California Dreamin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Got my pass letter today. The letter was dated the 28th and was mailed on the 29th. Certificates will be mailed 4 to 6 weeks.

Congrats to all of those that passed. If you didn't pass, keep trying, it opens so many doors and is worth it.
I'll say. I got a job offer yesterday afternoon, literally a few hours after I found out I passed. Although that was probably coincidental, my license will serve as a great bargaining chip for getting mo' dough.

I was in the same boat as you this time around (almost - I'm pregnant with baby #2 due next month), and I was asking myself how I was going to manage two crazy little ones while trying to study! Congratulations to you, and to me! hehehe :)
Congratulations HeatherG! Best of luck with the delivery, and learning how to handle two babies even without having the PE to study for.

Got my pass letter today. The letter was dated the 28th and was mailed on the 29th. Certificates will be mailed 4 to 6 weeks.
That is rad. Thanks for sharing young. Are you in N/Central/S Cali? I'm in S Cal and my mail doesn't come until 2-3pm but I'll keep an eye on it.

Hmmm.... I thought the fail letters went out first.....?

That is rad. Thanks for sharing young. Are you in N/Central/S Cali? I'm in S Cal and my mail doesn't come until 2-3pm but I'll keep an eye on it.

it appears they are doing many things differently this time around. there's no rush to have everything ready on the same date anymore.

I'm in SoCal and I received my pass letter in the mail today. Letter dated the 28th and mailed on the 29th.

That is rad. Thanks for sharing young. Are you in N/Central/S Cali? I'm in S Cal and my mail doesn't come until 2-3pm but I'll keep an eye on it. Hmmm.... I thought the fail letters went out first.....?
I'm in SoCal and I received my pass letter in the mail today. Letter dated the 28th and mailed on the 29th.
Nice. Me too!

I wish....., was my first time, put a lot of effort, but my name is not in the database. I passed the national exam and i just hope now i didn't miss both state exams.

Seems like this time are only 650 new licenses. Last April 2011 were 842. I believe that passing rate was kind of low.

Happy New Year to everyone and congrats to new winners :)

I am expecting a fail letter- as I am not in the database. I am in OC and did not get anything in the mail today.

maybe they are mailing fail letters later?

Last edited by a moderator:
Do fail letters generally go out first? I know the database won't be updated until Tuesday. I just need some hope and I'm hoping I don't receive a letter in the mail tomorrow.... I just don't like how they only updated some people in the database. It's not fair. And yes I am the type of person to jump into conclusions. I would rather have know if I failed or not today then to think I maybe passed only to find out I failed again.....If I did fail the surveying again I don't know what else to do!!! I passed the seismic and 8 hour first shot and took the surveying for the 5th time last time. I have every survey review book you can think of and at home do the problems just fine (around 90%).

I am in the same boat as you. I am done with Seismic and 8 Hr, and this was my 2nd time taking just the survey, and i m guessing i failed, since i am not in the databse.. This time I felt that the exam was harder than the previous time, and even though I can do every single problem in my workbooks ( reza, chelapati, ppi2pass) I have no idea if I will ever pass.I really don't know what else to do.

Do fail letters generally go out first? I know the database won't be updated until Tuesday. I just need some hope and I'm hoping I don't receive a letter in the mail tomorrow.... I just don't like how they only updated some people in the database. It's not fair. And yes I am the type of person to jump into conclusions. I would rather have know if I failed or not today then to think I maybe passed only to find out I failed again.....If I did fail the surveying again I don't know what else to do!!! I passed the seismic and 8 hour first shot and took the surveying for the 5th time last time. I have every survey review book you can think of and at home do the problems just fine (around 90%).

I am in the same boat as you. I am done with Seismic and 8 Hr, and this was my 2nd time taking just the survey, and i m guessing i failed, since i am not in the databse.. This time I felt that the exam was harder than the previous time, and even though I can do every single problem in my workbooks ( reza, chelapati, ppi2pass) I have no idea if I will ever pass.I really don't know what else to do.

Same here guys 8 hr and seismic done with no problem. Stuck with surveying for the

3rd time .. Just received my fail letter

What to do not sure? Spend more time, get more text books to go back to basics

Any advise from people that had problem with surveying then figured out a new strategy and nailed

It?

Thanks and congrates

I don't know how many examples problems you guys do for surveying, but when I took it in April I had worked the entire 120 solved surveys problems on the wednesday before the exam. So come Saturday, they were still really fresh. All I studied before that was with Reza and I only did select practice problems from there. I have no other surveys background and was surprised when I finished the exam early enough to check answers. Since we only have 3 minutes per question, speed was really important. So while being able to do every problem correctly is important, you also have to be able to do it in a timely manner. There are some questions that I could have spent 30 minutes working out like a homework problem, but that's not productive at all. Although none of this probably matters to you...

When I passed, I had been listening exclusively to up tempo music like some Benny benassi techno and junk, without lyrics mostly. When I sat down for the exam those same songs were stuck in my head and helped me keep up my pace. There's no time to relax or really to try to figure problems out if you don't already know how to solve them, unless you run out of problems to do before time expires. Keep trying and don't give up!

Any know the size of the certificate? I am looking for a frame.
All the ones I've seen around my office have been standard 8 x 10 size and are less ornate than my eit certificate lol. I don't think there was much of an age difference in our certificates either as I got my eit in 2005 and the pe cert I'm thinking of is from 2003 maybe?

Sorry guys to hear about your troubles with the CA-Survey exam. It's funny how everyone's brains are wired differently. To me, Survey seems so natural and (call me crazy), even fun. Passed first time. But Seismic (which you guys had no problem with) kicked my b.! It was sooooo foreign to me. That took me 3 times. My advice in addition to the regular advice (work as many problems as you can, make sure you can work them expeditiously, have a difficulty-rating/time-management system during the exam, etc.) is to know your trigonometry. If I remember correctly, there were quite a few problems that can be solved with just trig. Know your trig and know your calculator. Good luck guys. Don't give up, you are close!

Remember SohCahToa!!! ;)

I took surveying three times and studied very hard each time. Each time I got more study material. At the end I used mansour and reza. Go thru the entire workbook. Try to do all the problems three times and close to the day of the exam. Follow a guideline to taking the test and don't get hung up on a problem and watch your time. Remember get to the end of the test.

Good luck

Back