Application Approval in CA

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Update for April 2015 Applications in California

I submitted my application the first week of October, and got my first postcard back in December. I called in January and was told that the application was still under review. I called today and the person I spoke with thought the evaluator would be sending out notification this week. The NCEES deadline is in 10 days (2/19)! Is anyone else still waiting for a second postcard in CA?

I have 7 years of work experience, a BS in Civil from an accredited university, an EIT, and submitted 5 PE recommendations (in sealed and stamped envelopes), so I don't really think there's a reason I wouldn't be approved, but it would be nice to know for sure!

I've been studying for months (kicked into high gear in January) and will be super bummed if I can't take the test in April.

Update for April 2015 Applications in California

I submitted my application the first week of October, and got my first postcard back in December. I called in January and was told that the application was still under review. I called today and the person I spoke with thought the evaluator would be sending out notification this week. The NCEES deadline is in 10 days (2/19)! Is anyone else still waiting for a second postcard in CA?

I have 7 years of work experience, a BS in Civil from an accredited university, an EIT, and submitted 5 PE recommendations (in sealed and stamped envelopes), so I don't really think there's a reason I wouldn't be approved, but it would be nice to know for sure!

I've been studying for months (kicked into high gear in January) and will be super bummed if I can't take the test in April.

Myself and a friend are in the same boat as you except in NJ. We both applied months ago and have yet to hear anything definitive. When we call we get a line like "there's a lot of applications still to be processed." The board meets the third Thursday of every month, but that's one day before the NCEES deadline and the PCS (thanks NJ) payment deadline. I called PCS and they told me that I would not be refunded if I'm not approved. I'll be pretty upset I don't get to take the test and I'm out $375 if that's the way it goes.

One of the engineers in our firm has recently (well, for the past 3 months) been going to the end of the earth and back trying to get reciprocity in NJ (he's licensed in a dozen other states just fine).

The good news... I suspect the NJ office is a pain for everyone, and somehow still functions. The bad news is the good news.

Lomarandil - I found out my application was denied last week, but was given the opportunity to resubmit with more evidence of my work experience, and got approved! Good luck - hope you find out today!

Lomarandil - I found out my application was denied last week, but was given the opportunity to resubmit with more evidence of my work experience, and got approved! Good luck - hope you find out today!

This is why it is always good to apply early, not right up against the deadline. That way there is time to still get the board any missing info, if requested. The first time I applied (for the April 2010 administration), I forgot to include my college transcripts (Doh!) but I had submitted my app too late to get the transcripts in time once my evaluator informed me. Needless to say, my first exam was the October 2010 administration. :)

I went ahead and ordered a handful of transcripts for myself for times like this. Of course I could forget just as well. But I never know when I'll need one, and I wouldn't want to press my luck if there is an important deadline coming up. Not just a tip for the PE exam either - I actually needed a transcripts last week for a job.

I went ahead and ordered a handful of transcripts for myself for times like this. Of course I could forget just as well. But I never know when I'll need one, and I wouldn't want to press my luck if there is an important deadline coming up. Not just a tip for the PE exam either - I actually needed a transcripts last week for a job.
Good advice. For this particular case though (CA PE App), you need sealed transcripts. If I remember correctly, they have to go straight from the college to Sacramento.

^ I believe you are correct.

I could never imagine a job asking for transcripts...

I've been asked to bring an unofficial copy along so they could see what courses you took and verify the GPA on your resume.

If I recall though, they never actually looked at them.

Good advice. For this particular case though (CA PE App), you need sealed transcripts. If I remember correctly, they have to go straight from the college to Sacramento.
^ I believe you are correct.

I could never imagine a job asking for transcripts...
+1. I was also curious about the need for them to usually be sealed and directly sent by the corresponding university.

I've also worked in quite a few industries and have never come across a request for transcripts. A qualification/certification and experience record/resume would generally seem much more applicable if looking to perform similar work.

I submitted my PE application to CA state board including my sealed transcript from the university I graduated from. I am still waiting for approval through comity. I believe that it is not necessary to be sent directly from the university as long as the envelope is sealed.

I submitted my PE application to CA state board including my sealed transcript from the university I graduated from. I am still waiting for approval through comity. I believe that it is not necessary to be sent directly from the university as long as the envelope is sealed.
I confirm that the transcript does not have to be sent directly from the university to the CA board. I submitted my application including my sealed transcript and my application has been approved.

I just received my ticket information to schedule the survey / seismic tests with Prometric. I'm guessing they went out to everyone who was approved today?

I'm also from California and had a similiar situation. The deadline for me was Nov. 3 and that's the date I put everything in the mail. I got the confirmation letter in early January confirming that they received everything. I got my approval in early February I believe. I also wasn't sure when I should start studying. I ended up starting my hardcore studying in early January (test was April 17th). After having taken the test, I can say that I am glad that I didn't wait until I got the approval to start really studying. It just wouldn't have been enough time. And if I had to redo it all over again, I'd start studying in November. That's with 1-2 hours studying per night on average.

Still waiting on hearing back for the October 2015 exam. I started studying although im hesitant to go all out thinking my application is gonna get denied.

Anybody got any update on Spring-2016 application approval? I sent my application (Mechanical) in late October, but haven't heard back anything from the board since then.

Back