2011 Civil Engineer Pay

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have 4.5 yrs of experience in DOT (3.5 yrs in Drainage Design & 1 yr Construction Project Mgmt) - I make $53K + pension (9% of salary) + other benefits. I just passed my PE.

Some of my other peers got their salaries bumped up to $61K after receiving their PE, however, that has been put on hold since the last set of passing examinees thanks to our great new governor ::sarcasm:: Also the pension contribution will be coming down to 6% while we (the ppl) will have to start contributing the other 3% to complete the 9% - it is esentially a "pay cut." Not to mention COLA has been given for the last 7 yrs for public employees.

Some of my other peers in the private sector are making $60K-$65K + benefits without a PE. With a PE, anywhere from $75K-$85K with little PE experience.

I'm in the South US (Texas) Site Civil Consulting. I received my P.E. in May 2011. My current Employer at the time felt it sufficient to say times are hard and give me a $3K raise, with little to no opportunity for future growth. I started looking immediately, and found a position with unlimited growth opportunity, and an additional $20K on top of the previously received $3K. Too many employers are using the economy as an excuse to not pay their employees a fair wage. Eventually things will pick up again, and those who ignored the concerns of their employees will be witness to a mass exodus. Don't let them discourage you. The money and work is available to those who seek it.

love the labor and stats site, I sit pretty near the top, however, I have been at the same top for 4 years, my buying power is greatly diminished, need more $$. I have always got top $$ since I am also a rain maker, I keep myself and others fully billed, but, their ability to waste $$ is greater than my power to bring in $$ so can not afford a raise. This will change by some means. I really want some sort of incentive systems in place to compensate for the work brought in.

Our anthem [media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EPrSVkTRb24

Last edited by a moderator:
In Atlanta, coming up on 7 years in July with the same company. Passed the PE exam two years ago and now currently make about $65k. Health benefits are minimal and no matching on the 401k. I received one bump several months after passing the PE. When times were good, year end bonuses as well as compensation for overtime was common. But things have been stuck in the mud career wise (mostly due to limitations of a small group) and the company has struggled to make much of a profit since 2009. Performance reviews (they stopped doing those 2 years ago), have always been very positive and I am always the first guy they put on a new piece of modeling software.

Our small group has stayed plenty busy through the recession, but the rest of the company has been hurting, so the bottom line is no raises or bonuses. I have done some looking around, and things don't look that much better at other companies. I am looking at making a possible wholesale career change, but it is something I am still debating/researching. I think many companies which are tied to site development (like my company), are going through a tough time and that will continue for the forseeable future.

It does sound low, BUT... If you are like me, I HATE changing jobs. There is a comfort level with being at a job for a while, that will be lost if you go elsewhere. Its comfort with co-workers, not feeling guilty about having to leave a few minutes early every now and then, and NOT being the last one in. There is a catch 22 with being a high paid PE, you are valuable, but if money gets tight you may also be the first one out. Especially if there are other lower paid PE's within the office. Good luck.

I live in North Texas and I'm a civil engineer with 4.5 years of experience-I work primarily on structural projects. I work in the private sector (infrastructure/transportation) and my current pay is 72k plus benefits.

I just passed my PE exam and I was told that a bump in salary and bonus will be coming. Anyway, I think you should at least explore what else is out there. You might just come across another firm that values you much more.

Sent from my HTC Sensation 4G using Tapatalk 2

I work in a civil support group for a large chemical plant, and our engineers make anywhere from 70k-95k (I started with little to no experience). The consulting world is tough, especially for people with only a few years experience (no contacts, no contracts). I have been able to hedge myself against the poor market by getting in with a large company as a support group. Would recommend it to anyone looking.

Back