2019 Novel Coronavirus

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just got back from Maine.  Got a project at a small college up there.   Was on campus when it was announced that everyone had to get out by Sunday and facilities had to work all weekend to get them out.   Unhappy students, parents and workers worried about their jobs.  

I sent out the WFH guidance today after some strong debating over who was considered essential vs non essential. 

I'm just glad I didn’t get a bunch of questions after I hit send. Either it was very clear or no one cared because they already left for the day lol 

^ I got spanked for my building procedure for handling sick customers here to drop off documents. Got ordered to take down my sign (biohazard symbol was offensive, I was told) and instructed to accept documents from anyone,  no matter how sick. More than half my staff are in the highly vulnerable category. 

FB_IMG_1584165500459.jpg

Just got back from Maine.  Got a project at a small college up there.   Was on campus when it was announced that everyone had to get out by Sunday and facilities had to work all weekend to get them out.   Unhappy students, parents and workers worried about their jobs.  
Yeah Maine is slowly reacting to it now. We've got 3 confirmed cases as of yesterday afternoon. One a city employee in the public health building... 

These Colorado figures were interesting to me - makes me think that the elderly are taking head and not going out while the rest of us are fucking it up....of course it’s easy to stay put when you don’t have a job to go to I suppose

f4d2fbd7de5cfa6ee20a7af47c4e14f9.jpg

Well, decided to check on my 401K.
Do you mean your  4.01K.  Kidding aside, Four things I remember from my MBA Finance days are:

1. There is no such thing as a free lunch (If it sounds to good to be true, it is too good to be true).
  2. Dump Losers early (If a fund or stock is consistently underperforming others in it sector, it may be time to find another alternative in its same sector).
  3. Let it Ride (No one can accurately predict timing in the market, but over the long term, the stock market has consistently risen). 
  4. Avoid the Panic.

Last edited by a moderator:
I look at it this way- if I didn’t max out my 401k I would pay almost that amount in taxes so at least I know I have a better than average change of getting the money back down the road-versus a 100% chance of it going to waste...

All ski resorts closed in Colorado - makes sense because so many people come here for spring break and that will reduce travel - it does suck in a way-

I’d like one more ski day so gonna take off a day from work and do some easy uphill
Hike access backcountry with my daughter (isolated) one day where we won’t be around people...just to mentally close out the season

I haven't lost a dime in the market because I haven't sold anything.  My only gripe is that I didn't have more cash on the sidelines to take advantage of the buying opportunity.

If China is being truthful with their numbers I guess that is encouraging?
The numbers according to World Health Organization seems to indicate that it's coming down right now. My friend from Zhejiang Province told me that they dramatically practiced Social Distancing and avoided crowded public places where close contact occur.

The numbers according to World Health Organization seems to indicate that it's coming down right now. My friend from Zhejiang Province told me that they dramatically practiced Social Distancing and avoided crowded public places where close contact occur.
One thing I don't understand is why the number of potential infections in the US is expected to be so high, when in China the peak seems to have already occurred and the total is around 80,000.  There's an article on NY times, https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/2020/03/13/opinion/coronavirus-trump-response.html, that lets you adjust a chart to see the impact of early interventions and aggressive tactics to reduce the number of cases.  The lowest I can get the peak number is around 500,000, with 50,000 deaths.  (If you don't do anything this tool estimates about 100,000,000 people will get infected and 1,000,000 will die.)

Why would we expect to get so many more cases here than China did at the peak, when they have a lot more people and were caught off guard by this, while we've had time to get prepared?  What am I missing?

Obviously this tool makes some assumptions, and I know China has taken some drastic measures, but these numbers seem way off.

Back