Best Board to take the Structural Engineering Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you have the time to study for the exam now, before you have the experience/approval from the CA board, then a year or two in the future when you do have the experience, it will make getting licensed in CA much easier.  If your experience gets approved, then you will automatically be licensed.  If you wait until you have the requisite experience to take the exam, that adds ~6 months to your time frame of getting licensed.

I am ~2 years from getting my SE license in California but I still took the exam in a state that doesn't even recognize the SE license, because I have the extra time to study right now.  I'm getting married this year, probably kids soon after, so who knows if I'll have the time/desire to study for several months a few years from now.
makes sense... never quite understood why taking a test even requires board approval to begin with.

doesnt cali require a third exam prior to SE licensure?

makes sense... never quite understood why taking a test even requires board approval to begin with.

They require seismic/surveying exams prior to PE licensure, and they require PE licensure before SE licensure, so yes, they do require 2 other 3 hour exams

Primarily because each licensing board has to determine whether each exam is sufficient to measure competency in their given jurisdiction.  The 16-hr SE exam would not have happened if many of the states did not agree to its usefulness.  NCEES was very good at working with the states to accommodate legal requirements and needs.

Primarily because each licensing board has to determine whether each exam is sufficient to measure competency in their given jurisdiction.  The 16-hr SE exam would not have happened if many of the states did not agree to its usefulness.  NCEES was very good at working with the states to accommodate legal requirements and needs.
most other licenses DO NOT require board approval to simply take an exam.

in fact, i can't think of a single professional license other than engineering that requires board approval (at least in my state)

most other licenses DO NOT require board approval to simply take an exam.

in fact, i can't think of a single professional license other than engineering that requires board approval (at least in my state)
Well since you and I are discussing the engineer license, I don’t believe how any other professional license is bestowed has any relevance. 

Well since you and I are discussing the engineer license, I don’t believe how any other professional license is bestowed has any relevance. 
We were never discussing engineering licenses. When did our conversation strictly address this? You seem confused.

You replied to a comment i made about me not understanding why one would need board approval to simply take a test and I later mentioned no other board besides engineering does this.

hint: the topic of my statement was "board approval for examination" not "engineering licensure"

Last edited by a moderator:
As much as this guy seems to like to argue, maybe he should look into bar exams instead of engineering

We were never discussing engineering licenses. When did our conversation strictly address this? You seem confused.

You replied to a comment i made about me not understanding why one would need board approval to simply take a test and I later mentioned no other board besides engineering does this.

hint: the topic of my statement was "board approval for examination" not "engineering licensure"
No disrespect intended, but we are talking about licenses.  A person doesn't apply to take an exam.  This is a common misunderstanding.  The exams are solely a tool used by the licensing boards to measure minimum competence of those individuals that are seeking a license.  The ONLY reason why NCEES registration allows individuals to register for an exam without the individual going through the licensing board is because each of those licensing boards has specifically authorized NCEES to do that.  NCEES is operating in collaboration with the licensing boards.  Some boards require applications for licensure to be submitted and the qualifications deemed qualifying prior to allowing an individual to sit for an exam or exams.  Other boards are fine with allowing individuals to sit for exams prior to submitting an application for licensure.  You can try all you want to separate the two, but you're arguing against the facts.

As much as this guy seems to like to argue, maybe he should look into bar exams instead of engineering
Too busy educating people on engineering licensure and exams.  But, should I decide to do that in the future, would you be a reference for my legal qualifications?

Too busy educating people on engineering licensure and exams.  But, should I decide to do that in the future, would you be a reference for my legal qualifications?
Haha.  My comment wasn't directed at you FYI, but I see how quoting you instead of Sayed would be confusing

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the SE exam in NY because I live here.  With a NY PE license, all you have to do is send the board an email with your name,  SS# and NYS license number asking for permission to take the SE exam.  I got my approval in 15 minutes.  Literally...
Good afternoon. What benefits do you realize by having an SE in NY? Or is it just something your employer encouraged? 

I'm taking the test in Michigan, I don't expect a lot of people to be there.  

Michigan doesn't recognize the SE … yet.  

I work for a company that recently went through some layoffs, and having the SE license (likely from Illinois), will give me more options in the future in case I have to relocate.  There are also companies in MI that I'd work for that do out of state work that require SE in those states.  So the folks getting all up in arms over a particular state and whether or not the SE is recognized in that state need to just settle down and worry about themselves.  Even if someone works in a state that doesn't recognize it, and they have no plans to move, I'd still be impressed and proud of that accomplishment.  

The SE is a **** show regardless of where you take it. 

The Oregon board does not require SE examinees to submit an application or an additional fee prior to registering with NCEES for an exam.

3) Evidence satisfactory to the Board of having obtained two years of structural engineering experience, verified by a registered Structural Engineer in a jurisdiction with NCEES membership. (This one is straight forward)

d) A completed Experience Details form describing active practice in structural engineering, including meaningful work on significant structures. (I would say this one is very subjective)

https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/viewSingleRule.action?ruleVrsnRsn=258084

Even if someone works in a state that doesn't recognize it, and they have no plans to move
NC checking in with no plans on moving. We don't recognize it here, and my company doesn't do structural work in any state that does. So I am licensed in the great state of Nebraska. The application process was far easier than Illinois.

The Vermont Board seems to require the SE exam for all who are applying for a PE that have Structural Experience. The Civil Structural Exam is essentially defunct. It seems though that out of Staters are allowed to come in as PE's without the 16 hour exam. 

VT does give very spacious arrangements to the SE takers. I had two 6' tables in the fall and a single 6' table in the spring (Most other PE examinees had a single 6' table with 2 people per table). In the fall for lateral, I was the only examinee and had a conference room to myself. 

Interestingly, ASCE made a push to make VT the pilot study state for the Raise the Bar initiative. This would require a Master's degree or equivalent coursework or experience (self study this for those unfamiliar) in order to be eligible for licensure. The state board had some strong opposition though so for now its still the traditional requirements.

I would recommend VT if you want more table space 🙃

Whole room by yourself during the exam. I like that~ Unless the other exam taker is a charming lady.

I think in the fall the W. WA exam has full 6' tables. in the spring we did not. (fall is outside the city, spring is inside)

Back