Anyone else take civil-geotech?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

teammike

Reaction score
I have seen alot of people posting about transportation and construction but haven't seen many post about civil geotech. Anyone else take this? pass/fail?

I took the Civil-Geotech in October 2009 and in October 2010 in Florida. I received passing results just before the new year.

I took Civil-Geotech in April 2010 and passed at first attempt. I don't know how I did it, though, because the test was nothing like I was prepared for. I made guesses all throughout the afternoon portion - scary experience. I am in Transportation. I suppose if I worked in Geotech, the test might not have felt as difficult. People don't choose Geotech - and in my opinion, good thing they don't. I think typical PE prep books don't provide the "right" information for the Civil-Geotech test. If you didn't pass last October, good luck next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took the Geotech depth part and passed. The exam is pretty straight forward if you work in the geotechnical/geological field.

I took Civil-Geotech in Oct. 2010 and passed. It was my first attempt.

For me, the depth part was easier than the general. However, I had to guess every earthquake problem. I wish I could see my diagnostic report.

FYI, I brought one soil mechanics textbook, one foundation engineering textbook, course notes for grad. level classes, and NAVFAC DM-7. I think the DM7 was very useful. I could find few useful examples from my course notes too. The others (SM book and FE book) gave me peace of mind.

Back