April 2014 - PM exam

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
i took the Mechanical Systems and Materials depth. i used every bit of all 4 hours for both the AM and PM sections. in fact i didn't really have time left to run a cursory check on my answers. i walked away from the exam feeling like:

AM Breadth: i left 6 problems on the table; either i blatantly guessed or wasn't confident in my answers.

PM Depth: same story left 6 on the table; either guessed or wasn't confident.

on each section i had 34 problems i felt confident on. really confident. however i know the laws of probability come into play. i'm sure fell victim to some simple mistakes and chose some of their dummy answers.

fingers crossed, the weeks are dragging by slowly.

i took the Mechanical Systems and Materials depth. i used every bit of all 4 hours for both the AM and PM sections. in fact i didn't really have time left to run a cursory check on my answers. i walked away from the exam feeling like:

AM Breadth: i left 6 problems on the table; either i blatantly guessed or wasn't confident in my answers.

on each section i had 34 problems i felt confident on. really confident. however i know the laws of probability come into play. i'm sure fell victim to some simple mistakes and chose some of their dummy answers.

If you only guessed on 6 problems in the PM, then that is pretty impressive. I had to guess on more than that although some of them were intelligent guesses. You have to figure that you will get approximately 25% of those guesses correct. Anyway, if what you say is true, you probably easily passed.

Just received my results from PA. I passed! No more brick shitting for me.

If you only guessed on 6 problems in the PM, then that is pretty impressive. I had to guess on more than that although some of them were intelligent guesses. You have to figure that you will get approximately 25% of those guesses correct. Anyway, if what you say is true, you probably easily passed.

i passed and my state doesn't give a passing score, so clearly the only logical assumption i can make is that i scored an 80/80. i'm a **** genius! :party-smiley-048:

Last edited by a moderator:
I know we are all engineers but I'm truly surprised by all the analysis on the score. If you passed then why care what the percentages was? Personally I'm just happy to be done with the **** thing but that's just me...

I know we are all engineers but I'm truly surprised by all the analysis on the score. If you passed then why care what the percentages was? Personally I'm just happy to be done with the **** thing but that's just me...
Agreed. I guess engineers just like to analyze way too much.

Just curious, but are test scores and passing cutoffs normalized across all mechanical PE depth modules?

Or are passing cuttoffs more granular and grouped per depth module?

If it's the former, then there's more tactical merit to finding the "easier" depth module.

Just curious, but are test scores and passing cutoffs normalized across all mechanical PE depth modules?

Or are passing cuttoffs more granular and grouped per depth module?

If it's the former, then there's more tactical merit to finding the "easier" depth module.
The former. If your job is HVAC, go with that or T&F. My job relies a lot on Machine Design, so that is what I took, despite being equally strong in T&F.

Back