Are solutions allowed in test room?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just don't bring your exam pencil anywhere near your references. Therefore, the proctors won't feel the need to check your books.

Haha thanks for the advice guys. I think I'll call the board (NC for me). Another thing is that I usually only write on one side of a sheet of paper when solving a problem so I have a binder of solved problems, in pencil, that are blank on the back... That said I don't want to photocopy the whole 9 yards if not needed.

2-1 copier, half the paper to tote around. Better get to 3 hole punching, times running out.

It's not about being safe, they can boot you if they see pencil marks. I would not bank on them asking questions. Write it in pen or copy it.
True that..Between talking to a few people and a couple around got booted out before...(I think it was a dozen) and proctor randomly searching your books as well

It's not about being safe, they can boot you if they see pencil marks. I would not bank on them asking questions. Write it in pen or copy it.
True that..Between talking to a few people and a couple around got booted out before...(I think it was a dozen) and proctor randomly searching your books as well
I have not heard of one case of an examinee being ejected for the sole reason of having pencil marks in his/her reference material.

Also, I do not see anywhere in the NCEES Candidate Agreement that states you can't have pencil writing in your bound notes and references.

I think you guys are concerning yourselves with something that doesn't need concerning. I'd recommend you spend the valuable time it'd take to highlight/copy/erase all your pencil writing elsewhere.

I am reading it in the candidate agreement for pencil and paper exams.

I'm not trying beat a dead horse, just not worth it when you can copy your notes and then it's a non issue.

I am reading it in the candidate agreement for pencil and paper exams.

I'm not trying beat a dead horse, just not worth it when you can copy your notes and then it's a non issue.
You are reading what in the candidate agreement?

No writing in reference materials.

When in doubt, err on the side of caution.

When in doubt, call the board.

As I read it, the NCEES exam guide does not specifically address the issue of pencil-written notes on your references. As Matt said, the safest route is to contact your state board and get verification. I have not met anyone who was removed from the exam for bringing reference material with pencil marks. Again, based on my experience only, I had no problems taking my Sample exam with pencil written notes into the exam.

No writing in reference materials.

No writing (verb) on your reference material on exam day, or no coming in with pencil notes/writing (noun) already in your reference material? Can you copy and paste the wording from the agreement you are refering to?

Like I said a while back, it's not worth the hassle. If there is pencil writing in your notes, can you prove it was there before the exam?

My recommendation was to photo copy it to remove all doubt as to your intent. I don't know if they will or will not be searching anybody's references. All I know is that there was no way I was taking that chance. Take it for what it's worth. Just trying to help. I guess sometimes free advice isn't worth the price.

Like I said a while back, it's not worth the hassle. If there is pencil writing in your notes, can you prove it was there before the exam?

My recommendation was to photo copy it to remove all doubt as to your intent. I don't know if they will or will not be searching anybody's references. All I know is that there was no way I was taking that chance. Take it for what it's worth. Just trying to help. I guess sometimes free advice isn't worth the price.
[SIZE=10.5pt]What is not worth the hassle? [/SIZE]

[SIZE=10.5pt]I am just suggesting it is an unnecessary waste of time and money to photo copy everything that has pencil on it when there are no restrictions for bringing in material containing pencil writing. The simple advice I would give is to never place your pencil anywhere near your material during the exam. [/SIZE]

The simple advice I would give is to never place your pencil anywhere near your material during the exam.

Really?!?

Last edited by a moderator:
NCEES Rep: Hello envirotex. How may I help you?

envirotex: Are pencil marks allowed on your reference materials that you bring into the exam room?

NCEES Rep: Yes, there is not a set rule regarding this. We suggest highlighting over these so there is no question as to when these were written

envirotex: OK. Thank you. How about hand written solutions to example questions? I know that the policy varies by state on bringing in solutions...

Sorry, can they be in pencil?

NCEES Rep: Yes, but again if you can go over with a highlighter so there is no question

envirotex: Thanks. I appreciate the answer! Have a good Monday!

Back