3rd vehicle suggesions, help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dexman PE PMP

Internationally PMP'n his PE-ness
Reaction score
So I'm looking at getting a 3rd vehicle to help me get to work once the snow flies. I'm looking to find something off of Craigslist for ~$3k, 4x4 or AWD, and enough space to put 2 kids. This is something I'd use for the 10-15 days out of the winter when my Camaro just won't work on the hills & ice/snow. Obviously not a daily driver, but does need to be reliable enough to handle cold, snow, & ice.

The 3 vehicles I've narrowed it down to are:

1) mid 90's Jeep Wrangler (hard top). Tons of available parts, relatively easy to work on, wont take up a ton of space in the garage. Not sure how it handles in the snow, plus it doesn't have a ton of space (barely enough for the 2 kiddos)

2) Late 90's Jeep Cherokee (not the Grand). Slightly newer than the Wrangler, equally available parts, easy to work on, definately enough space for the family. However, I know they are notorious for transmission problems

3) '99-02 Chevy Blazer. Definately enough space. Don't really know much on reliability or ease of repairability.

I'm leaning toward the Wrangler simply because I can also use it as a summer "toy" where I can build it up a little and take it off-roading, camping. There seem to be a ton of each available right now, which helps with selection and price, and allows me to shop around a bit.

Thoughts, suggestions?

Wrangler, cuase I want one.

Light weight so add sand bags, had some friends roll one on black ice.

If your a good driver, check speed in conditions, then its all about Ff = µWp

Since µ is relatively constant for a particular enviro, Wp can alter the state of Ff available.

Example: On a mountain pass, winter had been in full swing. I had just crested the top and starting the 35mph descent on compact snow and ice w/ falling snow. During the descent a Les Schwab double trailer goes flying by at prob. 50, it was a good example of (µWp). Then of course there's the D-bags w/ jacked up trucks driving like a bat, who don't wreck but could be testing the boundary of sane driving (so who knows).

Should be fine with any 4x4 and some weight. Wrangler has the extra utility factor +1. Get a winch and a pack shovel, you'll be fine.

Old ford f-150

Jeeps are for kids and are a misserable ride.

I had a CJ-7 when I was younger and grand cherokee for a work vehicle.

Plus you would get the convienence of a truck.

Ford Bronco. The later ones are pretty plush, have plenty of power, and can go about anywhere.

i had a 1998 blazer right after college. It was a decent ride, crappy gas mileage, I was getting like 16-18 mpg on the Highway. But like all vehicles on ice, it didn't work so well one icy morning. I hit a patch of black ice and went spinning on the interstate.

College friend had a Wrangler and that thing took FOREVER to warm up on cold mornings. It was miserable. It also was kinda squirrely on the snow, because it was so light. He had a Jeep truck as his winter vehicle instead.

Another friend drives a Cherokee that he loves. Seems more family friendly.

A few people around here are still driving older Blazers and seem to do okay.

Increase your budget/price to $6k and buy a used extended cab tacoma. It's not great in the back seat, but it's reliable. And if your rarely driving it, the kids will survice the jump seats. In the summer it'll be good for moving things since it sounds like you have no truck.

Last edited by a moderator:
i had a 1998 blazer right after college. It was a decent ride, crappy gas mileage, I was getting like 16-18 mpg on the Highway. But like all vehicles on ice, it didn't work so well one icy morning. I hit a patch of black ice and went spinning on the interstate.
My brother lives in Denver and has an 2001 Blazer, he says it's shit on snow and ice and has spun the thing a couple of times. He's looking for something else to drive this winter.

1980s Toyota Land Cruiser--we have one (1985), it has never let us down. my husband hit a deer at top speed, only repair was to bolt on a new fender, not so much for the deer.

I like Ford Broncos, too. We had a 1973...one of my favorite vehicles ever.

Manual lock-out hubs are the way to go for 4WD, though...

Increase your budget/price to $6k and buy a used extended cab tacoma. It's not great in the back seat, but it's reliable. And if your rarely driving it, the kids will survice the jump seats. In the summer it'll be good for moving things since it sounds like you have no truck.
We traded one in at Larry Miller Toyota in Colorado Springs. You could go buy that one!

1980s Toyota Land Cruiser--we have one (1985), it has never let us down. my husband hit a deer at top speed, only repair was to bolt on a new fender, not so much for the deer.
:plusone:

With 187k on my TacoBlanca with minimal maintenance, Toyota owns me. An older 4WD should be had for a reasonable $. With a little extra weight in the back and some good snow tires, I feel like I could take it anywhere, any conditions.

[edit: the jumpseat is getting a little tight for teenagers now though]

Kiddos are still in car/booster seats so I would need something to accomodate that. I'm not worried about a truck because I rarely need one, and the few times I might, I have a 4x8 flatbed trailer (with removable 2' high sides) I can pull with my wife's Jeep Commander.

I would really like a Wrangler simply because it would be another "toy", but the more I think about it, the Cherokee might be a little better. The thing I need to emphasize is that I don't have a ton of space to park this thing, so I need something smaller (no full-size trucks/SUV's).

The other, less desireable option would be to find a used AWD sedan in the $10k range and finance it. This would then become my wife's daily driver and turn her Jeep into my "backup". I really don't want to finance anything, so it's low on the option list.

Wrangler, cuase I want one.
Light weight so add sand bags, had some friends roll one on black ice.

If your a good driver, check speed in conditions, then its all about Ff = µWp

Since µ is relatively constant for a particular enviro, Wp can alter the state of Ff available.

Example: On a mountain pass, winter had been in full swing. I had just crested the top and starting the 35mph descent on compact snow and ice w/ falling snow. During the descent a Les Schwab double trailer goes flying by at prob. 50, it was a good example of (µWp). Then of course there's the D-bags w/ jacked up trucks driving like a bat, who don't wreck but could be testing the boundary of sane driving (so who knows).

Should be fine with any 4x4 and some weight. Wrangler has the extra utility factor +1. Get a winch and a pack shovel, you'll be fine.
One of the reasons I love this site: I'm not the only one to use variables to explain why people should do things a certain way in their "real life" (as opposed to their engineering practice)

Pinzgauer 6x6 will get you just about anywhere and carry the whole little league team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_Hig...Terrain_Vehicle
I always like the Halflinger better, but I tend towards small vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haflinger_(vehicle)

And I've been a total freak for Unimog 406s since I was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog#1963_....0.93_406_Series
I guess I like the way the 6x6 says "overkill" ... in a good way.

Pinzgauer 6x6 will get you just about anywhere and carry the whole little league team.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pinzgauer_Hig...Terrain_Vehicle
I always like the Halflinger better, but I tend towards small vehicles.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haflinger_(vehicle)

And I've been a total freak for Unimog 406s since I was a kid.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unimog#1963_....0.93_406_Series
I guess I like the way the 6x6 says "overkill" ... in a good way.
Then perhaps you might need one of these:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landmaster

Or, maybe, this:

http://www.angelfire.com/tv2/ark2/vehicles.html

+100 for an extended Tacoma. My 01 has 250k with no problems (check for frame rust if bought in Salt road areas).

wrangler YJ, 92 or later with the fuel injection. I owned one for 8 years, easiest of the group of Wranglers to work on, better heat than a CJ, and the TJ's just are hard to find for that price range..

If you can get the Inline 6 its worth the extra $$

I miss mine dearly :(

--> check out the car seat ;)

DSC00702.jpg
DSC01638.jpg

Back