Any body here in the Energy/Gas/Oil business?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jcbabb

Reaction score
I am a consulting engineer for a firm that does MEP design (Mechanical, Electrical, and Plumbing) for construction projects. I am really happy where I am at, but I have been advised by a mentor to check out what is available in the local oil and gas type companies such as Sandridge, Chesapeake, Devon, OneOK, etc. I was wondering if there is anybody here that does work for a company such as these, and exactly what is is that you do for them. Can anybody give me any ideas of what opportunities exist and a salary range that may be there?

I am really just curious to see whats out there since my experience is pretty limited to only what I've seen. I appreciate any info that you could offer.

I have worked mostly in the utilities and transmission system operations relm as an electrical engineer. But I was at an MEP firm for about 8 months. I really enjoyed the work, and the experience I gained helped me sucessfully pass the P.E. this April. I left MEP because the firm I was at was poorly managed, and did not have much room for young guys to move up the ladder short of becoming a partner. My advice would be investigate the energy/oil/gas sector, but also look into the electrical utilities and regional transmission organizations as well. There are lots of good jobs out there for electrical engineers you just have to find something you like.

Best of luck.

Back