Any terrible exam day experiences?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Couldn't sleep the night before the exam due to loud music blaring from a building right across my hotel room. Maybe slept 3 hours. Got to the exam site just fine. Took my ID from my wallet and put in on my lap while I was sitting in the car so I wouldn't forget. Except, I forgot it was on my lap and I got out of the car and was waiting for the exam room doors to open. When the announcement happened that they will need to see ID and exam registration, I had a panic attack since I couldn't find my ID. Had a friend watch my stuff while I made my way to the car dizzy. As soon as I opened the car door, I saw the ID peeking out from the bottom of the seat. Luckily I didn't have to go searching for it. This was the most eventful moment of the day. Exam went fine. No issues with the exam site or anything else.

The night before my exam, in April 2016, I tossed and turned all night, then finally said the and got up.  I wanted to eat a good breakfast and the only thing open was "Waffle House". I arrived at Waffle house around 4:00am  and decided to go with the scattered, smothered and covered hash browns with my meal,  along with about 3 pots of coffee.  I surfed the internet on my phone during my breakfast and realized it was an election year, March Madness was over, and baseball season had started (I had no idea life went on for everyone not taking the test).  I left WH at about 5:15/5:30-ish to make the 20 minute drive to the exam site.  As I neared the exam site, "It" hit me.  Luckily for me, my office at the time was only about 1/2 mile from the exam site, so I made a quick detour.  My office is not like the "home field advantage", but at 5:40 am I had the place to myself.  After "camping out" for another hour letting things work themselves out, I realized I needed another pair of underwear, which I know I had not packed (I should have listened to my mom all those years ago). Luckily for me, I had a workout bag in my office.  I found a pair of boxer briefs that were actually clean because I put everything on hold when I started to study for this dammed test and forgot it was there.  I made a quick change and went off the exam site.  I am sure some people thought I was being anti-social by keeping my distance and keeping to myself, but I was actually to to protect them from the residual effects.  In the morning session, it took a lot effort for me not to just rip a big one, but I did have some small silent ones that were not too bad (everyone was too engrossed with the exam to notice). 

Not to change the subject, but years ago I tried to order to a salad at Waffle House.  I was greeted with a "Hon, we don't have salads".  I pointed to the menu and showed my waitress (that is what they were called then) the salad on the menu.  "I'll be dammed", Wanda (the waitress)  said.  She then yelled "Earl (who was the cook), do you know we have salads on the menu.  "Yep" Earl answered.  "You ever make one" asked Wanda.  "Nope", replied Earl.  I then decided I had better go for the scattered, smothered, and covered and coffee and have stuck with that as my go to Waffle Hose cuisine.       

Last edited by a moderator:
Back