California - Seismic/Survey Results Distribution

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I took all three exams this past October.  Passed the 8 hour! Failed the seismic and surveying :(

Any tips on how I can pass them?  I know there is a whole thread on seismic/surveying, but I want to hear from people here who just recently passes.

Thanks.
EET for seismic... 100+ hours of effort... did all homework problems twice... followed instructions regarding practice tests but did them only once... 

Reza + CSEPR for surveying ... 80+ hours of effort - did everything two times including practice problems and CBTs

passed on the first try... 

Good luck

I took all three exams this past October.  Passed the 8 hour! Failed the seismic and surveying [emoji20]Any tips on how I can pass them?  I know there is a whole thread on seismic/surveying, but I want to hear from people here who just recently passes.

Thanks.
I was there in April. I did what Maji said. Except for seismic, I did the homework once, reviewed them at the end of the course and did the practice exams twice. I did the same as him for survey.

Passed both this fall.

Good luck!

Sent from my SURTAB-722-3G-HD-1S using Tapatalk

I was there in April. I did what Maji said. Except for seismic, I did the homework once, reviewed them at the end of the course and did the practice exams twice. I did the same as him for survey.

Passed both this fall.

Good luck!

Thanks,  @jijir83 and @Maji

Another Question:  I was looking at the EET website for seismic.  It says for the on-demand videos: " The April 2017 Seismic Exam is using CBC 2016. However, changes to the code is minimal with respect to the Exam syllabus. As such, On Demand Videos recorded during Fall 2016 session are equally applicable and will be available for viewing starting Dec. 12, 2016. "  

I wanted to take the on-demand course so I could start studying right away (rather than waiting until February for the live course).  Would it be a big deal studying the on-demand videos that are based on older CBC (rather than the live course which will be based on the newer CBC)?

Thanks,  @jijir83 and @Maji

Another Question:  I was looking at the EET website for seismic.  It says for the on-demand videos: " The April 2017 Seismic Exam is using CBC 2016. However, changes to the code is minimal with respect to the Exam syllabus. As such, On Demand Videos recorded during Fall 2016 session are equally applicable and will be available for viewing starting Dec. 12, 2016. "  

I wanted to take the on-demand course so I could start studying right away (rather than waiting until February for the live course).  Would it be a big deal studying the on-demand videos that are based on older CBC (rather than the live course which will be based on the newer CBC)?
I took EET Seismic, and regardless of which course you take (on-demand, live webinar, live seminar), Ahmed will inform you of CBC changes. If anything, e-mail him your question and I guarantee he will give you an answer.

I agree with CrashPanda. Send him a message. Chances are, for topics needing the new code, they will point them out and send you whatever supplement you'll need. They might even make the new webinars available to you as well until the test period. I took the Saturday in-person session and had the old live webinars and the Sunday live ones available. By the time you get to April, you'll have a chance to fill in whatever gap there may be.

I took all three exams this past October.  Passed the 8 hour! Failed the seismic and surveying :(

Any tips on how I can pass them?  I know there is a whole thread on seismic/surveying, but I want to hear from people here who just recently passes.

Thanks.
I passed all 3 this past Oct. Self studied 8 hrs and survey (with Mansour and PPI books). For seismic, all credits go to Dr. Ibrahim at EET. I had no experience in seismic and his class fully prepared me. I signed up the live webnar, and never missed any of his lectures, and completed all homework and exams within required time frame. I know I passed when I walked out. I highly recommend EET, follow Dr. Ibrahim and you will ace it.

Thanks.
Firstly, congrats on passing the PE exam!

Now, for my advice...

I self-studied for the seismic and surveying exams, passed seismic on the first try, and surveying on the second. Here's what I did.

For seismic, I will say that it was an advantage for me that I do structural engineering work. Despite that fact, the Seismic Design Review Book by Steven T. Hiner is fantastic. It is organized incredibly well, has good practice problems, and great examples. In fact, I have continued to use this reference in my professional work in general.

For surveying, my first time, I chose to study mostly from PPI books. I do NOT recommend them for the exam itself. I did all of the problems in 120 Solved Civil Surveying Problems for the California Special Civil Engineer Examination. I would NOT say that they are representative questions for the surveying exam. I also read through and highlighted/tabbed the book Surveying Principles for Civil Engineers by Paul A. Cuomo. Basically, that review made me feel comfortable with the material, but it turned out to be pretty much useless for me in the actual exam. The second time around, I studied exclusively from the Civil Surveying Review Workshop manual by Reza Mahallati. I spent a few weeks reading the chapters in this book (tabbing and highlighting as I went along) during my commute. Because I didn't really have the ability to do problems during said commute, I actually crash-studied practice problems from this book (which I don't really recommend, but worked for me) for four days after the PE exam, before I was scheduled to take the surveying exam. I walked out of the exam at the beginning of November feeling really good about it (as opposed to it being a complete **** show back in April), and I passed. It was 100% due to this book for study materials. Sometimes it is hard to follow and not all the steps are explained, but it really has all the information you need for the exam.

Lastly, I cannot stress strongly enough the time crunch you will be under for these exams. Skip and mark ANY problems you do not know RIGHT away. 2.5 hours for 55 problems is much more challenging, time-wise, than 4 hours for 40 problems, in my opinion. There will be complicated problems that you probably won't have time to solve (particularly in the surveying exam), and there may be easier, short problems at the end of both exams that you would much rather get off the bat (having skipped many problems to get there) than get at the end when you are running out of time. I recommend a multiple pass system, where your first pass is questions you can answer immediately or know exactly where to look up, your second pass is quick calculations, and your third pass (and any subsequent passes) are more complicated problems. I also recommend marking but also answering from the get-go any questions where you just have zero idea. That is safeguarding yourself of leaving a question totally blank in the case that you run out of time at the end.

For both exams, do as many practice problems as you can. You may have done this the first time around, but do it again, and consider broadening your reference materials. Now that you don't have the PE Exam to stress about, you can likely devote a lot more time to these specific exams.

Good luck in the spring!

Back