Civil Construction PE

37 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Dexman1349_*

Guest_Dexman1349_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 03:25 PM

I just wanted to see how many people took the Construction depth and passed. Most of the people I've seen with passing letters are for WR/ENV, and not too many others.

I was successful in passing the Construction depth, anyone else?

Edit: Could a mod or admin move this to the Construction section. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

Edited by Dexman1349, 10 June 2008 - 03:37 PM.

#2 Shree

Shree

Project Manager

• 46 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:28 PM

We may have to wait atleast few more weeks to hear from the other people.

#3 Cyrus

Cyrus

Intern

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 10 June 2008 - 04:49 PM

I did the construction in the afternoon, and I passed.

#4 Mason

Mason

Intern

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:26 PM

I passed the construction module. I design bridges, so I'm not familiar with most of the codes required on the structural exam. I decided to take the construction exam instead, and it paid off.

#5 Guest_Dexman1349_*

Guest_Dexman1349_*
  • Guests

Posted 10 June 2008 - 07:44 PM

Yeah, I work in land development. Just enough water resources and transportation to know that I'm no good at it, I had no idea on the Structural or Geotech, and my first 2 years of experience was in construction. I figured it was my best chance.

#6 rk100

rk100

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 14 June 2008 - 01:45 AM

I passed the Civil Construction PE Nevada Las Vegas 2nd try. My 1st try last Oct Civil Geotech failed I got 64 and was frustrated can't figure out how was the scoring.

#7 Altoona Eagle

Altoona Eagle

Intern

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 19 June 2008 - 08:16 PM

I'm in PA and have not received results yet. (6/19/08).

I took the water resources the first time I took the exam - No luck.
I took the wastewater/environmental the next 2 times - also w/ no luck (but closer!)

This time I was planning on taking WW/Envir. but on the spot switched to the Construction. I guess we'll see. Here's hoping!!!

#8 starkman

starkman

Intern

• 47 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 20 June 2008 - 04:01 PM

I took Construction PE first try this time and passed. I have been doing construction inspection for 5 years now.

#9 AK GEO

AK GEO

Intern

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 23 June 2008 - 03:32 PM

I took the Construction exam and passed. I'm in Alaska, doing construction design/inspection for the State (in highways 4-years and in "vertical construction" for past 2-years).

It was about what I expected...I spent extra study time on scheduling and economics. Also took every reference recommended for Construction...I went heavy on books, but was glad when I had the answers at my fingertips. I walked out feeling very confident. I had a lot of field experience with geotech, concrete and steel which also helped.

#10 navy pe

navy pe

Intern

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 26 June 2008 - 03:46 AM

I took construction in the afternoon and PASSED.

#11 ganesh

ganesh

Intern

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:11 PM

QUOTE (Mason @ Jun 10 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I passed the construction module. I design bridges, so I'm not familiar with most of the codes required on the structural exam. I decided to take the construction exam instead, and it paid off.

I am debating what to take construction/transpo. I do not have much transpo experience but I know lot of stuff. I have mix experience with bridge design and highway design.

What were the questions like in construction module. What areas needs to be stressed on?

Any helpful hints appreciated

#12 ganesh

ganesh

Intern

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 19 December 2008 - 07:15 PM

QUOTE (Mason @ Jun 10 2008, 02:26 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I am debating what to take construction/transpo. I do not have much transpo experience but I know lot of stuff. I have mix experience with bridge design and highway design.

What were the questions like in construction module. What areas needs to be stressed on?

Any helpful hints appreciated

#13 PA CIVIL

PA CIVIL

Intern

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 23 December 2008 - 04:34 PM

I took the Construction portion in the Falll (2008). I have not heard back yet.

I was very book heavy in the exam, I had all of the reference materials listed plus most of my college texts/notes. I used most of them. I was very nice to have the answers for some of the questions dealing with code/regulations right in the books.

I do have some ideas based on my experience on how to improve the available study materials. I am not sure I will post them here though due to the ethic statement we signed saying not to disclose the exam questions/topics. I will think about that some more, maybe after Christmas some time.

I will update when I get my results back.

#14 ElCid03

ElCid03

Lord of the Bunker

• Veteran
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Dodging IDF, Jingle Trucks, and Old School Civilization.

