Average pay raise after PE

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When I was offered a position at the company I am currently at (about a year ago), I asked as part of the offer I would be given a $2K raise once I passed the PE.  That equates to about a 3% raise (about the same as a standard cost of living raise), now I'm thinking I should have asked for more... :(

It could be worse, I took a pay cut when I passed. I was converted from hourly to salary. No more OT, and a crappy bonus that supposedly would make up the difference. I changed jobs the following year.
Yep that's common in the private sector. If you're working 50-60+ hours per week as a "non professional" then you're hourly. Even if you get a big raise, you may be making less money when you are forced into a salaried "professional" position.

I will be asking for at least 10 extra! People need to realize what the PE is worth and don't under value it. This will only work if sealing drawings though.

Yeah I just passed mine and got an 11% raise back in April and then now I'm looking at a possible move and get a raise of 26%! If so, I'll more than double my salary in 2.5 years. I was getting grossly underpaid at my job 2.5 years ago...

Last edited by a moderator:
I am already making a pretty decent salary where I am.  Also, I've only been with this company since Sept. and I was already doing the PE thing of my own volition.  Add to that the fact it is not a requirement for my position.  So, I'm expecting exactly zero in terms of raise.  In my case, I did it more for my own personal satisfaction and marketability should I again find myself back in the ever unstable job market.

I'm getting 5% as a part of my annual review, but I've also been told that my PE raise is a separate conversation. I'm thinking of starting at 7% and then settling for 5%, that is, if I can't get my VP to give me a number first.

As owner of my own consulting firm; I have immediately instituted a 100% pay hike for me :)  It's a different issue that I might have to infuse capital into the company from my personal account to meet the higher salary expenses. And then I will pay out more in Self-employment taxes! So I will in effect have less profits for my company :(  Darn. Life is so unfair#$$%#$#

As owner of my own consulting firm; I have immediately instituted a 100% pay hike for me :)  It's a different issue that I might have to infuse capital into the company from my personal account to meet the higher salary expenses. And then I will pay out more in Self-employment taxes! So I will in effect have less profits for my company :(  Darn. Life is so unfair#$$%#$#
I am familiar with this concept...You bumped your monthly salary from $10 to $20, right? 

I am familiar with this concept...You bumped your monthly salary from $10 to $20, right? 
Actually, not even that much :(  My first year since quitting my regular job. So I've not had much income + most of it has been put back into investing in the business + cash flow issues (invoiced but won't get paid until next year!). Yeah! Sounding like a proper business woman - cash flow and invoice and investing. But who cares - I'm a PEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!! I can now command a higher hourly rate; even if it is virtual at this point :)

I'll be getting a 5% raise, effective today. I work for a local county, so I figure that's pretty decent for a govt. job. They also paid, straight up, at least $2000 for me to take the exam, including a review course, admin and application fees, and books.

My company reimbursed for exam, registration, hotel, gas, and parking for a passing score only. Believe it or not, this ended up being over $800. Nice to get that money back.

They also agreed to pay for a review course ($985) (1 time only - and service obligation for 1 year).

They also gave me a 5% raise.
Well, about 7 months after passing the PE exam, I received a job offer I couldn't pass up.  It included a 25% increase in pay.  So, needless to say, getting my license was well worth it.  

I did have to pay back the $800 for exam fees, but my service obligation for the review course was already over.  

Last edited by a moderator:
This is an old thread, but I figured I would add my numbers to the statistics. I was at $30 per hr before the PE and went to $35 per hr when I passed. Now I am eligible for partnership, but that will take a few more years.

When I got my PE back many many years ago in a state that did not require seismic and survey, I got around a decent raise. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was somewhere between 5 and 10%. 

Now that I spend time preparing cost proposals, here is my take on how to calculate a fair amount of raise when one gets his/her PE. Do a web search for engineering pay schedules for engineering contracts in your local or state DOTD/City/County. For example, in Jefferson Parish, LA, here are some sample rates:

Engineer 44.68 (Max. direct hourly rate)

Pre-Professional 28.39

Principal 76.14

Supervisor-Engineer 58.12

So, if you consider a multiplier of around 3.25, the result is what your company will bill that client for your when you work on billable projects. This gives you an idea how much you are worth. So, in this example, a Pre-professional to engineer, can ask for a $4-5/hour increase. That is about 15% increase. I think that should be uniform all around. If the company can bill you at a higher rate, then you deserve the higher pay.

Good luck to everyone prepping for the exams.

I am already making a pretty decent salary where I am.  Also, I've only been with this company since Sept. and I was already doing the PE thing of my own volition.  Add to that the fact it is not a requirement for my position.  So, I'm expecting exactly zero in terms of raise.  In my case, I did it more for my own personal satisfaction and marketability should I again find myself back in the ever unstable job market.
This is pretty much my boat...my cerifications are >>>than PE now.

I do get $200 tho.

Back