AISC ASD Manual

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jambruins

Reaction score
I am going through the 6 minute solutions and a few question say to refer to the AISC ASD manual. Does anyone know where I can download this or do I have to buy it? Also, it is necessary to have for the morning structural questions? I am assuming it is as the 6 minute solutions refer to it quite a bit. Thanks.

I am going through the 6 minute solutions and a few question say to refer to the AISC ASD manual. Does anyone know where I can download this or do I have to buy it? Also, it is necessary to have for the morning structural questions? I am assuming it is as the 6 minute solutions refer to it quite a bit. Thanks.
Do you have an old version of 6 minute solutions? The AISC manual is the steel code and I couldn't imagine anywhere you could download it. It is a slightly different design philosophy than LRFD. If you buy the newest Steel code it has both the ASD and LRFD methodologies in it but the exam does not require that a specific method is used. Test takers choice. Are there any recent CE graduates at your company? If there are, then I would bet they have a copy from their steel design course. I would just try to borrow one from your company, another employee, or other local engineer, if you are not planning on doing much steel design in the near future.

As to whether it is necessary for the AM section of the PE. None of the morning questions are really code based unless you are taking the SE1. Morning questions are more theory driven and should be able to be answered with the CERM. I only cracked one code book in the AM and that was just as a double check. You should be able to get away with not having it if you are not doing the structural afternoon exam. If you are taking the structural afternoon, then yes you will need a steel code.

http://engineerboards.com/index.php?showto...p;#entry6710322

Here is a link to another part of the forum where this has been talked about...

What afternoon discipline are you planning on taking?

If you're going to get it I would recommend getting an old version (on ebay they're cheap).

But i don't think it's necessary for the morning section. If anything, I would print out the beam tables. Then learn shear/moment on your own and you should be good.

It is 100% needed for afternoon structural though :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the help. I am probably going to take the Construction afternoon test.

Back