3 Pencils or more.......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Doesn't make sense that they would say "leave the pencil for budget reasons". They are branded with the date!
Is it bad that I do not remember the color of the pencil used in the exam, nor if it had a date on it. I do remember the proctor saying to leave it.

I remember the proctor saying something about leaving the pencil on my first attempt. I kept it, as well as the two afterwards (3x tester). Its the least they could do for all my troubles...

I am hoping that my investment in the wonderfully crafted green and red plastic NCEES pencils does not exceed $1000... crossing my fingers that pencil #3 was the lucky one.

:unsure:

If I took the FE exam twice, and took the PE exam in October, do I qualify to be a member in the "Triple NCEES Pencil Club"?

Last edited by a moderator:
If I took the FE exam twice, and took the PE exam in October, do I qualify to be in the Triple NCEES Pencil club?
Though I am not the original poster, I would think not. I believe the concept of this post is for those who have taken the PE test three or more times... you can consider yourself a pledge of this wonderful fraternity. :bananapowerslide: And I hope that you don't become a member.

On a side note, I took the FE so long ago that the pencils were made of wood, not plastic.

If I took the FE exam twice, and took the PE exam in October, do I qualify to be a member in the "Triple NCEES Pencil Club"?
Well sorry you can not be a member........I wish you are never eligible to become a member of this group....Good Luck......

Well sorry you can not be a member........I wish you are never eligible to become a member of this group....Good Luck......
What if you took your pencil plus several other people's pencils at the same test?

This is my (unemployed) hubby's 5th. First 4 times he tried Transportation, this time was Water Resources. The 3rd and 4th attempt he failed with a 69 and had only studied maybe 20 hrs total. I personally feel pretty good about this test because he took a refresher course and studied every day for 8 to 12 hrs a day for 3 1/2 months. He, on the other hand isn't so confident. He said the afternoon portion of the exam had much more Enviromental questions than he anticipated and he never studied it. Said he is confident on 30 of the morning questions and only about 25 in the afternoon :(
As for the wait, it's been rough! Since he has been unemployed for 15 months it would be nice to have an answer so we can update his resume and contact the 2 companies he just interviewed with and tell them he now has his PE (which both positions are requiring). That is, if he passed. If he has failed, I would prefer to wait until next week to get the results.

Good luck to everyone!!

Kathy:

How did you husband get around the 4 sitting rule with the GA Board or did he take the mandatory 12-hours of additional college classes to take the exam the fifth time? I am curious because I just made my 4th attempt and an afraid I may be going back to college (yuk) unless I can find some end-around the 4-time rule.

This is my (unemployed) hubby's 5th. First 4 times he tried Transportation, this time was Water Resources. The 3rd and 4th attempt he failed with a 69 and had only studied maybe 20 hrs total. I personally feel pretty good about this test because he took a refresher course and studied every day for 8 to 12 hrs a day for 3 1/2 months. He, on the other hand isn't so confident. He said the afternoon portion of the exam had much more Enviromental questions than he anticipated and he never studied it. Said he is confident on 30 of the morning questions and only about 25 in the afternoon :(
As for the wait, it's been rough! Since he has been unemployed for 15 months it would be nice to have an answer so we can update his resume and contact the 2 companies he just interviewed with and tell them he now has his PE (which both positions are requiring). That is, if he passed. If he has failed, I would prefer to wait until next week to get the results.

Good luck to everyone!!

Kathy:

How did you husband get around the 4 sitting rule with the GA Board or did he take the mandatory 12-hours of additional college classes to take the exam the fifth time? I am curious because I just made my 4th attempt and an afraid I may be going back to college (yuk) unless I can find some end-around the 4-time rule.

Well, that's because not all of the 5 attempts were in Georgia. This is his 4th time taking the test here but in 2006 he took the test in Alabama. If he fails this time, he is considering another profession or going back to college for another degree.

Good luck to you and everyone else! Hopefully no one will have to take it again.

I have one NCEES pencil, hope I don't collect another one.

Question to 3+ examinees...So I have taken the PE for the second time (April 2010, Oct 2010) and am waiting on results just like everyone else. I failed the first go around because I made a bad decision on selecting my depth portion and guessed on approximately half of the afternoon questions. Needless to say, I wasn't fully prepared. I took a different depth this past October and I feel pretty good about everything, but I think I will be borderline and the waiting process doesn't help much either to boost my confidence. I realize it's out of my control until the results come in, but I am starting to consider options for a third attempt already just in case Maryland doesn't release results until late January.

Is it true that if you fail your third attempt, that you have to wait two years and re-apply? If needed, I think between now and April I could be prepared enough to pass, but I don't know if I want to risk waiting two years to take it again and would consider taking it in October 2011 and have more time to prepare...although I think it would suck waiting until October.

:16: :16: java script:add_smilie(":16:","smid_90")

Question to 3+ examinees...So I have taken the PE for the second time (April 2010, Oct 2010) and am waiting on results just like everyone else. I failed the first go around because I made a bad decision on selecting my depth portion and guessed on approximately half of the afternoon questions. Needless to say, I wasn't fully prepared. I took a different depth this past October and I feel pretty good about everything, but I think I will be borderline and the waiting process doesn't help much either to boost my confidence. I realize it's out of my control until the results come in, but I am starting to consider options for a third attempt already just in case Maryland doesn't release results until late January.
Is it true that if you fail your third attempt, that you have to wait two years and re-apply? If needed, I think between now and April I could be prepared enough to pass, but I don't know if I want to risk waiting two years to take it again and would consider taking it in October 2011 and have more time to prepare...although I think it would suck waiting until October.

:16: :16: java script:add_smilie(":16:","smid_90")
I think that's up to your particular state board. In CO you keep taking it until you pass. In Idaho I heard after 3rd failed attempt you need to get additional college credits and wait more time. Crap, the by the time you'd pass it you could have a PhD. Just stay in academia and F the license!!!

My 5-time Pencil ownership INCLUDES the FE.

But I'm not sure the intent of the original poster

The intent is to find out how people feel about failing it bunch of times. Now that this was my fourth time taking the exam, I am feeling-less :( .

Similar to my story. I fail the FE once and pass on the second try.

PE fail twice. The third time is still waiting for the result. However, according to my friend response that we both have chance to pass...I have around 40 questions on my mind and record down...If I still fail...is it possible for me to post all the questions up on the website?

PE fail twice. The third time is still waiting for the result. However, according to my friend response that we both have chance to pass...I have around 40 questions on my mind and record down...If I still fail...is it possible for me to post all the questions up on the website?

Please don't because NCEES is pissed as it is since people have been up their ass for the results.......

Please don't because NCEES is pissed as it is since people have been up their ass for the results.......
I am just kidding.

This is my 4th time I am waiting result hope this is my last. First time my depth was Geotech, then Construction, then stick to Geotech. I feel pretty confident this time, but still nervous. I appeared all four times from NY.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back