Aside from dragging my butt out of LA....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
That all sounds good DV. The audio thing for me was to make good use of the commute to and from work and to give that little extra confidence booster and brain stimulation towards the PE exam.

I don't know if one exists or how it would need to be formatted (obviously it can't get too technical, maybe just general concepts like the Exam Cafe at "the other board").

Ed

I have DVD authoring software, and can make an interactive DVD using menu's and options, etc.
Maybe a DVD tutorial that works in the home DVD or on the computer's DVD rom??

NCEES has the CD sample exam, but I'm think along the lines of study guides, charts, equations, etc. etc.

hmmmmmmmmmmm
I think you are on to something there. How many people have posted that they would like alot more of the NCEES type problems to practice with. Those are realistic while you are still learning, instead of getting crushed by unneeded detail like the "the other board" does. they say they over-prepare, but how many do they discourage and chase away?

on another topic of this thread, I keep getting nice, hand written congrats notes from the chiefs at this agency. they must know the new PEs are self evaluating and looking at options.

I think I will stay with the agency though. They are saying that half the people here are going to retire in the next 5 years, so there should be some good upward opportunities. I just have to keep telling myself that.

Ed,

Have you thought about searching small customers needing HVAC/Ventilation systems designed.

I know a pro dog trainer that lost 20+ dogs in an HVAC failure where the HVAC system froze up, then started kicking out heat during a defrost cycle. The failure cooked the dogs in a matter of minutes since the HVAC system wasn't engineered with emergancy ventilation.

The highly trained retrievers were worth about $20K to $25K each. I bet the insurance companies for these pros would love the AC facilities to be properly engineered. In OK, any comercial HVAC unit needs to be designed by a PE.

Here is a thread I posted on the retriever board:

http://www.retrievertraining.net/forums/vi...&highlight=hvac

I thought about going pro in the retriever training world. Those guys make $500 to $800 per dog per month. Many of the Pro's will train 50 dogs per month with hired help. I know a couple of engineers with MBA's that have gone pro. They do have headaches from clients though when the dogs don't perform.

Slugger,

It is a possibility. I am just getting into HVAC system design. I have traditionally worked in control system design and product design along with some sales engineering stuff. Almost all of it has been in HVAC, but the ardcore HVAC system design experience is new to me. I hope to gain more of that experience here at this job.

I have an architect looking into designing an addition for my house. He asked me if I would be interested in designing the HVAC for some small fast-food restaurants he is designing. I would, but am not sure I could do so at this point. Also, my company looks down on side work for a couple of reasons.

Maybe I'll stick it out until I gain the exprience here to spread my wings. Hopefully they will catch air ans sustain me prior to impact with the canyon floor below! :D

BTW, my sister breeds retrievers. She has been doing so for many years. She flies them all over the country and even overseas sometimes for people who are willing to pay outrageous money (in my book anyway). I wonder if your friend has heard of her dogs. She is in Mississippi. I think they are called Top Dawg Kennels. Small world if so.

Ed

What do you consider good money, at least for your area? I used to check job ads daily, and many of the HVAC positions that required 5 or more years of experience I saw were in the 65-80K range (DC area). Not as much as many of my business friends are on pace to earn after 5 years, but more than a lot of them.

I was definately one of those people who read that engineering had something like 4 of the top 5 highest paying salaries coming out of college. However, if you average the salaries of all the entry level jobs I interviewed for, it's almost 10K lower than what the supposed average is. Definately makes me wonder if it was worth it to suffer through Thermo when I breezed through all non-engineering classes.

I've heard that sales "engineers" for companies like York, Trane, etc get paid very well. Most have zero actual engineering backgrounds, but the ones that can back up the talk usually do the best.

I am currently getting out of the contracting business, but the money is there if you hold out. Some of the senior managers are in the 100-150K range. Then there are year end bonuses, etc. Plus the 7-3:30 hours are nice. The engineer of record gets the good money as well, not sure what his figure was, but it better be good for having the pressure dropped squarely on him. Think "Big Dig".

Or you could open a gas station, I hear theres profit in gas these days.......

Here's my
2cents.gif

When you go into the engineering field, there are only a few career paths. And I don't think it matters whether you are in manufacturing, private practice, municpal or government.

You can stay on the technical side. I think eventually you hit a glass ceiling unless you can then be a "staff" engineer, but that's about as high as you can go.

You can move to the sales side. Either products or services. If you are in consulting, your sales or business development guys need to be able to "walk the walk" somewhat and understand what the client is looking for. As a manufacturing sales rep, you're going to be selling to engineers, so you have to know your product.

You can move into management. More administrative and HR work but still engineering related. However, you then get to deal with all of the "Bob is not showering every day and he stinks" and "Cheryl keeps clipping her nails in her cube and it's driving me nuts" and "I'll be late today because I threw a plate at my husband and now I have to take him to the ER" kinds of problems. And yes, those are all :true: that I've dealt with in the past.

You can go into Project Management. That's what I did. I knew early on that I didn't want to say on the purely technical side of things forever, so when there was an opportunity to manage multi-discipline projects, I took it. Fit well with my skills - working with clients, being organized, working with different disciplines, but not having to deal with the day to day people problems of having people report to you.

The grass is always greener - important to remember that. Every job has its own set of problems challenges. Especially when running your own business. Don't think you'll be able to go 9-5 and then forget about it. I would strongly recommend you talk to people who have their own business. Most of them will be willing to talk with you. Learn from their mistakes.

Good luck with whatever you decide!

shouldnt there be a boatload of work coming up in New Orleans the next couple of years? after Katrina? Or is the rebuilding money not there?

I know some of our other offices in the Gulf Area are racking up some nice transportation type work. (NO BID :D )

Seems that would be a good chance to either grow into a new opportunity, start something yourself, or "other"

as for me, even through I am shy of the PE (for a few more months) but I do PM/ Team Leading role (The Army Stuff was good for something) I like that side better than being 99% technical. Doing 15 miles of interstate cross sections isnt something that really motiovates you to get to work in the morning.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey RG,

I agree that the technical side is sooo boring compared to the PM side of things.

There is a boatload of work going on around here. It will probably last for a few years. I probably need to just find the right opportunity or maybe even eventually make one for myself.

I'm peckig away at it and keeping my eyes open.

Ed

do you have a resume out on monster.com or carrearfinder? or one of the many services? Sometimes the headhunter calls are a pain, but usually 1 out of 20 will be interesting. that way folks are coming to you.

Good idea. I did sign up on minster and put in my info, but I need to follow through with a complete resume.

What's advertised around here is rarely interesting. But maybe your idea of having the "unadvertised" stuff come my way is the way to go.

Thanks!

Ed

yeah a lot of times when a company hires a headhunter the job isnt advertised and the headhunters will troll through monster and the other resume job sites.

I leave mine up 24/7

I'm on both boards, as well as my University Engineering School's Alumni board where you post resumes and some of the "typical" companies that recruit our school can get on to see who's available. I've gotten hits from all 3...

However, since I am particular about staying in Central Missouri, none have worked out, some want you to move to East Coast / West Coast, etc.

Or - the job sounds great, but the pay is 1/2 what I make now. :suicide:

I keep a favorites list on my IE of every HR website for the companies I'm targeting. I check each out multiple times a week. Some will post on their own website before going to Monster or Careerbuilder. I've tried to cold-call them, but I keep getting the response (we don't accept resumes unless there is an open position)...

Back