2016 Holiday Season

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
paulmccartney_wonderful_christmas_time.jpg
It's not even Thanksgiving yet, Gary Brown!

It seems Nintendo is again exercising its tried and true method of generating a ravenous market for one of its products, then producing a dozen of them for the holiday season.  This time it is the NES Classic which is just a little classic Nintendo shaped box that plugs into your TV via HDMI, and has Wii-style ports for controllers (i.e., not USB so that, you know, you could actually get additional controllers for the thing).  It has 30 built in NES games, and no provision for expansion, and they are charging $60 for them.  The should be able to produce millions of them quickly, but they are selling out the nanosecond they hit the shelves (Amazon literally sold out in less than a minute when they released their entire stock).  My sister wants one for my nephew for Xmas, and the guy at Best Buy literally laughed at her when she asked if they had any stock on release day.

I would normally say that this is just a case of the popular toy not being able to keep up with demand (like the Furby or Tickle Me Elmo of Christmases past).  But this has been Nintendo's M.O. for the last decade or so.  The Wii seemed to be produced in quantities of about 10 per week for its first year of production.  Amiibos are always produced in very low quantities, even when it is painfully obvious that there is astronomical demand for certain ones.  I'm no business major, but it seems really stupid to have a nearly insatiable demand for your product and not produce anywhere close enough product to meet the demand.  The only people that benefit from that model are people who have time to camp at a store until stock is replenished, just so they can turn around and sell the hot-ticket item on eBay for 10 times what they paid for it (there is somebody with an NES Classic listed for $4,100 Buy It Now on eBay).

Hang on.  I'll call the Chinese Nintendo subcontract factory owner and ask him to beat the child workers especially hard tonight.

It seems Nintendo is again exercising its tried and true method of generating a ravenous market for one of its products, then producing a dozen of them for the holiday season.  This time it is the NES Classic which is just a little classic Nintendo shaped box that plugs into your TV via HDMI, and has Wii-style ports for controllers (i.e., not USB so that, you know, you could actually get additional controllers for the thing).  It has 30 built in NES games, and no provision for expansion, and they are charging $60 for them.  The should be able to produce millions of them quickly, but they are selling out the nanosecond they hit the shelves (Amazon literally sold out in less than a minute when they released their entire stock).  My sister wants one for my nephew for Xmas, and the guy at Best Buy literally laughed at her when she asked if they had any stock on release day.

I would normally say that this is just a case of the popular toy not being able to keep up with demand (like the Furby or Tickle Me Elmo of Christmases past).  But this has been Nintendo's M.O. for the last decade or so.  The Wii seemed to be produced in quantities of about 10 per week for its first year of production.  Amiibos are always produced in very low quantities, even when it is painfully obvious that there is astronomical demand for certain ones.  I'm no business major, but it seems really stupid to have a nearly insatiable demand for your product and not produce anywhere close enough product to meet the demand.  The only people that benefit from that model are people who have time to camp at a store until stock is replenished, just so they can turn around and sell the hot-ticket item on eBay for 10 times what they paid for it (there is somebody with an NES Classic listed for $4,100 Buy It Now on eBay).
my sister wants one of those for xmas since I have the original NES (that we each kicked in $50 to buy way back when) at our house.  

this is the one good thing about having older kids that don't want that stuff anymore.. of course its more expensive **** like go pro's. but at least the things that HS kids want are readily available..

I don't miss those days of going to 30 stores to find something..

Hang on.  I'll call the Chinese Nintendo subcontract factory owner and ask him to beat the child workers especially hard tonight.
I understand you're probably joking, but there is a lot of truth to that.

Either way, Apple figured out a long time ago how to ramp up production several months ahead of a product announcement and take pre-orders so that once they announce the product, the vast majority of people that want one will be able to get it within a week or so.  Nintendo has repeatedly failed to figure out that model.

I understand you're probably joking, but there is a lot of truth to that.

Either way, Apple figured out a long time ago how to ramp up production several months ahead of a product announcement and take pre-orders so that once they announce the product, the vast majority of people that want one will be able to get it within a week or so.  Nintendo has repeatedly failed to figure out that model.
Or you could just download an emulator, burn it to a DVD, get a USB X-Box controller, and play it on virtually ANY computer. And it would be a hell of a lot more than just 30 games. <smh>

Back