Any idea about TX reults?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I feel your pain so hard. I took the exam the first time in April and felt okay about it and failed pretty badly. I was shocked because I took the testmasters course and felt like I had studied intensely, but structures and geotech got me good. Also the means and methods and cost estimating. I immediately came to this forum to see what I could do to improve, because, again, I've been doing my job for almost a decade now and there was a nice bonus and promotion dangling in front of me that I missed out on. Not passing felt very very bad, but I didn't know what to do. BUT there is a topic in the civil construction forum and I don't know how to link things, but the title is as follows: How I Passed the October 2015 Civil-Construction Exam (1st Attempt)I poured through all of the suggestions and wrote down all of the references and practice exams and got to shopping. FOLLOW THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS AND YOU WILL PASS. I also mostly used his suggestions to set up a study schedule. I highly advise putting a study calendar together to know how long it will actually take to hit all of the videos and references (depending on which practice course you choose).

I am a terrible standardized test taker. In college I would have to study way more than other people to score well as my anxiety makes me freeze in high stress situations. So I spent $1000 additionally on top of the course and books I had already purchased (choke!) the first go around and started over. I dedicated two months to re-watching and studying testmasters breadth and references and then spent a month and a half on testmasters construction videos and all of the recommended construction references. I would typically spend a day for each reference to familiarize myself with where things were located in each text. Then two weeks before the exam I pulled out the 7 practice exams I had purchased. Some were just depth or breadth and some were combined. I was scoring decently on these exams, but went through them afterwards to really make sure I was familiar with what the question is ACTUALLY asking, because as we know, this test has the tricks. Seeing more of the sneaky ways to ask a question really helps in identifying the pot holes you can fall in.

Without all of the references I would not have passed this time around. I cannot stress how important it is to buy all of the recommended references and really know where things are in the books. Honestly I used my indexes like crazy, but it was still good to know the layout of each book. I would not use testmasters, I don't feel like it helped me all that much, but I was already so financially invested in it that I utilized it again (every little bit counts). I have heard very good things about EET and I really liked the Goswami Breadth and Depth books and practice exams.

I gave up this entire year of my social life to pass this exam and, I've got to be honest, walking out this time around I felt I did much better, but I didn't know if it was enough to pass. Thankfully it was, but I realized there is always room for improvement and working more problems. And additionally, you scored 67%, you know what you're doing, the only barrier is that final passing score. You are no better an engineer today than on passing day. I remember feeling like I shouldn't be doing my job if I couldn't even pass this exam with so much work experience, but once you pass you just feel relief. I didn't feel any better or smarter, just done. Good luck to you in your studies, I know how this feels and trying to avoid this feeling again is all we can try to do.
Can you please provide the names of the 7 practice exams you purchased? I only have NCEES breadth and depth for now.

Can you please provide the names of the 7 practice exams you purchased? I only have NCEES breadth and depth for now.
If purchasing old exams, make sure you check when the exams were written. While most information may still be relevant, there may be some information on those practice exams that are no longer on the exam, or new topics not included in those practice exams. If it's code related problems,  the test answers could be based on outdated codes. 

So I purchased all of the goswami breadth and depth exams I could find. And then on amazon I bought the Civil breadth and depth exams. The links for the different types are below:

Civil PE Practice Exam: Construction Depth Version A https://www.amazon.com/dp/1544275226?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

There are a few different types for breadth and depth. I purchased all that applied to my studies

Practice Exams for the Civil PE Examination: Two practice exams (and solutions) geared towards the breadth portion of the Civil PE Exam https://www.amazon.com/dp/1494234858?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

these are goswami and I bought all of the goswami exams that applied to my topic

Six-Minute Solutions for Civil PE Exam: Construction Depth Problems https://www.amazon.com/dp/159126507X?ref=yo_pop_ma_swf

this was also very beneficial for my studies, they have it in all topics I believe... for me it was just good to sit and work a ton of problems.

I feel your pain so hard. I took the exam the first time in April and felt okay about it and failed pretty badly. I was shocked because I took the testmasters course and felt like I had studied intensely, but structures and geotech got me good. Also the means and methods and cost estimating. I immediately came to this forum to see what I could do to improve, because, again, I've been doing my job for almost a decade now and there was a nice bonus and promotion dangling in front of me that I missed out on. Not passing felt very very bad, but I didn't know what to do. BUT there is a topic in the civil construction forum and I don't know how to link things, but the title is as follows: How I Passed the October 2015 Civil-Construction Exam (1st Attempt)I poured through all of the suggestions and wrote down all of the references and practice exams and got to shopping. FOLLOW THOSE RECOMMENDATIONS AND YOU WILL PASS. I also mostly used his suggestions to set up a study schedule. I highly advise putting a study calendar together to know how long it will actually take to hit all of the videos and references (depending on which practice course you choose).

I am a terrible standardized test taker. In college I would have to study way more than other people to score well as my anxiety makes me freeze in high stress situations. So I spent $1000 additionally on top of the course and books I had already purchased (choke!) the first go around and started over. I dedicated two months to re-watching and studying testmasters breadth and references and then spent a month and a half on testmasters construction videos and all of the recommended construction references. I would typically spend a day for each reference to familiarize myself with where things were located in each text. Then two weeks before the exam I pulled out the 7 practice exams I had purchased. Some were just depth or breadth and some were combined. I was scoring decently on these exams, but went through them afterwards to really make sure I was familiar with what the question is ACTUALLY asking, because as we know, this test has the tricks. Seeing more of the sneaky ways to ask a question really helps in identifying the pot holes you can fall in.

Without all of the references I would not have passed this time around. I cannot stress how important it is to buy all of the recommended references and really know where things are in the books. Honestly I used my indexes like crazy, but it was still good to know the layout of each book. I would not use testmasters, I don't feel like it helped me all that much, but I was already so financially invested in it that I utilized it again (every little bit counts). I have heard very good things about EET and I really liked the Goswami Breadth and Depth books and practice exams.

I gave up this entire year of my social life to pass this exam and, I've got to be honest, walking out this time around I felt I did much better, but I didn't know if it was enough to pass. Thankfully it was, but I realized there is always room for improvement and working more problems. And additionally, you scored 67%, you know what you're doing, the only barrier is that final passing score. You are no better an engineer today than on passing day. I remember feeling like I shouldn't be doing my job if I couldn't even pass this exam with so much work experience, but once you pass you just feel relief. I didn't feel any better or smarter, just done. Good luck to you in your studies, I know how this feels and trying to avoid this feeling again is all we can try to do.
Thanks a lot for your advice,i had eet reveiw class and i know that instructors are awesome, but i noticed that i missed some of very easy questions especially at morning time i do not know why, may be because of sterss and not getting enough sleep the night before exam at hotel,i will reveiw all videos and try to be more familiar with my references,I will nail this exam this time.

Man I hear you. I was told I would get promoted if I passed, and our company gives out a nice bonus to people receiving their professional licenses.  Would have been so nice to put towards my wedding.  Keep your head up.  You're going to pass.  This is just a temporary setback.   
Thanks a lot

Back