Best Advice for Passing Power Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

zfootball81

Reaction score
I just found out that I passed the power exam and I want to thank everyone who contributes to this board.

The best advice I have for anyone taking a future exam (besides having a fundamental understanding of electrical theory... e.g. Ohms law, 3-phase, power triangle, etc) is to thoroughly read through the posts here. No matter how many resources you have or which practice exams you take there are essential topics covered here that you will not find consolidated anywhere else. I can recall at least 10 exam questions that I was prepared for because I had encountered them here. For many of us those 10 questions are the difference between passing and failing.

Best wishes to all.

I agree if you're prepping for this exam read this board daily and dont hesitate to post any questions you come across everyone is more than willing to help.

Study 500 hours.

P=V I* (phases)^1/2 (vector format) and V = I Z (vector format). That's about 1/2 of it.

My advice is to start studying early and don't wait until the last minute (or last week). Sadly a coworker of mine waited and didn't pass (however I did).

Put in the hours of study. Repetition is a big part of it. It helped me to remember such that I didn't need to crack a book very often during the exam, and finished up early so I could go back through it (at which time you can open your books). This forum was a God send. If you are using sample exams, you can usually find discussions on the problems.

The big thing again is to put in the hours. Do sample exams, but don't just figure out the answer. Understand the answer!!!

Search this board for reference material suggestions. Post any questions you cannot answer on this board (people actually respond!) -- SEARCH the forum first though because 8 times out of 10 you will find another user has posted the same question in the past.

Don't wait until you've covered all material before taking a practice exam. Take a practice exam EARLY on in your preparations in order to determine very far in advance your weaknesses. Can't stress this enough. I would think about taking one within the first 3 weeks of your preparation.

You may also find it helps to perform more hand calculations at work than you ordinarily would (if time permits of course) for simple problems. Use this as a back-check against software generated solutions. This will give you an opportunity to prepare for the exam at work while completing work related tasks.

And finally repetition. This is key.

I applied the above formula and found I was over-prepared for the test.

Good luck!

Back