2016 results

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I think we are beating a dead horse... no one stated that the NCEES exam was a direct correlation to how one would do on the exam. However, I did assume the NCEES exam (initially) would be relatively close in complexity of problems as the actual exam; since I suppose they are retired exam questions. 

With that being said, I feel that after not passing the first time, I utilized my exam diagnostic to study and focus on my weak areas... which in the long run provided me with a more comfortable feeling after Aprils AM portion.

Not perturbed at all, i was more that prepared for the actual exam and felt that I did great. You do not have to be personally impacted by something to observe and voice your opinion that something is wrong.  At its not about the money either for me.  I just really think NCEES should be held to a higher standard in the materials that they publish as they are the one and the ONLY "official" source, and just publishing something to make money, knowing that it is not what many will reasonably think it is, is unethical and predatory.  They may have some disclosure somewhere as to some of you saying they market these practice exams as for structure and time management only, but having some disclosure somewhere isn't even remotely meeting a reasonable standard of notification.  They look like exams, they say nothing on them or in descriptions of where they are sold that the content within is not relevant, only the test structure.  NCEES should just be more transparent. Tell people their scores when they pass the exam for crying out loud and which subjects they were weak in.  Why is that a "secret"?
Okay, now we're getting somewhere...it seems to me you have a bigger issue with NCEES altogether? And let's put this whole "practice exam" thing to rest, from their very own site in reference to their practice exams it says..."Our exam preparation materials include questions that have been used on past exams and questions written just for study materials to give you extra practice". So again, it's not meant to be an assessment exam, it's meant to be extra practice and used for preparation. Additionally, they provide you with an online preview of the practice exam that you can review before purchasing so I think it's sour grapes on your part.

But I really can't accurately speak to all the reasons why NCEES keeps aspects of its scoring and results secretive, but my educational assumption is that at least one of the reasons is to avoid the passing scores being used to gauge the level of competency to compare between engineers. I think the exam is only intended to gauge if you have satisfactory knowledge in a particular discipline to be considered competent but not gauge your level of competency. The truth is that the state boards sets standards to the competency of professional engineers and this exam is only one aspect of that, education and experience being the other.

how is publishing something to make money unethical and predatory?  Do you know how expensive it is to create a single exam question? Let alone an entire test?  There are meetings to determine topics to write questions about, the effort to write the question, meeting to discuss the question, the correct answer and the other distractor answers, how that question fits into the scheme of test, a committee to go over exam relevance...it isn't a simple process.  The people that work on these things live all over the country, from many different backgrounds.  Would you rather they increase the cost of the exam?

Last edited by a moderator:
They had published the cost per question before and it isn't cheap.

Also, Texas releases the scores.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

just remember that with all the $ spent by PE wannabees, college, work, time away from their life, $ spent by NCEES, $ spent on expensive test prep materials, etc, one thing remains true:

You can be a PE and still be a dumbass...

just remember that with all the $ spent by PE wannabees, college, work, time away from their life, $ spent by NCEES, $ spent on expensive test prep materials, etc, one thing remains true:

Do you know Red Forman?

latest

those were my former bosses exact words when I passed the PE (around 10 years ago) & he kind of looked like Red..

But yes I have met many many PE's in the real world who appear to have absolutely no clue what they F*ck they are doing!

Truer words have never been spoken....  I have a coworker that proves this on a daily basis. 

how is publishing something to make money unethical and predatory?  Do you know how expensive it is to create a single exam question? Let alone an entire test?  There are meetings to determine topics to write questions about, the effort to write the question, meeting to discuss the question, the correct answer and the other distractor answers, how that question fits into the scheme of test, a committee to go over exam relevance...it isn't a simple process.  The people that work on these things live all over the country, from many different backgrounds.  Would you rather they increase the cost of the exam?
Very simple, they make the actual exams. They are the ONLY people that know what will be on the exam.  Thus, they can charge a very high price for paper "practice" exams and people will pay it, because they think those "practice" exams would be the best on the market.  If you are going to try and convince me that a reasonable person would not expect the test maker to put out the best practice exam for that test, then I give up, we are not on the same page.  Don't sell something if it doesn't meet the level of adequacy that it would appear to have.

I do not have a gripe with NCEES, I think they should put more thought into what they are publishing and selling. They have a lot of power over peoples careers and the safety of the public in general.  

Clearly I am the minority in this thought, so I apologize.  With an admin calling me a "PE wannabee", this is clearly not the place for me.  I will leave you guys to it. Good luck with your results. 

that wasn't directed towards you, we were all PE wannabees at some point, just  a statement..

Taking the PE exam can be likened to quitting smoking, there are tons of products out there to sell you stuff that may or may not result in one quitting the habit, but most people that do quit do so without spending any money and just use their own willpower..

But take it anyway you want.. I do  not take me "admin" title all that seriously..

Last edited by a moderator:
Pretty sure that RG was not saying anything in particular to you. Sorry to see you feel that way.

My only comment on this, and not directed at you, is that there are some who take the practice exams as the end all be all for studying and I feel this is a huge mistake.

NCEES is a self regulating, self controlling entity that answers only to themselves. Not much us peons can do except complain.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Obviously, the results are different from discipline to discipline.  It's almost comical seeing some of the responses that suggest that categorically the practice exams are worthless because they don't represent content and yadda yadda.  The one thing I loved about the ME TFS practice exam was that it was very useful for preparing me for what level of difficulty a problem would be, the breadth of material that may be covered, and the way NCEES words problems and solves them. It helped me get my timing down and showed me discipline areas of weakness.  So, maybe your exam was worthless, but mine wasn't.

I thought the practice exams helped me a lot, including the transportation depth. I am still waiting to see if I passed, but I studied based on the syllabus provided and did not rely on the practice test or even school of PE for my studying. I spent A LOT of time getting familiar with my manuals.
LoL..people like you mess up the curve for everyone else! LoL..JK! 

I don't think they even had practice tests for my discipline when I took the test.  There was not a lot a review material for chemical in general.  So passing without it is possible.    

17 hours ago, DuckFlats said: I thought the practice exams helped me a lot, including the transportation depth. I am still waiting to see if I passed, but I studied based on the syllabus provided and did not rely on the practice test or even school of PE for my studying. I spent A LOT of time getting familiar with my manuals.
LoL..people like you mess up the curve for everyone else! LoL..JK! 
Well, I am still waiting for the results like everyone else, but I walked out feeling good.

With an admin calling me a "PE wannabee", this is clearly not the place for me.  I will leave you guys to it. Good luck with your results. 
I was under the impression you just took the PE exam, hoping to become a PE.  If that is the case, you are a "wannabe" by definition.  Don't get all butt hurt.

Obviously, the results are different from discipline to discipline.  It's almost comical seeing some of the responses that suggest that categorically the practice exams are worthless because they don't represent content and yadda yadda.  The one thing I loved about the ME TFS practice exam was that it was very useful for preparing me for what level of difficulty a problem would be, the breadth of material that may be covered, and the way NCEES words problems and solves them. It helped me get my timing down and showed me discipline areas of weakness.  So, maybe your exam was worthless, but mine wasn't.
This was my experience. I am glad it helped but it wouldn't have been the end of the world if it had not. Now the FE practice was spot on and helped tremendously for the two days I had to study for that one. 

Latest posts

Back