Advice for those out of school for awhile

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ENVEguy

Reaction score
So I just wanted to offer some advice for those that never took the FE right after school (or in their senior year). First a little background on me...graduated in 2002 with a BS in Computer Engineering (CPE). Finishing up my MS in Environmental Engineering (ENVE) right now in 2011....been working full time in the middle. As the CPE career really was my focus right out of school, there really was little or no value getting the EIT after my name back then. I dont know how or if that has changed but it just didn't have the same weight that say a Civil guy would have with EIT after his name. So fast forward and now I realize the value of a PE in the Civil/Environmental world and had wished I took the test before so I could have just sat for the PE.

Took the test last Oct and passed it. Used really only 2 things to study, the NCEES Fundamentals of Engineering Supplied-Reference Handbook

and the Fundamentals of Engineering Review Manual (FERM). Those did it for me. Tips to passing the FE for me can be simplified for me to two things. First I used the FERM by going over things that I had little or no knowledge or just plain forgot. This for me meant thermo and statics/dynamics. I really feel it was helpful. Second, know the supplied handbook and know how to use it. Become familiar with it and know how to use the index and where things in it are located.

Know how to manage your time. In both the morning and the afternoon sessions I finished with about 15-20 min left over...but this was with me skipping about 5-8 questions in the morning and 3-6 questions in the afternoon. These questions I had NO CLUE how to do at first glance. Bit when I went back, I used the ref manual and was able to get actual answers taht were listed as a selection. I can say that I was pretty confident that those questions got me some help in passing and it was all because I had time to go back and use the tools avail ( the ref manual) to figure them out. So drill and make sure you manage your time and you all should do fine.

Back