Bachelor of Arts plus FE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree with everyone -- get the degree that is accredited!! It will save you so much pain! I took the easy way out when I was in my undergrad and switched from a BSE in Mechanical Engineering to a BS in Interdisciplinary Engineering (Don't ask me why, I was(am) an IDIOT I know). The latter was not accredited, and it was very difficult for me to even sit for the FE exam in many states (I moved around a bit because I was in the Air Force).Luckily when I got my MS in Engineering Management is actually WAS accredited (which is highly unusual I know, but true nonetheless!) and Texas allowed me to sit for both the FE and PE because I had enough experience along with the MS.

So take it from me -- don't take the easy way out now! It will hound you later!!!
So you were able to get into an accredited graduate program with an un-accredited undergrad degree? I'd hate to go through that kind of red tape...kudos to you for gittin' 'er done!

I think the thesis he is referring to is similar to a senior project. At my school (which is accredited) a senior project is required (senior design class) and no degree awarded without it. However, it appears your school gave the students an option to not do it for a BA degree. Get the BS. Thesis isn't as bad as you think.

Thanks for all the help.

I figured as much. It appears not getting the accredited degree adds two years onto PE license path in all the states I want to live in....

Oh well....I'll be so glad when this is done.

A non accredited degree is just a piece of paper I was told in college.

Also no one in the CE program even knew about the BA until senior year so it must not be a very popular option.

So you were able to get into an accredited graduate program with an un-accredited undergrad degree? I'd hate to go through that kind of red tape...kudos to you for gittin' 'er done!

I don't think that's such a hard feat to accomplish... it would seem many graduate programs don't care too much about the undergraduate degree accreditation - or at least our foreign-educated colleagues would have us believe. Seriously, though - it makes sense to me. Graduate education doesn't necessarily build on the same knowledge you learned in college.

Back