California State Specific Exams (Seismic & Survey)

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
For those who passed Seismic, do you have any tips? I have the Hiner notes, but evidently I didn't study them hard enough. Do you recommend taking a review course? Or do you recommend any other good notes to study from?

Survey :pASSED2:

Seismic :Failed:

My results were the same too! I studied using Hiner and that helped me get a better score overall but I still received deficient on two areas. I am going to purchase the EET book and CD and try to approach studying that way. Good luck to you for April!

For those who passed Seismic, do you have any tips? I have the Hiner notes, but evidently I didn't study them hard enough. Do you recommend taking a review course? Or do you recommend any other good notes to study from?
I don't think I would have passed if not for the EET review course. Even with all of the notes on the world.

In my opinion, what matters is , you should know your material thoroughly. If you used hiner notes last time and this time you want to got with EET, then, just concentrate on EET notes, make sure you know the material inside out. When you try to study from multiple references, confusion happens.

Passed seismic. Finally a PE in California even though I have been a PE for almost 20 years in NY. I suggest you take the EET class for those having a hard time with seismic. He is the most dedicated professor I have even known in my life. I wish I had him during my college years many years ago. If you fail the first time, he will allow you to take the class all over again for FREE and will stick with you until you pass.

If there is any consolation for those that have failed a few times, please don't give up. I had to take the surveying and seismic exams in order to get reciprocity in California after being out of school for two decades. I finally conquered! I Pass survey the first time, and it took me two times to pass seismic.

Hiner is great, just make sure you have the most recent version. April 2014 a new code cycle started, so any study material prior to that you would need to update relevant changes and there were a lot of changes in ASCE 7-10 to seismic provisions from ASCE 7-05. If you answer every single multiple choice question in Hiner, you'll crush it next time. That was my approach.

I finally passed seismic after three tries. I did all the problems in Hiners book and made a binder of all the formulas and tables thar were used a lot. I didnt have to flip around the books a lot.

Back