A good start to the day

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Other than the ALL display design flaw, I do have another MAJOR complaint. The numb-nuts at HP decided to make the body of the calculator ALMOST straight... but not quite. When I use it for a straight-edge I get slight errors. It really messes up with nomographs!
Yeah, and if your drafting teacher saw you using it as a straight edge, he'd....... wait a minute.

never mind. Just being :eek:ld-025: again......

^^^ Stop teasing me!!! :p
Stop trying to tempt me to buy another RPN ... I will NOT give in to the temptation!! :brickwall:

JR
The HP 33s and 35s have algebraic input... That is what I use, and although I have to use the second function (purple arrow) to insert my lovely brackets, it doesn't bother me... I am actually quite quick with it.

I am actually more accustom to using it now that I am Mr. Bumble-fingers when it comes to using my TI-85 that I have had since '98. I am so slow with my TI now because of the few changes in key placement between the two calculators...

Or course, the only time I really use a calculator is to study for the exams. At work I prefer to use MathCad... I even use MathCad to do my scratch work...

entering in some numbers into my HP 33s
You actually used the HP 33s after taking the exams? I went right back to my HP48G. The 33s I have at home for when I need to use a calculator - since I have the RPN bug too and can't use anything but... The main thing I hate about the 33s is that the stack is only 4 lines where on the 48G it is more than I will ever need (but 4 isn't enough).

^^ I actually used a TI-85 before the exams and then made the 180 degree turnaround to HP.

What can I say, I have been bitten by the RPN bug.

I honestly never have used the graphing HP's before though. What are they like?

^^^ I got the RPN bug back in High School when I started using my first HP - will never go back! As far as graphing, the only one I have used is the HP48G which like I said I got in high school (1994-95 approx). The main advantage I had with the HP over people using a TI is that with the HP you didn't have to solve Y... I used a TI some in high school, and some other stuff it appeared better at finding points on the graph. Maybe someone else has some experience with graphing on the newer HP's?

So I start doing some calculations this morning and when entering in some numbers into my HP 33s my "2" button suddenly feels wierd. It actually has broken away from its support and now acts like a teeter-totter. (I can now tip the key from side to side in it's encloser.)
Is this a good start to the day or I am a Gigantic DoucheBag

So, I promptly order a HP 35s from Amazon. Does anyone have this calculator? How do you like it?

The HP 35s is way better than the 33s. The 33s stepped way out of bounds as far as HP calculator format goes.

The HP 35s is not the quality calculator HP made years ago, but what is now days...use cheaper parts and sell it for a higher price!

Last edited by a moderator:
My TI85 and HP33's are still going strong. I miss my HP48GX which died either due to bad batteries, or a leaky sliding window in my truck that I got rid off this summer.

It came in handy during those slow days at work with all of the games loaded up on it.

So I start doing some calculations this morning and when entering in some numbers into my HP 33s my "2" button suddenly feels wierd. It actually has broken away from its support and now acts like a teeter-totter. (I can now tip the key from side to side in it's encloser.)
Is this a good start to the day or what?

So, I promptly order a HP 35s from Amazon. Does anyone have this calculator? How do you like it?
Thread hijack in the name of promoting engineering geekiness:

Have you considered opening her up to see if you can fix it?

My son (at 4 years old) left my 33s outside (don't ask me why, I don't know) where I found it the morning after a torrential downpour. It was drenched. I photographed the buttons (for reassembly confirmation) and took it apart into as many pieces as I could, cleaned everything and let it dry out for a week. Re-assembled and still works just fine.

I also spilled a Dr. Pepper on my fx-115MS about a week before the PE exam. That actually required a lot more work, and one of my buttons is still not quite right - but I trusted it enough to use during the exam, and it is my daily driver of choice.

I've taken lots of calculators apart by now - with patience it is usually worth it as there is not much to them. Anybody else?

Yeah, I was having trouble with my TI-85 going on the fritz. Took it apart, put it back together and it has worked fine since (~6 years). I think it was just a loose battery contact.

ODB,

I honestly never thought about taking it apart. I suppose that it might have made more sense than buying a new calculator.

Then again, I never really liked the 33s. I suppose that I just needed an excuse to buy a 35s.

Now that I've been using my 35s for a few months now, it is hands down better than my 33s. I traded up. :thumbs:

Well, when you do, make sure you video it so all can enjoy it on YouTube!

Back