3rd vehicle suggesions, help

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It'd be garage kept overnight, and I'd only be using it (at most) 15 days out of the year which is why I think a Wrangler would be ok (not perfect, but get the job done). Plus, the kiddos are small (4 & 6), so I could easily put one in the front and the other in the back. If I have to haul the entire family, I could use my wife's Jeep Commander.

This is just something I would use to drive my kiddos to school (about 5 miles), then head off to work (about 20 miles). It would be parked in the garage overnight, and would only really need to "warm up" for the evening drive home.

I'd rather be able to get to work (although cold), instead of trying to dig my Camaro out of the ditch...

Last edited by a moderator:
With good snow tires working with the traction control, I bet the Camaro wouls be a lot more capable than you think. Granted, it won't go through deep snow.

With good snow tires working with the traction control, I bet the Camaro wouls be a lot more capable than you think. Granted, it won't go through deep snow.
It sat on the side of the road for 3 days last winter because I couldn't get up the 8% slope to my old house and the streets up to the new house are steeper. Plus, I had to have someone help me push it out of the driveway with 3" of snow.

Playing around on tirerack.com has 19" wheel /snow tire packages for ~$1800. I can't go anything smaller for wheels due to the brake calipers (yay Brenbo), and I can't get tires for the factory rims because there aren't any true snow tires for a 20" rim.

I don't think that would be a problem for most of the drive, but the surface streets immediately around the house have some pretty steep hills and I'm not entirely sure when/if they ever see a snowplow. I think I would rather invest in a beater 4x4 than chance the Camaro on icy streets again.

You just need some extra clearance.

car719RR.jpg

^There was a guy I knew in high school that had a Ford Maverick set up like that.

One thing I didn't see mentioned is that the Jeep inline 6's are pretty bulletproof. The 4-cylinders are supposed to be as good as the 6's just don't have much oomph. Never had a problem with my TJ and I thought the heater worked pretty well...especially considering I had a soft top. Winter driving in it was a hoot. Most Cherokees should use the same drivetrain meaning pretty reliable and easy to fix although they tried to get fancy with the transfer cases in some of the later ones.

The one you linked from Craigslist doesn't look too bad although he doesn't give enough info, i.e. engine, transmission, T-case, etc, and there are no pictures of the interior. Just put a 1" body lift on it, take a sawzall to the fenders, throw some 33's on there and you'll be good to go.

Yeah those inline 6's seem to last forever, and if they don't then there are a ton of available cheap parts for them.

I still haven't bought anything yet as nothing has really jumped out as a "buy me now" kinda thing, plus I still have another ~2 months to get something figured out.

I drive an '01 chevy blazer 4 door 4x4 as my personal vehicle (daily driver is Ford Ranger Extended Cab company truck). I pit studded snow tires on it in late fall, and the Blazer is our go anywhere vehicle. I like it, but don't love it. I've had to do the front bearing hubs on both sides multiple times, and I basically need to rebuild the front end now. I have about 107k miles on it. I'd be VERY careful buying one used off of Craigslist. Make sure you take it to a mechanic (or put it up on a lift yourself) before you buy.

-This is my post # 8,400, BTW.

Back