$2 / Gal Gasoline as OPEC tries to kill US Fracking.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes I wouldn't drag quarters to the bank for that.

We do leverage big purchases on our regular cards to get the reward though...
Here in Boston seems like you can never have enough quarters for parking. I'd use them all in the meters

Yes I wouldn't drag quarters to the bank for that.
If you go to the bank on a regular basis anyway I could see it being worthwhile, but I can't remember the last time I actually stepped foot in an actual bank branch, so the time I spent making the detour to a bank to deposit the coins would totally negate the money I'd be earning from my credit card rewards.

But back on topic, I filled up my car earlier this week for $15.04. :D

I am getting at just over $22 / tank filling up a 18 gallon Tahoe using my above mentioned shenanigans

our kids band dues are $500/year (on top of the $100,000/year the band makes scamming poor people with Bingo- in which I have to give up 5 Fridays a year) :(

However - by loading our Kroger card before we go grocery shopping and for using it to buy gas my bill is 0.0 (I actually have a credit for next year) bad side is we spend $200/ week at grocery store- which we do anyways feeding our herd.. but its nice not to have to pay it and it is worth a little extra hassle.

yes you read that right, our kids HS band makes over $100,000 a year running a bingo every Friday night of the school year.. It is very sad to watch in all reality...

This conversation reminds me of when the US mint started "selling" the state commemorative quarters. Apparently initially there were no additional charges (taxes, shipping, etc.) to buying the coins, so $10 worth of quarters cost you $10. Makes sense, but people were using this to rack up rewards on their credit cards. The idea being that you bought $500 worth of quarters then turned right around and deposited them back into your account so you essentially spent nothing but you "made" money by cashing out your credit card rewards. To me it seemed like a lot of work to make a few bucks and the effort of having to drag rolls and rolls of quarters to the bank all the time to make 1% on your credit card cash back program seemed a little absurd.
Probably not worth it for 1% cash back. But most airline and hotel branded credit cards give you perks for a certain amount of spend. A lot of people found it worthwhile to cycle $60k through a credit card to get free upgrades to first class or hotel suites. If you're on a plane every week it might be worthwhile.

Back