$2 / Gal Gasoline as OPEC tries to kill US Fracking.....

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Road Guy

Reaction score
That will probably do the trick.

Err...let me clarify. This is why Western Colorado fracking died in the early 80s, causing those towns to bust. It's back, but I'd hazard that we've been down this fracking extravaganza in the 70s and then oil got cheap in the 80s.

Those who cannot remember the past are doomed to some crap that guy said.

http://money.cnn.com/2014/12/02/investing/oil-fight-opec-us-shale-boom/index.html?hpt=hp_t2

this is saying that fracking stays profitable down to $42 / barrel.. That would pretty much shut down the Saudi's ..

Hell I would love to do anything that screws over the middle east oil production/ South American &/or Russian Oil production and causes us to pay $1.50 a gallon again...

However I am sure our politicians will somehow fuck this up for us all

I remember back when gas wasn't even a $1 a gallon
this. 1999-2000 it was floating around 99 cents a gal. about the time I got a car full time at college.

same here, I took the car with me for the first time in the spring 1999 semester and 99 cents seemed expensive, lol

I'm all for anything that results in not having to swipe the card twice at the pump to fill up my truck.

Oh, let me backup. I meant oil shale. Sorry. Had my energy extractions confused.
It's the same thing, I think - the big fracking boom now is extracting oil and gas from shale formations. The difference in price from the 80s is because they figured out how to do it less expensively.

F' OPEC, I say. Shut off their imports to the US.

Only a fraction of the wells need $70 or more to be profitable. Majority are at least above $40, and quite a few can drop to $12 and still be profitable. From what I am gathering, small seems that used to be ignored in the 80's are now very profitable.

The truth may be a global effort against Russia.

Last edited by a moderator:
i paid 0.88$ once in 1998 in west KY. Cost about $12 to fill up the old celica.

Back