April 2019 Power PE Exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I was prepared on much tougher side. The exam had not really difficult questions except few  but tricky enough to the point I have to say I am not sure If I will pass. Lucky if I did. 

Whether I put in 500 hours or( 200 hours on basic stuff) the outcome would be same in my case is what I think.  People who are good in eliminating wrong answers, they can get many questions right on this exam. 

Last edited by a moderator:
It was my first attempt for the PE exam and I started preparing back in December. I think i have put around 400 hrs since then. Everything was going well and i was pretty confident about the exam. I got laid off along with others , a day before the exam as my company shut down the office due to downturn in business. That did affect my mental status going into the exam but I am not sure to the extent that I will fail because of it.

I did straight guesses for 7 questions in the morning and around 6 in the afternoon. I agree with most of you above that the questions weren't tough but needed some critical thinking to eliminate the wrong answers. I think I will pass if my educated guesses end up being correct. 

People who are good in eliminating wrong answers, they can get many questions right on this exam. 
I wouldn't really say that typically I'm good at eliminating answers but this time around I did that in many cases. I was able to read through a problem and scratch 2 choices out. Again doesn't mean I didn't fall for the NCEES traps. But in all my past attempts I didn't feel like process of elimination was as easy as it was this time.

Second time test taker. 

Felt it was better than last April for sure. Of course there were still way more wtf questions but I could narrow it down to a few. 

So I either did decent or bombed miserably.

I know I didn’t blow it out of the water but I’m not yet convinced I failed.  Handful of face-palms upon exiting the exam and rethinking my approach or answers.....

This is about my 17th (Yes I mean '17'TH') time taking this exam. The AM portion except for the code questions were a bit unexpected for me. I took almost the whole 4 hours to complete. The PM portion was easier for me. I was done about 45 minutes early. Haven't seen the battery stuff before on one of these exams....at least from what I remember.

I think the majority of the difficulty with this exam was the unexpected questions that my have not been used before.

California; You only apply to the CA state board after you pass.......we are going to have a bunch of registered green engineers in like 2 years might not be such a good thing.
Thanks for the info! I'll keep it in my back pocket just in case. Still have one one more try in my state.

Hopefully, we'll get good results in 6 weeks. I will remain positive, but it is very difficult especially when you start recalling some of the problems and then doubting the answer choices that were made during the exam.

It was my first attempt for the PE exam and I started preparing back in December. I think i have put around 400 hrs since then. Everything was going well and i was pretty confident about the exam. I got laid off along with others , a day before the exam as my company shut down the office due to downturn in business. That did affect my mental status going into the exam but I am not sure to the extent that I will fail because of it.

I did straight guesses for 7 questions in the morning and around 6 in the afternoon. I agree with most of you above that the questions weren't tough but needed some critical thinking to eliminate the wrong answers. I think I will pass if my educated guesses end up being correct. 
I'm sorry to hear about your job.  What a terrible variable to throw into your test day.  But let us be confident that it only made you more determined to pass!

I'm glad to read the consensus seems to be it was better on the test takers than the last couple of sessions.  I can't believe it has been a full year since I put myself through that meat grinder.

Am session was good for me, might guessed Couple of problems, PM session was hard, gussed 7 questions. I'm 75% confident. 

Sorry to hear your job situation. About the exam I think I had a similar sorts of experience. Had to guess couple in the morning and afternoon. 

Where are you located?  There are so many recruiters looking for Electrical engineers in my area.  

Messi chin up! Since you are an electrical engineer there is plenty of jobs out there. Hopefully you passed.

Hate to be that guy, but if everyone thinks it was "easier" then you can surely expect the passing grade to go up?

did anyone get the dreaded survey after the exam?  it almost certainly means you failed - NCEES looks to gather info from the non-passing test takers.

the one time i failed i got it, when i passed i didn't receive it.  hopefully none of you already failed.

did anyone get the dreaded survey after the exam?  it almost certainly means you failed - NCEES looks to gather info from the non-passing test takers.

the one time i failed i got it, when i passed i didn't receive it.  hopefully none of you already failed.
fake news

Back