Posted 29 July 2009 - 08:53 PM

Construction PE in VA, Passed on first try

drunk.gif

#15 PE2BII

PE2BII

Intern

• Members
  • 17 posts

Posted 11 August 2009 - 11:41 PM

QUOTE (Dexman1349 @ Jun 10 2008, 04:25 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I just wanted to see how many people took the Construction depth and passed. Most of the people I've seen with passing letters are for WR/ENV, and not too many others.

Edit: Could a mod or admin move this to the Construction section. My apologies for posting in the wrong forum.

Hello Dexman,

Did you post about the MUTCD on this site? I am wondering how to get part 6 as I wen to the site and I could not find it?

Plz send help.

Thanks

#16 ElCid03

ElCid03

Lord of the Bunker

• Veteran
  • 885 posts
  • Interests:Dodging IDF, Jingle Trucks, and Old School Civilization.

Posted 12 August 2009 - 12:29 AM

Don't worry too much; there's plenty of time.

#17 Guest_Dexman1349_*

Guest_Dexman1349_*
  • Guests

Posted 12 August 2009 - 03:15 AM

QUOTE (PE2BII @ Aug 11 2009, 05:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hello Dexman,

Did you post about the MUTCD on this site? I am wondering how to get part 6 as I wen to the site and I could not find it?

Plz send help.

Thanks

try here for the complete 2003 edition:

http://mutcd.fhwa.do...2/pdf_index.htm

#18 Samuel

Samuel

Intern

• Members
  • 31 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:15 PM

QUOTE (ElCid03 @ Jul 29 2009, 03:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drunk.gif

How was the construction depth when you took the exam. Do I need so many codes. I am a certified construction manager and I have PMP and has been doing engineering inspections for so many years. Somebody told me that construction depth is difficult. Is that true?

Sam

#19 civil78

civil78

Project Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 22 June 2010 - 03:49 PM

QUOTE (Samuel @ Jun 22 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drunk.gif

How was the construction depth when you took the exam. Do I need so many codes. I am a certified construction manager and I have PMP and has been doing engineering inspections for so many years. Somebody told me that construction depth is difficult. Is that true?

Sam

I wouldn't say very difficult- but multi-step with lots of contributing parts (i.e. a efficiency problem that involves both engineering economics and material or equipment selection). I finished with 90 minutes to spare on the afternoon, but took every last minute in the morning. I failed my first attempt last year, btu passed this spring with some additional resources that really helped-
Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth by Indranil Goswami was wonderful
and Construction Methods and Management (7th Edition) by Stephens W. Nunnally was very helpful in the afternoon portion- I would definitely recommend them both (actually I'll be selling both used along with all of my other construction resource books after I settle into my new house next week if anyone is interested.) The Rawan book is good- but Nunnally was a much more complete resource even though it isn't designed for the PE exam. Some examples in the book looked almost identical to problems in the PM portion of the Civil Construction PE.

#20 PE-Hope

PE-Hope

Baba Ganouj

• 169 posts

Posted 23 June 2010 - 03:16 PM

I am interested in the material you have for PE Construction PM. Please send me the detail name list of the books you have at amrish_a@yahoo.com. Thanks..............

QUOTE (civil78 @ Jun 22 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drunk.gif

Sam

I wouldn't say very difficult- but multi-step with lots of contributing parts (i.e. a efficiency problem that involves both engineering economics and material or equipment selection). I finished with 90 minutes to spare on the afternoon, but took every last minute in the morning. I failed my first attempt last year, btu passed this spring with some additional resources that really helped-
Civil Engineering All-In-One PE Exam Guide: Breadth and Depth by Indranil Goswami was wonderful
and Construction Methods and Management (7th Edition) by Stephens W. Nunnally was very helpful in the afternoon portion- I would definitely recommend them both (actually I'll be selling both used along with all of my other construction resource books after I settle into my new house next week if anyone is interested.) The Rawan book is good- but Nunnally was a much more complete resource even though it isn't designed for the PE exam. Some examples in the book looked almost identical to problems in the PM portion of the Civil Construction PE.

#21 civil78

civil78

Project Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 24 June 2010 - 12:28 AM

QUOTE (PE-Hope @ Jun 23 2010, 11:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I am interested in the material you have for PE Construction PM. Please send me the detail name list of the books you have at amrish_a@yahoo.com. Thanks..............

