California Dreamin

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, use the letter, if you search for a number in the 35000's you will find there are civil and mech licenses against it. The letter is part of the license number.

I just got my stamp, been stamping bits of scrap paper all over the desk. Feels good. Now to seal shut those thank you notes, if only I had one of those wax seals :)
The example in the Board Rules and Regulations shows the NUMBER in the middle and the BRANCH below it. It seems redundant to list the branch and also put the letter next to the number. I think the NUMBER is just your number and the BRANCH differentiates the discipline.

I went to order my stamp. I got hung up on 78900 vs. C78900 vs. C 78900. The guy that sits next to me has a 0 in front of his 5 digit number. C078900? Arrrggghhhh.

I think I am going double line, "Registered Professional Engineer", and 1 5/8" pre-inked.

Just have to think about the number..... I'm leaning toward C 78900

Just verified with the board, include the letter. May be obsolete, but it's a unique identifyer with it, it is not without it.

I went with Professional Engineer and a double ring. Also put the space after the 'M' looks nice. Seen it all the other ways too (dash, no space, missing), but the space has a quiet dignity.

Trev, thanks for checking with the board.

I think I'm going to go with the Licensed Professional Engineer title. I think it has more meaning for non engineers that don't understand the significance of the Professional Engineer title. I don't like the Registered Professional Engineer title because it sounds like you just put your name on a list (like sending in a registration card).

The licensed title better indicates that you have been given authority to practice engineering.

Last edited by a moderator:

I think I'm going to go with the Licensed Professional Engineer title. I think it has more meaning for non engineers that don't understand the significance of the Professional Engineer title. I don't like the Registered Professional Engineer title because it sounds like you just put your name on a list (like sending in a registration card).

The licensed title better indicates that you have been given authority to practice engineering.
lando, I see your point and I like your logic but I am looking around here at work (a City) and everyone, without exception, has 'Registered Professional Engineer'. I also checked our scanned plans prepared by private developers and the first 10+ all read ' R P E'. I even check the ACAD block library I took with me from the private firm I worked for - every engineer has 'R P E'. I think I'll play it safe and stick with the majority on this one.

lando, I see your point and I like your logic but I am looking around here at work (a City) and everyone, without exception, has 'Registered Professional Engineer'. I also checked our scanned plans prepared by private developers and the first 10+ all read ' R P E'. I even check the ACAD block library I took with me from the private firm I worked for - every engineer has 'R P E'. I think I'll play it safe and stick with the majority on this one.
I've seen a variety in my office, but now that you mention it I noticed that the majority are R P E. So now I need to decide if I will follow the majority or stick with my logic.

Last edited by a moderator:
Are you guys putting the expiration date on there as "EXP. _________"? Or no expiration date at all?

Every one I've seen at work has "EXP. _________"

An FYI. Just received my stamp from engineerseals.com. I had selected "Professional Engineer" and had only put the 5 digits for the license number. The stamp I received says "Registered Professional Engineer" and they had added the "E" with a space and then the license number. It looks like they may change it for you to fit common convention. Not sure if they do it for everyone, but it is what happened on mine, and I'm fine with it now that I have seen the posts above.

Which type are you guys going with? The thing about the pre-inked is it says not suitable for non-porous surfaces. Does this mean we can't use them to stamp mylar?

Which type are you guys going with? The thing about the pre-inked is it says not suitable for non-porous surfaces. Does this mean we can't use them to stamp mylar?
I dislike pre-inked stamps in general because it's usually a pain to find a replacement cartridge when the ink runs dry so I'm getting a regular stamp. But I work for the government so I won't be using my stamp anytime soon. The pre-inked would probably be more useful if I stamped drawings often.

Where should I go to get my seal made into a brand? I've got some steaks that need to look a little more official on the table.

I have not, yet, received my pass/fail letters from the Board for the civil seismic and surveying exams. Is anyone else in the same boat?

Where should I go to get my seal made into a brand? I've got some steaks that need to look a little more official on the table.
Good idea, as long as you don't mind being liable for deliciousness.

I have not, yet, received my pass/fail letters from the Board for the civil seismic and surveying exams. Is anyone else in the same boat?
I would call the board. Maybe it got lost somewhere. Did you move lately? Anyway I belive you should have got by this time. Wait maybe until tomorrow and if you don't get it call the board before they close. Good luck.

I dislike pre-inked stamps in general because it's usually a pain to find a replacement cartridge when the ink runs dry so I'm getting a regular stamp. But I work for the government so I won't be using my stamp anytime soon. The pre-inked would probably be more useful if I stamped drawings often.
I have a coworker who bought the self-inking stamp from engineerseals.com and it looks and works great. I'm considering getting that and possibly a regular rubber stamp too...just to have one. Shipping is essentially the same price whether you buy 1 or 2 stamps (~$6). Is that too crazy? :D

Yes, use the letter, if you search for a number in the 35000's you will find there are civil and mech licenses against it. The letter is part of the license number.

I just got my stamp, been stamping bits of scrap paper all over the desk. Feels good. Now to seal shut those thank you notes, if only I had one of those wax seals :)
Got my stamp this afternoon and I've been doing the same thing. Awesome feeling!!

An FYI. Just received my stamp from engineerseals.com. I had selected "Professional Engineer" and had only put the 5 digits for the license number. The stamp I received says "Registered Professional Engineer" and they had added the "E" with a space and then the license number. It looks like they may change it for you to fit common convention. Not sure if they do it for everyone, but it is what happened on mine, and I'm fine with it now that I have seen the posts above.
I had the same problem. Stamp came today with the unrequested "registered" on it. Annoying but I'm not going to hassle them over it. In my case it's going to be nothing but a fancy desk ornament anyway.

I have a coworker who bought the self-inking stamp from engineerseals.com and it looks and works great. I'm considering getting that and possibly a regular rubber stamp too...just to have one. Shipping is essentially the same price whether you buy 1 or 2 stamps (~$6). Is that too crazy? :D
+1 for engineerseals.com. I got the self-inking stamp as well (in addition to the digital seal) and it works great. It doesn't use "cartridges" as the OP indicated. The base of the stamp has a cap that opens and you just add 2-3 drops of replacement ink and the stamp is ready to go again. I do not stamp things all that often but I have yet to run out of ink and I ordered my stamp after passing the Oct. 2010 exam. I also ordered a small tube of replacement ink from engineerseals.com and it was pretty cheap.

In reading some of the other posts about specifying what goes on the stamp, I believe engineerseals.com uses the latest template which is specified by each corresponding state board. So for instance if you select WI as being the state you are registered in, they will make your stamp using the "Wisconsin template" and the only custom portion is your actual license number.

Back