California Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I failed...I am honestly surprised. I felt like I did better than last time but my average score was actually lower and now I don't think I can handle failing a third time. How can I pass the PE structural? what do I need to do right?
totally agree, although I took the Power exam, I definitely felt way better about this time, but actually didn't do much better than my 1st attempt.. very discouraging knowing I have to retry and who knows how those results will differ.. 

totally agree, although I took the Power exam, I definitely felt way better about this time, but actually didn't do much better than my 1st attempt.. very discouraging knowing I have to retry and who knows how those results will differ.. 
I know the feeling and it sucks. I feel lost. I covered material that I didn't cover the first time around. I studied one month when I took it April 2017 but changed that to two months for Oct 2018 (3 hours per day after work and 8 hours per day on weekends). Maybe finding this forum will help me gather more resources...but I am completely discouraged and disappointed beyond belief

Good luck all!

Question relevant for those who passed (or have passed previously but since the switch to CBT) - how long does it take CA to approve the application?  Looks like if it gets approved before 12/31 you're allowed to take state specific exams in Quarter 1 as opposed to waiting another 3 months. 

I'm wondering if it's worth rushing transcript delivery, asking references to fill out forms quickly, etc. to try to get the application approved before the end of the year, or if it's unlikely to get approved before the holidays and I should just take my time.

Guess I probably should have worked on this before now but I wasn't really expecting to pass so I didn't want to bother anyone unnecessarily...
I think they said we are allowed to take EACH state exam ONCE. Technically, we could schedule the two different state exams once in the same quarter. 

image.png

I failed...I am honestly surprised. I felt like I did better than last time but my average score was actually lower and now I don't think I can handle failing a third time. How can I pass the PE structural? what do I need to do right?

Hey, I feel you. I first want to applaud your courage and discipline in taking this PE exam. I can't tell you so much about the AM section because I really made rough guesses on half of the questions. But, as for PM, I felt pretty confident throughout. Tbh, I didn't study for PM at all, because it directly relates to what I do every day at work. I have 40 months of work exp, so I was naturally "studying" for the depth portion over more than 3 years 8 hours each day. 

What were your weak parts in the depth section? statics/concepts? or code? I would suggest you directly study off the code. Try to design a concrete beam by following the ACI code. Try to design a wood joist by following the NDS. Try to design a steel column by following the AISC. Those codes also offer example books. Getting familiar with the code will allow you to better navigate them. So, even if you don't cover most of the concepts, you would be able to navigate yourself into the right section to solve questions. 

I hope the best for you!

** edit: I realized I misspelled PM for PE. corrected now.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'd create a topic in the civil/structural sub forum and post your diagnosis and the way you studied etc so people can advice..

Back