QUOTE (civil78 @ Jun 22 2010, 03:49 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drunk.gif

Sam

Sure- I'll post them both in the yard sale section of this site and the construction specific as soon as I get them out of the boxes. I found out that I passed after everything was packed up for the move. I know that I have Bob's rigging handbook, CERM 11th edition, OSHA, Nunnally, Rawan, Goswami, a civil engineering dictionary, all of the 6 minute solutions and a ton of other stuff- I kind of figured after a close fail last year that I wasn't going to let a lack of a resource keep me from a pass the second time around!

#22 Samuel

Samuel

Intern

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

QUOTE (civil78 @ Jun 22 2010, 10:49 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drunk.gif

Sam

You said the All in one textbook was helpful. Was the book helpful for both the morning and afternoon session? Approx. how many questions were you able to answer using the textbook?

#23 Samuel

Samuel

Intern

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 03:28 PM

drunk.gif

Sam

You said the All in one textbook was helpful. Was the book helpful for both the morning and afternoon session? Approx. how many questions were you able to answer using the textbook?

#24 civil78

civil78

Project Engineer

• 91 posts

Posted 30 June 2010 - 11:20 PM

QUOTE (Samuel @ Jun 30 2010, 11:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

drunk.gif

Sam

both morning and afternoon- I would guess between 8-10 questions it was helpful for.. almost identical examples for 2-3

#25 maximus808

maximus808

Principal in Charge

• 253 posts

Posted 02 July 2010 - 11:20 PM

I have purchased the All-in-one guide as well and hope it helps during the exam. I have the CERM but this book seems to be easier to follow.

#26 Samuel

Samuel

Intern

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE (maximus808 @ Jul 2 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I have purchased the All-in-one guide as well and hope it helps during the exam. I have the CERM but this book seems to be easier to follow.

How do you find the All-in-one guide? I like it more than CERM. It is more precise and easy to follow. I want to hope it contains what we need to know on all the topics for the PE exam.
Please let me have your comments about which of the textbooks you think is better for the exam revision.

#27 PE_2009

PE_2009

Intern

• 45 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Samuel @ Jul 5 2010, 05:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (maximus808 @ Jul 2 2010, 06:20 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

How do you find the All-in-one guide? I like it more than CERM. It is more precise and easy to follow. I want to hope it contains what we need to know on all the topics for the PE exam.
Please let me have your comments about which of the textbooks you think is better for the exam revision.

Obviously CERM is the best reference. You can't compare apples with oranges.

#28 Samuel

Samuel

Intern

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

drunk.gif

Sam

I have purchased All-in-one PE Exam Guide. Infact, I am concentrating more on reading the book and just using CERM as a suppoting note. The reason is that, the former is more concise, smaller and more direct. Do you think I am havingthe right approach?
A former examinee, said he used the All-in-one book to solve about 75% of the problems both for the afternoon and morning. With your experience, do you think the book is that good?
What other advise do you have for those of us who want to take construction module?
Sam

#29 Samuel

Samuel

Intern

• Members
  • 31 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 01:09 PM

drunk.gif

Sam

I have purchased All-in-one PE Exam Guide. Infact, I am concentrating more on reading the book and just using CERM as a suppoting note. The reason is that, the former is more concise, smaller and more direct. Do you think I am havingthe right approach?
A former examinee, said he used the All-in-one book to solve about 75% of the problems both for the afternoon and morning. With your experience, do you think the book is that good?
What other advise do you have for those of us who want to take construction module?
Sam

#30 civilized_naah

civilized_naah

Principal in Charge

• Registered Vendor
  • 373 posts

Posted 07 July 2010 - 02:00 PM

QUOTE (Samuel @ Jul 7 2010, 09:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Sam

Just make sure you don't just READ. The key to success is to do a lot of problem solving - problem types of sufficient variety that resemble typical PE questions, and use your review book(s) as support.

#31 EnvEngineer

EnvEngineer

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 448 posts
  • Interests:Knife Making, Mtn and Road Bike

Posted 07 July 2010 - 09:43 PM

I have not seen the book but I would find it hard to believe that an all in one book could be detailed enough for most people to pass the exam. CERM covers the topics but also lacks detail needed for the afternoon. First you really need OSHA, they will ask question that need to be looked up for the OSHA manual, Second you need the ACI documents, they will ask specific questions from these references, and you need a very detailed knowledge of CPM, there are alot of very detailed questions.

