April 2018 SE Exam Results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone have experience with failing an exam twice?  I have passed vertical and am somewhat close on lateral.  According to the MA board you need to provide additional experience or education to demonstrate you have addressed deficient areas.  Seems a little ridiculous with the low pass rates.  Does a couple more months of experience provide them with enough to allow you to retake? 

Does anyone have experience with failing an exam twice?  I have passed vertical and am somewhat close on lateral.  According to the MA board you need to provide additional experience or education to demonstrate you have addressed deficient areas.  Seems a little ridiculous with the low pass rates.  Does a couple more months of experience provide them with enough to allow you to retake? 
they make you describe your experience in the areas your scored poorly on in the exam???

I think all you need to do is take a review course and provide them with evidence that you took it.

I took and passed vertical last year but failed lateral this year.

AM: 24/40 

PM: Acceptable/Acceptable/Acceptable/Slight Improvement Needed.

It is baffling the areas I was deficient in as those are the areas I do most of my work in. I guess living in the northeast not typically designing for seismic put me at a bit of a disadvantage. I think I didn't read the problems and the code-provisions I was citing closely enough. I need to read more thoroughly as to what they are asking and what the code is actually telling me next time.

I took and passed vertical last year but failed lateral this year.

AM: 24/40 

PM: Acceptable/Acceptable/Acceptable/Slight Improvement Needed.

It is baffling the areas I was deficient in as those are the areas I do most of my work in. I guess living in the northeast not typically designing for seismic put me at a bit of a disadvantage. I think I didn't read the problems and the code-provisions I was citing closely enough. I need to read more thoroughly as to what they are asking and what the code is actually telling me next time.
You were only about 4-6 multiple choice questions away. Your afternoon was good enough to pass. You're close keep pushing!

Used quite a few different materials.

Alan Willams - Seismic and Wind Design examples

Seismic Design Manual Volume 1

AISC Seismic Design Manual

Seismic Design of building structures (PPI)

Seismic Design solved problems - Baradar

Wood design Breyer for wood diaphragms and shear walls

Masonry Design book - Brandow and Hart. Very good book for cheap from the Masonry association of Calif and Nevada. Used the Amrhein book as well for specific checks.

Purchased the code master series from SK Ghosh associates. Didn't find it very useful except for the masonry portions.
Did you find any of these books to not be worth your time or did you find them all relatively useful?

I found them all to be useful in some form. Even after your test, you will find these books (all except maybe the PPI books on Seismic Design and Seismic Solved problems) to be useful to have as a practicing engineer. However, the PPI books are useful to get problem solving experience. There is nothing that can replace solving as many different problems as possible.

I passed gravity! Passed the lateral last October. I'm just extremely glad to have this behind me.

I failed the lateral the first time. Took the EET courses after that and got passing results for anyone looking at what to do next.
hi! I know this is a really really after the fact thing - but how much time did you spend studying outside of the EET course? I'm setting up my study schedule for april 2019 lateral, and have no idea what amount of stuff they give you as homework problems/quizzes, and I want to block out enough time for getting some other practice problems out of the way before the course starts. Also, if you have the schedules for the courses still, that would be super helpful for me! (to project when in dec/jan everything will be starting up, how long of a break for xmas etc). Thank you in advance :)

hi! I know this is a really really after the fact thing - but how much time did you spend studying outside of the EET course? I'm setting up my study schedule for april 2019 lateral, and have no idea what amount of stuff they give you as homework problems/quizzes, and I want to block out enough time for getting some other practice problems out of the way before the course starts. Also, if you have the schedules for the courses still, that would be super helpful for me! (to project when in dec/jan everything will be starting up, how long of a break for xmas etc). Thank you in advance :)
Honestly, the course is very thorough and inclusive. I didn't spend much time outside of the class studying other 2 additional practice tests I took closer to the exam date. For the lateral exam, I did read some of "Seismic and Wind Forces Design Examples" by Alan Williams just to get another perspective to the material but I don't think that's really necessary. I don't have any schedules but the class moves quickly and there is plenty of practice material between the quizzes and homework. I think you'll find you have your hands full, especially if you're taking both courses at the same time. For an example timeline, I started covering material in mid July for the October exam, and early to mid January for the April Exam. Hope this helps!

Back