A week in Houston

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The only downer with the Aquarium restaurant, is that a ton of people bring their kids, and it's VERY noisy in there, and they can be quite a disturbance.
That was probably me. We probably where there at the same time without knowing it. B)

I live a few minutes from Webster. Maybe we (meaning me, you, and CivengPE) could get together while you're in town!

Other than that, honestly, Houston in August is not much fun. You will want to be staying inside as much as humanly possible. I'm not sure if we've had a single day in the past month that it didn't at least hit 90F... most days we are closer to 100F... and August is worse!

How old are your kids?

Galveston has some fun stuff to do that covers a wide age range... both of my kids (age 15 months and 8yrs) like the Moody Gardens Aquarium. We haven't done the other Moody Gardens stuff since before the baby was born, but there's lots to do there. Check out www.moodygardens.com . My daughter and FIL like the rain forest pyramid, but most people think the aquarium is better. The Discovery pyramid sucked as of 2 years ago... we haven't gone back.

If I had a whole day to spend at Galveston, and didn't have to worry about nap-times... I'd skip the beach and spend the day at Moody Gardens. Get an all-day pass ($5 off if you buy it online). I'd probably hit Palm Beach (sort of a cross between a beach and mini-water park) in the morning. After lunch I'd stay inside and hit the pyramids (Aquarium is best) and catch as many of the IMAX shows as possible. They also have a couple of short (12-15 minute) shows with some cool special effects. They are worth catching if you get the all-day pass... but not worth paying for individual tickets. Most of the shows are very dinosaur heavy right now, but most kids like that.

Right next to Moody Gardens is Schlitterbahn. www.schlitterbahn.com/gal/. They have some huge water slides (with correspondingly huge lines, especially on weekends), lazy rivers, and other water-park things. Some of it is inside, but I don't know how they handle inside temperatures in the summer (it's heated in the winter). Personally, I want to go back, but without the kids. Unless the kids are at least 48" AND daredevils, most of the slides are going to be too much for them.

I'll PM you my contact info, in case you want to get together while you're in town.

I'm just wondering why Houston?
I think if it were me I'd go to Florida, New Orleans, New York, DC, Chicago, any other big city with cool stuff. I equate Houston to Atlanta and having lived there there is now way I would go there for vacation.
basically because ive never been there. ive been to chicago, florida (multiple times), new orleans, blablabla. probably wont ever go to NY and Ive heard DC is the worst place to visit in August. Houstons climate cant be much worse than west kentucky and Im used to that (plus they have an ocean). From what i can tell people that HAVE lived there dont think there is much to it (houston i mean). I live 30 minutes from the land between the lakes in kentucky and would never dream of spending my vacation time there but thousands of people drive a long way to do just that. To each his own.

Last edited by a moderator:
Houstons climate cant be much worse than west kentucky and Im used to that (plus they have an ocean).
Yes Houston's climate in August can be much much worse then Kentucky's. It's hot as hell, muggy as crap and it's not near an ocean, it's near the gulf which in the summer is like a warm bathtub. A very very dirty bathtub.

Enjoy. :)

Yes Houston's climate in August can be much much worse then Kentucky's. It's hot as hell, muggy as crap and it's not near an ocean, it's near the gulf which in the summer is like a warm bathtub. A very very dirty bathtub.
Enjoy. :)

I'll second that. When I lived in KC everyone talked about how bad the heat was. It hit 90 maybe 5 times the whole summer and the humidity never crossed 80%. Down here we have not had a single day below 90 since the beginning of june and we may have had one day where the humidity was below 90%. And I've heard Houston is worse than Charleston because the Gulf is so much warmer than the water on the east coast.

Back