CA surveying exam results January 2020

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I passed the surveying exam on my second attempt last month. This time around I bought the mansour course. To anyone considering it, I highly recommend his books but not his videos. The videos are very slow and there isn't any editing, so he spends a lot of time waiting around and talking to his live class.  His practice problems and tests were very helpful though. I gave his books a decent read through and just started taking practice exams to find my weaknesses. Then went back and studied the sections as needed. I think that I only gave educated guess on 5 or 7 questions (mostly just ran out of time) on the actual exam. Also I have never had a surveying course before.

Last edited by a moderator:
So how does the timeline work? So everybody who took seismic or surveying in February finds out the same day? Even if one person takes it February 1st, and another February 29th? They both get their results on the same day in March?

Last edited by a moderator:
So how does the timeline work? So everybody who took seismic or surveying in February finds out the same day? Even if one person takes it February 1st, and another February 29th? They both get their results on the same day in March?
Yep, that's exactly how it works. A lot of people recommend taking your exams as close to the end of each month as you can, so that you don't have to wait as long for results.

Another thing to note is that if you take your exam within the last month of a quarter, you won't find out results until the next quarter. If you don't pass, you then won't be able to retake the exam until the following quarter (take exam originally in Q1, find out results in Q2, can't retake exam until Q3).

Passed surveying, it's over...thank God, what a long process, but very much worth it.  

If I had to give recommendations for both sub-tests:

Seismic - Hiner is the absolute best, hands down

Surveying - CPESR book and online lectures

Good luck to all!!!
@MrTeal Did you take the Hiner course? Or just use the work book? 

Just the workbook, but you'll want the IBC and ASCE 7 books as well to study with and earmark for the exam.  Hiner does a great job of citing the code sections in his book, but you'll need those other two for definitions and such.

Back