Are engineers as boring as some think?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was pretty wild in high school and through most of college.

In high school my parents were building a house out in the sticks so I threw keg parties in their partially built house every weekend. I still can't believe that the cops never showed up, my parents didn't find out (they did later), and nobody got killed. The girl that I was kind of seeing at the time did drive her car into my parents' 6 acre pond which I extracted with a tractor.

I was in a fraternity in college and we got into a lot of trouble but those were the most fun 4 years of my life. I still look back on some of the crap we did and I wish I could get away with that now that I'm older. There are too many things to list.

In high school my parents were building a house out in the sticks so I threw keg parties in their partially built house every weekend.
I did something similar. I was in HS in the mid to late 90s, when they were building a lot of new subdivisions in our town. So you'd have this paved road that just went into the woods, but no occupied houses. People threw keggers there every weekend or so. My friends and I were smart (honors students) so we always parked off to the side and wandered in. Cops would pull up and block off the road so no one could leave. They'd give out tickets, call parents, etc.

We'd cut through the woods back to the car and slink off.

As a sophomore in college, I tried to hook up with some chicks using the "Hey do you want to go skiing at the lake?" line.

Saturday morning came around and the chicks bailed, hungover I think. Then this guy I knew down the hall said hey, let me call some buddies and we'll go drink beer on the lake all day with you. Cool.

So we pick up the guys and head for the lake. Then I begin to sense something is not right with the universe, but I ignore it.

We get to the lake, out on the boat, on the water, far away from shore. The guys are goofing around, having a good time, splashing in the water, but I was the only one drinking beer, they were drinking wine coolers. Then one of them suggested skinny dipping.

Suddenly it hits me - I realize I'm in the middle of Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride. I mean these guys were gaygay, once they got half a mile offshore. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I am not, and so spent the rest of the boat ride guarding the stern of the ship, if you know what I mean - trying not to get drafted for the other branch of the service, if you know what I mean - protecting the harbor against surprise torpedo attacks, if you know what I mean.

Yada yada yada, the story ends later that night with me at a heavy metal party trying to pick up big hair chicks, thankfully without a rear-admiral promotion. But ever since then, I keep my gaydar set to "hypersensitive" - I pretty much assume everyone is gay until proven otherwise (not that there's anything wrong with that).

Last edited by a moderator:
Like a lot of people have already said, I don't consider myself boring. Or at least I wasn't back in school. I was always the athlete type more than the nerdy type, but I still made A's and B's all through school. I've got many stories of drunken nights, but the one that stands out the most as a WTF night was in high school.

I was always the caretaker in high school. I was the guy who made sure my friends didn't do anything to hurt themselves when they were drinking. That changed around Feburary of my senior year. My buddies and I had been talking to some girls at school and we had decided that we were going to hang out at one of the girl's house on Friday cause her parents were out of town. I didn't like the girl whose house we went to, but I figured why not? I was supposed to be the designated driver that night,so I wasn't going to drink anything. Well, my buddy convinced me to take a shot of absolut with him, and that was all she wrote. I ended up finishing the fifth of vodka by myself, all the while letting the girl whose house we were in know how big of a bitch I thought she was. I pulled the shorts down of one girl that was there while she was getting something out of the fridge and then had to explain to her sister that I was sorry. But to do this I made her write everything down for me because I was incapable of listening. I was also incapable of talking because I wrote all of my answers down for her.

Since I figured this whole ordeal wouldn't make the night memorable enough, I decided to take a shower in the girl's bathroom and then walk out to my bronco naked. I woke up the next morning naked in the back of my bronco. I later found out that one of my buddies woke up in the middle of the night and thought the entertainment center of the house was a toilet. You can imagine how pleased the girl was with us.

This is one of the many experiences I had with liquor that eventually led to me swearing it off and sticking to beer. Now I only have liquor when I am really craving it and it is typically a rum and coke.

I was the best man at a wedding in May. On the way to the rehearsal, myself and a couple of the groomsmen (2 more engineers and an inventor) decided to partake in a good bit of Miller Lite. On the way back to the hotel, we decided that since we all had been drinking it would not be fair for the driver i.e. myself to get the a DUI if we could get stopped, so we all would take part in the driving. Passenger held the wheel, I controlled the foot pedals and middle seat told me how fast, to go and where to stop. I was not allowed to look at the road at all. Back seat right had control of the peripherals. Needless to say, we made it back 25 miles later through 2 cities safe and sound. Even backed into our parking space.

