April 2019 Power PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Come on people someone say they got the e-mail. Looks like it is going to be next Friday. 

NC Results (for me) posted, today.  I did not expect them until the first week of June, at the earliest.  I have no idea if they provide everyone's results at the same time or not.  Nonetheless, I just learned that I passed.  I am still in shock.  Took the test after 28 years since graduating.  Let this an encouraging fact for anyone else in the same position.  It CAN be done.  I thought this would be a "practice", but I miraculously passed.  I used School of PE and lots of self-study.  I have worked in the Electric Utility business for my entire career, so that may have helped as well, but the NEC code is not something I ever studied before going after this exam.  It's just not part of the utility business that I work with.  The NEC was a much larger topic than I expected throughout the April 2019 exam.  My biggest recommendation is to not put it off as long as I did.  If you do, study hard.  Dedicate time.  Clear your evening schedules.  Work practice exams.  Good luck to everyone!

This was my first time taking it (April 2019) after being out of school for roughly 28 years.  My work experience is 100% on the Utility side of Power, so no prior background with NEC.  My personal take is that the morning session was rougher than the afternoon, but maybe we don't all get these in the same order.  Did not manage my time well on the AM session, but finished early on the Afternoon session and had time to go back and review.  Hopefully, that balances out.  I think they far exceeded their published percentage of NEC-related questions on this exam, but that's not all bad, if you learn where to look.  I'm curious if anyone else feels like the AM was the more challenging portion of the exam and if topics covered in the AM/PM sessions are the same at all testing locations.  I'd also agree with other comments that there were some topics that were completely unpredicted.  Not a lot, but a few that were not in any practice or review classes that I took.

Good Luck to everyone waiting on April Results!
I also came from the utility sector, also out of school for a long time (14 years), and also had the exact same take on the test as you did.

Found out today I passed! Hopefully you (and all the folks commiserating on the forum) did as well. 

Edit: just saw you passed! Congrats! 

Last edited by a moderator:
Update. I failed 46/80.

I studied for 8-9 weeks. Mon-friday 4-9 and about 9am-10pm on weekends skipping a day or so here and there. I feel like studying was the hardest part.  My study material included School of PE problems & solutions, Power PE engineering program guides practice test, nec code, nec handbook, nesc , NFPA..and nCEEs practice exam. I studied these all 2-3 times. Making a reference sheet the 2nd or 3rd time around.  I took all of the above plus Graffeo practice test, power PE reference book, power PE study guide, power PE formula book, wildi electrical machines drives & power systems. The uglys references were a waste. I wasn't able to review them. I didn't HV time to review Graffeo but feel lots of the questions were the same as school of PE & engineering pro guides.

All & all I feel like I prepared myself but could HV done better in the first half. I finished early the second half and was able to go through and figure some problems out.  I was pressed for time in the first half so couldn't review problems as much but all & all I feel I had to atleaat make low 70s🤞🏾. Good luck to us all. If I were to do anything different, I would HV started about 1-2 months earlier just so I could skim through all of the school of PE material. I didn't study reliability at all and there were two reliability problems in the second half tht I ended up figuring one out but missed the other one.  Turned out to be very simple answer.  Missouri results are in as of today 5-14-19 but I took in Illinois and hadn't received.

Also Illinois test site (hotel) didn't have any visible clocks!!!! Bring a watch no matter what!

Good luck to us alllllllll☺️

image.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Did anyone who passed the April 2019 PE Power Exam got their license and certificate yet? 

Back