundreds of games in the library.

Run a search on Google for Emuparadise if you want to see what's available.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk

It would take you a while to download the entire PS2 library. Each game is around 2 gigs and there must be hundreds of games in the library.

Run a search on Google for Emuparadise if you want to see what's available.

Sent from my GT-I9505G using Tapatalk
While this is true, I found some of the games to not be quite that large. In addition, there are sources out there that offer libraries of games that are in compressed format and easily downloadable over-night. 

Indeed. It's just an ISO file download if I remember correctly. I've always just had them backed up so I didn't need to download them after a windows re-image or the like. I don't have the exact link I used handy as I have that archived somewhere on my gaming PC. But here's some light reading for you if you'd like to learn more. :thumbs:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/239164/how_to_emulate_the_sony_playstation_2_ps2_on_your_pc.html
So I read that, and I am wondering are we talking about two different things here?  Can this be run on the NVidia Shield?  Or only on a PC?

So I read that, and I am wondering are we talking about two different things here?  Can this be run on the NVidia Shield?  Or only on a PC?
In general, we are talking about the same thing. The link was merely to bring you up to speed on PS2 game emulation. Not necessarily a specific application of such.

As for the NV Shield, there is a similar adaptation for the Android interface. But it gets a little more tricky due to the different architecture and execution of the Android operating system. Truthfully, the Shield is geared more toward high-end mobile gaming platforms. Which is what I primarily use it for. I wouldn't necessarily recommend purchasing that specifically to run an emulator. That could probably be accomplished with a more economical solution.

Look what made it into my my home theater system this weekend (not the NES/SNES console). :D

b9ba2425003078c7e3c981125251e265.jpg

Sent from my SM-G925V using Tapatalk

@Supe (and any others with HT experience), have you encountered any sort of component that will allow power switching triggered by another device or by IR/RF? The only issue with the amp is that it requires manual on/off switching. My AVR doesn't have an aux. switched outlet either. I'm on the search for something like this or might have to fabricate something custom.

@Supe (and any others with HT experience), have you encountered any sort of component that will allow power switching triggered by another device or by IR/RF? The only issue with the amp is that it requires manual on/off switching. My AVR doesn't have an aux. switched outlet either. I'm on the search for something like this or might have to fabricate something custom.
Just to clarify, there is NO 12V outlet trigger on your pre/pro?

Back