As a sophomore in college, I tried to hook up with some chicks using the "Hey do you want to go skiing at the lake?" line.
Saturday morning came around and the chicks bailed, hungover I think. Then this guy I knew down the hall said hey, let me call some buddies and we'll go drink beer on the lake all day with you. Cool.

So we pick up the guys and head for the lake. Then I begin to sense something is not right with the universe, but I ignore it.

We get to the lake, out on the boat, on the water, far away from shore. The guys are goofing around, having a good time, splashing in the water, but I was the only one drinking beer, they were drinking wine coolers. Then one of them suggested skinny dipping.

Suddenly it hits me - I realize I'm in the middle of Big Gay Al's Big Gay Boat Ride. I mean these guys were gaygay, once they got half a mile offshore. Not that there's anything wrong with that, just that I am not, and so spent the rest of the boat ride guarding the stern of the ship, if you know what I mean - trying not to get drafted for the other branch of the service, if you know what I mean - protecting the harbor against surprise torpedo attacks, if you know what I mean.

Yada yada yada, the story ends later that night with me at a heavy metal party trying to pick up big hair chicks, thankfully without a rear-admiral promotion. But ever since then, I keep my gaydar set to "hypersensitive" - I pretty much assume everyone is gay until proven otherwise (not that there's anything wrong with that).
You totally missed and opportunity there, those gay dudes could have totally hooked you up with the ladies. I guarantee at least each of them had 1 hot girlfriend. If they thought you were cute, they probably would have been willing to set you up.

I'm not the type that I would consider crazy, but growing up in small town Kansas led to doing some pretty dumb things. Some of them on videotape.

This is a link to one of the more infamous things that my high school buddies and I did...

And before you ask, not a one of us had a thing to drink to help us along.

The fact that you can remember anything on a fifth of vodka is impressive to me.
You'd be surprised.

The night before Easter when I was at Ohio State, it was only myself, one other roommate, and one of the girls from the suite next to us left in the dorm. By the end of the evening, we had gone through two fifths and the bulk of a 36 pack of Natty Ice. I honestly think we may have had alcohol poisoning. It was one of those times where you drink so much so fast, you're still comprehending what you're doing, but you can't even physically taste it anymore.

We ended up playing Samba de Amigo on Dreamcast (a Nintendo-Wii like experience, only using maracas to match what's on the screen.) We ended up accidentally pulling down the entertainment center and breaking the TV. At some point, the girl noted that she needed to get up and go to church in the morning, so I unplugged an alarm clock, plugged it back in next to her without ever setting the time, and wrote some sort of unreadable note next to her which looked as though you had handed an 8-month-old a pen and a piece of paper.

Everything else is still a blur. The next morning there was puke on the floor of the living room, and we discovered half a set of pool balls and a single pool cue, inflatable boxing gloves, a loaf of bread, and a couch pillow and blanket "fort".

That was the drunkest I had ever been, and will NEVER be that drunk again as long as I live. I was still hammered for two days, and hungover for a third. Every time I blinked, the room would reset to 90 degrees and spin back into place. Worst I have ever felt in my entire life.

My Uncle bought a brand new 'vette in 1985. I confirmed the 150 mph top speed on an isolated two lane. My uncle was white as a ghost.

Cruised at 100 in my 69 Charger going to my sisters house. After a few minutes at speed, I remembered those tiny little drum brakes all the way around and slowed it down. It smelled a little hot after that.

Once at a wedding reception, I had far too many PJ's. At one point, I realized, "Cap'n, you're disco dancing." When i sat down, I accidentally spilled my entire PJ into someone's purse. I decided at that point that I'd better leave. I puked my guts after I got home (walked across the parking lot to my apartment...no drunk driving involved).

The next day at the pool, the mother of the girl I was disco dancing with thanked me for bringing her daughter home. I said I didn't. She said, "Oh, well someone carried her to the door, sat her against it, rang the doorbell and left. Just seemed like something you'd do."

The FBI never did get hold of me back in 1986 to 'answer a few questions.'

You know, that was the nice thing about all of my shenanigans. None of it was ever illegal. Never drank and drove, no damaging anything public, etc. Me and my partner in crime did however, manage to persuade countless other people into doing something that would be classified as such.

I don't know what happened though, I'm such a boring old fart now :(

Back