3 Pencils or more.......

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PE-Hope

Baba Ganouj
Reaction score
I want to hear from the PE examinees who has taken the exam at least 3 times.

How do you feel waiting for the results this time?

I feel the best after taking it for time #3. If I don't pass I am going to cry really hard because I don't know what else I can do to pass it! But the green pencil gave me luck and I will get reimbursed for it...not like the other $265 pencils I have already purchased.

Well my first time taking it my calculator broke...so I couldn't care less about when the results would be release, I already knew the outcome! I think I recieved my fail letter towards the end of January though here in Virginia. So based on that I'm not expecting to hear anything until at least the new year. April's I thought came out right on time based on previous years.

It totally sucks to have to wait again...I've taking two different PM sections to date...this is my fifth attempt, and second attempt at the Civil-Structural PM.

I felt totally prepared for the AM. The PM as always, leaves me with that woozy feeling...

I know one woman and one man who took the exam 10x. That is the only thing making me feel better at this point. The woman did admit that she just stopped studying after like the third time.

That said, I thought we'd have results by now, so that I could move on with my life...but we don't and its very frustrating. I will admit that I have prepared myself to take it again in April, that way I won't be dissapointed if I fail, and I will totally be floored if I pass.

This is my 3rd. I took a review course this go around and felt pretty good about it. If I get the pass letter the money and time will be well worth it. I am hoping the green pencil brought me luck too. I used a previous green one while studying and I think it was the one I passed the FE with(3rd time ws the charm on that one too).

This is my 3rd. I took a review course this go around and felt pretty good about it. If I get the pass letter the money and time will be well worth it. I am hoping the green pencil brought me luck too. I used a previous green one while studying and I think it was the one I passed the FE with(3rd time ws the charm on that one too).
I hope you pass , me as well , but how do you keep the pencil ? :eek:ld-025: where I did the test the they ask for leave on the desk "because the budget"

Good luck on your results .....I need that too !!!

I hope you pass , me as well , but how do you keep the pencil ? :eek:ld-025: where I did the test the they ask for leave on the desk "because the budget"

Well in NYC they asked us to leave it on the table too.....I brought it home all 4 times.........Now it's easier keeping track of how many times I took the exam.... :Failed:

what about the budget...i wouldn't want to get a previously used pencil/eraser to take the test...unless they then give the pencils to their state employees to use?

The first time they asked us to leave them was the April 10 exam. I think they said something about it this time but I had already packed it away and was to ready to get the heck out of there. Good luck to you as well.

When I tested, the directions were to leave the pencil. Not wanting to risk being failed for violating testing procedures, I left the pencil.

Now for some fun math with hearty assumptions (those assumptions being a 66% pass-rate for first-time examinees and 40% for repeats, along with a random distribution):

To fail the first time, you only need to be in the bottom 33% of your peers.

To fail the second time, that drops to the bottom 20%.

The third time, 12%.

The fourth, 7%.

Of course, I'm probably missing something as statistics and I don't often get along well on a grand, conceptual level.

When I tested, the directions were to leave the pencil. Not wanting to risk being failed for violating testing procedures, I left the pencil.
Now for some fun math with hearty assumptions (those assumptions being a 66% pass-rate for first-time examinees and 40% for repeats, along with a random distribution):

To fail the first time, you only need to be in the bottom 33% of your peers.

To fail the second time, that drops to the bottom 20%.

The third time, 12%.

The fourth, 7%.

Of course, I'm probably missing something as statistics and I don't often get along well on a grand, conceptual level.
You put lipstick on a pig, it's still a pig

This is my (unemployed) hubby's 5th. First 4 times he tried Transportation, this time was Water Resources. The 3rd and 4th attempt he failed with a 69 and had only studied maybe 20 hrs total. I personally feel pretty good about this test because he took a refresher course and studied every day for 8 to 12 hrs a day for 3 1/2 months. He, on the other hand isn't so confident. He said the afternoon portion of the exam had much more Enviromental questions than he anticipated and he never studied it. Said he is confident on 30 of the morning questions and only about 25 in the afternoon :(

As for the wait, it's been rough! Since he has been unemployed for 15 months it would be nice to have an answer so we can update his resume and contact the 2 companies he just interviewed with and tell them he now has his PE (which both positions are requiring). That is, if he passed. If he has failed, I would prefer to wait until next week to get the results.

Good luck to everyone!!

This is my (unemployed) hubby's 5th. First 4 times he tried Transportation, this time was Water Resources. The 3rd and 4th attempt he failed with a 69 and had only studied maybe 20 hrs total. I personally feel pretty good about this test because he took a refresher course and studied every day for 8 to 12 hrs a day for 3 1/2 months. He, on the other hand isn't so confident. He said the afternoon portion of the exam had much more Enviromental questions than he anticipated and he never studied it. Said he is confident on 30 of the morning questions and only about 25 in the afternoon :(
As for the wait, it's been rough! Since he has been unemployed for 15 months it would be nice to have an answer so we can update his resume and contact the 2 companies he just interviewed with and tell them he now has his PE (which both positions are requiring). That is, if he passed. If he has failed, I would prefer to wait until next week to get the results.

Good luck to everyone!!
Best of luck to you and yours in New Year.

I'm pretty sure there was a card on the table that said leave the pencil behind. Am I missing the joke, or was the pencil actually free? Good luck to all of you for your results this time around.

I'm pretty sure there was a card on the table that said leave the pencil behind. Am I missing the joke, or was the pencil actually free? Good luck to all of you for your results this time around.
Mine sure wasn't. It was the most expensive pencil I have ever used. It cost me the exam fee.

I have taken this tests pencil and put it in a box with my NCEES entrance letter and the calculator that I have used for not just the PE, but the FE exam. I feel real good about this time.

Where I took the test they had a stack of extra pencils and were giving them out by the handful!

Doesn't make sense that they would say "leave the pencil for budget reasons". They are branded with the date!

Doesn't make sense that they would say "leave the pencil for budget reasons". They are branded with the date!
They bolster the office supplies for NCEES employees with the used test pencils. If we all took our pencils with us, the NCEES people would have to write in blood.

Back