Each person is different and your individual experiece will determine what references you will need. Someone with alot of constrution and project management experience may need much less. Compare your current books to the NCEES outline and to the sample exams to determine if more references are needed.

#32 wstahlm80

wstahlm80

Intern

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 13 July 2010 - 04:31 AM

I have taken the Construction module twice. Both times I did fine in the morning, but have bombed the afternoon. My weak spots have been identified as the CPM networks, Geotech and the absolutely odd-ball OSHA questions....

#33 maverickmauresmo

maverickmauresmo

Intern

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 13 April 2011 - 02:44 PM

QUOTE (PA CIVIL @ Dec 23 2008, 12:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took the Construction portion in the Falll (2008). I have not heard back yet.

I was very book heavy in the exam, I had all of the reference materials listed plus most of my college texts/notes. I used most of them. I was very nice to have the answers for some of the questions dealing with code/regulations right in the books.

I do have some ideas based on my experience on how to improve the available study materials. I am not sure I will post them here though due to the ethic statement we signed saying not to disclose the exam questions/topics. I will think about that some more, maybe after Christmas some time.

I will update when I get my results back.

Edited by maverickmauresmo, 13 April 2011 - 02:45 PM.

#34 wstahlm80

wstahlm80

Intern

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 30 May 2011 - 09:10 PM

I took the Construction depth....and I am one of those who passed.

This was not my first time taking the construction depth. I had difficulty in the passed preparing for the various topics covered under construction. I must say that the new NCEES study guide for the Construction depth helped me prepare for a good portion of the problems I saw. I would recommend purchasing this guide for those looking to take the construction depth.

#35 BAZ20

BAZ20

Intern

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 03 June 2011 - 10:46 PM

QUOTE (wstahlm80 @ May 30 2011, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I took the Construction depth....and I am one of those who passed.

This was not my first time taking the construction depth. I had difficulty in the passed preparing for the various topics covered under construction. I must say that the new NCEES study guide for the Construction depth helped me prepare for a good portion of the problems I saw. I would recommend purchasing this guide for those looking to take the construction depth.

Congrats on passing exam... I went to NCEES website and they have sample questions for construction module but no study guide.... Were you referring to Construction Sample Questions and Solutions on NCEES?

#36 wstahlm80

wstahlm80

Intern

• Members
  • 26 posts

Posted 04 June 2011 - 12:56 AM

QUOTE (BAZ20 @ Jun 3 2011, 05:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Congrats on passing exam... I went to NCEES website and they have sample questions for construction module but no study guide.... Were you referring to Construction Sample Questions and Solutions on NCEES?

Thanks! Here is the book: http://ppi2pass.com/...a...0&pr=NCPECC

#37 C. Lynn

C. Lynn

Intern

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 08 June 2011 - 02:46 PM

I was unsuccessful in passing the PE exam in April. I too took the Construction afternoon portion and was not prepared at all. The morning session went fairly well; however, I completely failed the afternoon. I have vast experience in vertical construction (hospitals, schools) and now public works. Are there any resources you can suggest that could help me better prepare for the afternoon session in Construction? Thanks so much.
C. Lynn

QUOTE (Dexman1349 @ Jun 10 2008, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

#38 rajpe

rajpe

Intern

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 17 June 2011 - 05:21 PM

April '11 was the first time I took Construction PM exam module and Passed. I did not prepare either. I bought the construction module book written by Ruwan Rajapaksa and went through it page by page every one of them. I bought the book two weeks before the exam. The questions in the exam were similar to his sample problems and was useful. Try to understand the concept from this book and don't rely on the exact questions. The content of the book was good but it is not well organized. But it was useful and it helped me pass the exam. Also take the OSHA book for reference. There were a couple of questions in the exam whose answers were straight from it. Good Luck.

QUOTE (C. Lynn @ Jun 8 2011, 10:46 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I was unsuccessful in passing the PE exam in April. I too took the Construction afternoon portion and was not prepared at all. The morning session went fairly well; however, I completely failed the afternoon. I have vast experience in vertical construction (hospitals, schools) and now public works. Are there any resources you can suggest that could help me better prepare for the afternoon session in Construction? Thanks so much.
C. Lynn

QUOTE (Dexman1349 @ Jun 10 2008, 10:25 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=