Are solutions allowed in test room?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
"Food" and drinks were allowed, although we were required to keep beverages on the floor so we didn't screw up our scantrons. The only strange rule was that if we didn't want to wear our watches, we couldn't have them on the table.

That's actually a rule stated in the NCEES guideline. I thought it was strange too.

"Thought for the day.

During the space race back in the 1960's, NASA was faced with a major problem. The astronaut needed a pen that would write in the vacuum of space. NASA went to work. At a cost of $1.5 million they developed the "Astronaut Pen". Some of you may remember. It enjoyed minor success on the commercial market.

The Russians were faced with the same dilemma.

They used a pencil."
Read more at http://www.snopes.com/business/genius/spacepen.asp#awlmeidJMj2AK0F5.99

I think the opposite applies here for the "writing in pencil in your reference material debacle"... ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
So, obviously asking if we can agree to disagree was to subtle. So how about you're right and I'm wrong? Will that allow you to move on? Should I call my state and tell them to revoke my license because your better than me? Will I then be allowed to move on from this pointless argument? Whatever I did to piss you off, I truly am sorry. I won't ever do that again. Can we please change the topic now? Are you satisfied? Did you win?

Relax dude!

After reading through this thread I was concerned about all my pencil written notes throughout my references. On a non-study night while I was watching TV, I started going through trying to highlight all the pencil markings. I probably spent 2 hours and got through half of one book. I decided it was a waste of time given that it is not an explicit NCEES or CA rule.

In the test (San Mateo, CA), the proctors checked all the calculators (I saw someone turn in their TI-83 to amnesty!) and some flipped through references to check for loose paper, but said nothing about markings, that I saw.

All of that said, if I was starting to study for the exam right now, I would use pen for notes in my references just to avoid any potential issue.

I'll chime in on the pencil issue. I took the exam last week and had several pencil marks in my references. I kept my pencil, scantron, and test on one side of me, and my reference books on the other. I had no issues and proctors would walk by and look over my shoulder all throughout the day.

But I agree with the post above mine... if I have to take the test again, I will be using pen from now on. I'm not going to bother highlighting all the pencil notes that are already there though.

I believe the proctors could argue that you highlighted your book and wrote pencil over it. I made sure and erased all pencil markings on my practice tests and just had pen notes on all other references. Pencil markings anywhere would concern me.

You would have to find a pretty pedantic proctor to question that lundy. If you use the NCEES chat feature, one of the common pieces of advice is to highlight the pencil marks.

[SIZE=10.5pt]I have been on this forum for years and I have never seen such an unusual concern over this whole pencil thing as this spring 2015 administration. I don't want to go as far as saying it is an irrational concern but it is certainly an unnecessary concern people. Why is everyone worried that proctors will make the leap from you having existing pencil marks in your books to you cheated? I don’t get it. There are no rules against preexisting pencil marks in your references. If you don’t want to get in trouble for cheating, don’t cheat. Don’t write in your references during the exam. Period. [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt][/SIZE]

The accounts of examinees successfully bringing in references with pencil marks is countless. The stories of an examinee being disqualified due to existing pencil marks is……, well,.................... zero.

Not to continuously beat a dead horse, but during one cycle I was in in Massachusetts the proctor went around and told everyone who had worked out examples that they were not allowed. The fear may be unfonded, but not irrational.

I think we should table this discussion until the October 2015 exam session.

Nah I want to get my post count up....

I was one of the paranoid ones that did all my notes in pen.... Based on my exam day experience it was probably misplaced paranoia, but oh well

At my exam site (pittsburgh) there was no overt checking of exam materials. The proctor did a walk around to verify exam authorization, ID, and seat # / signatures were signed and perhaps glanced at our reference materials and calculators.

We were told that we had to keep watches on the wrist or on the floor and that water had to be on the floor when you were not actively drinking. They also told us that if we were found with a phone or unapproved calculator in our possession that we would be removed from the site and exam results invalidated; however they did offer an amnesty table before the exam started (one guy turned his phone in at pretty much the last second).

The only thing that I saw was that a proctor told one guy that he could not place boxes on the table (he was stacking them up like a bookcase) and said they had to be on the floor.

The proctors all seemed like reasonable folks an did not seem like they were "out to get us"

Not to continuously beat a dead horse, but during one cycle I was in in Massachusetts the proctor went around and told everyone who had worked out examples that they were not allowed. The fear may be unfonded, but not irrational.
That proctor should have been reported for not doing his job correctly. If I was at that exam and I was confronted, I'd tell him to go pound sand and come back with proof that pencil writings are not allowed. The rules are the rules.

Darn it, I lost my ability to edit posts again.

Change out the words "pencil writing" for "worked out examples". I guess I still had the whole pencil writing debate in my head.

Having worked out examples (in pencil or pen) is really no different than the printed worked out examples/solutions found in the CERM and many other reference materials IMHO. With that said, I believe my original comment still holds true.

EDIT: I can edit this post but not the one above? This site has some weird functions...

EDIT: I can edit this post but not the one above? This site has some weird functions...
Likely a glitch
Whoa, hang on there professor. We uh...."fixed" the glitch.

office-space-8.jpg

These things tend to work themselves out.

Back