California State Specific Exams (Seismic & Survey)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Seismic

I was pressed on time. I had decided that I am don't arrive at a solution in 3 minutes, I will move to the next question. On the very first question on the test, I stumbled. I spent 10 minutes on one question with no answer in sight. I almost gave up. I decided to stick to the 3 minute strategy and managed to complete the test with a few marked and few un-attempted questions, leaving one minute at the end to go back to one question to which I knew the solution method but my calculations were erroneous.

I wouldn't recommend Hiner's course more than I would recommend EET's, but whichever you choose, in my opinion what matters are how strong your fundamentals are:

- I tend to spend a lot of time on the first 50% of any coursebook / workbook. That's where the basics of the subject are. If you get them right, you will sail through the remaining 50% in a very short time.

- I don't try to pin down each and every question in the book and I don't try to repeat them soon after having done them once. That way I don't tend to remember the question and its solution. If I do odd number questions one day, I do even number in the second sitting, and a random bunch the following week.

- I felt that it was important to revise.

- I felt that structural background at least took care of the preliminary structural analysis that is involved in some questions. However, if you do not have a structural background, I recommend spending 10-12 hours on reviewing some basic structural analysis strategies. If you are struggling or if you have some specific questions or need some references, feel free to PM me and we can talk through it in detail.

- Practice tests: I took only two practice tests two days before the test. They were essentially a random selection of 55 practice questions. To my surprise, I scored 91% and 71% and the spread scared me initially. I spent a day reviewing my answers. The last two days of preparation was the most crucial part of the preparation.

I thought I would share my experience here thinking it would be worth the time even if one of you benefitted from it.

Survey

Survey was easier for me because in my undergraduate course, I had taken three surveying classes and the field work portion of those classes included everything under the umbrella from chain surveying to total station. It was topped by a project doing a survey of a 25 acre site for a real building project. However, if you haven't taken a surveying class, the test may seem to be difficult initially.

I would suggest http://www.civilpesurveyingreview.com for those with some understanding of surveying basics and for the beginners, I would recommend adding a basic textbook to your preparation before going into a review course. Surveying is not difficult at all if you get the basics of it. Again, if you have any specific questions or concerns, feel free to PM for in depth dialogue.

Practice tests: Again, the most important part of the preparation is taking the practice tests. One thing you would want to understand is that it is not the number of resources you use for the test but instead the level of understanding you derive from one resource.

Last edited by a moderator:
License numbers are up. Not sure why, but mine says it expires March 31, 2015.

Seismic

I was pressed on time. I had decided that I am don't arrive at a solution in 3 minutes, I will move to the next question. On the very first question on the test, I stumbled. I spent 10 minutes on one question with no answer in sight. I almost gave up. I decided to stick to the 3 minute strategy and managed to complete the test with a few marked and few un-attempted questions, leaving one minute at the end to go back to one question to which I knew the solution method but my calculations were erroneous.

I wouldn't recommend Hiner's course more than I would recommend EET's, but whichever you choose, in my opinion what matters are how strong your fundamentals are:

- I tend to spend a lot of time on the first 50% of any coursebook / workbook. That's where the basics of the subject are. If you get them right, you will sail through the remaining 50% in a very short time.

- I don't try to pin down each and every question in the book and I don't try to repeat them soon after having done them once. That way I don't tend to remember the question and its solution. If I do odd number questions one day, I do even number in the second sitting, and a random bunch the following week.

- I felt that it was important to revise.

- I felt that structural background at least took care of the preliminary structural analysis that is involved in some questions. However, if you do not have a structural background, I recommend spending 10-12 hours on reviewing some basic structural analysis strategies. If you are struggling or if you have some specific questions or need some references, feel free to PM me and we can talk through it in detail.

- Practice tests: I took only two practice tests two days before the test. They were essentially a random selection of 55 practice questions. To my surprise, I scored 91% and 71% and the spread scared me initially. I spent a day reviewing my answers. The last two days of preparation was the most crucial part of the preparation.

I thought I would share my experience here thinking it would be worth the time even if one of you benefitted from it.
Thank you for the detailed response. I am signing up for the EET review course and plan on refreshing on my structural analysis. One more test to go... can't give up now. On to April 2015!

I highly recommend Dr. Ibrahim's class (EET) too. He is the best instructor I've ever met and his book is by far one of the most comprehensive and organized text for exam prep. Good luck!

I did have a surveying course in my undergrad, but I felt like the SchoolofPE classes for all three exams were really good. I changed jobs and moved during the 4 months leading up to the exams and still managed to pass all three! One of my new coworkers recommended these classes, as it seems like the questions are more similar to what you actually see on the exams (not hour long questions that may test your knowledge, but not really prepare you for the exam process), and that was my experience, too!

Engineer Seals said:
Congratulations to ALL that passed!! See link on HOME PAGE, visit ENGINEERSEALS.COM or call us at 972-709-0791

TO ORDER YOUR STAMP OR SEAL TODAY!!

Most orders ship same day if ordered before noon, Central Standard Time.

Very Subtle advertising.

Interesting observation, based on highest license number of 83105 previously and new highest license number of 83839, 734 new licenses were issued yesterday.

That sounds about right. The number range issued this administration minus the number range issued around my administration (Oct 2011) divided by 6 administrations (3 years): (83500 - 79000) / 6 = 750

Back