Photo

how many hours do you work

• Please log in to reply
102 replies to this topic

Poll: weekly working hours (typ) (295 member(s) have cast votes)

what do you put in?

1. 0-10 (4 votes [1.36%])

Percentage of vote: 1.36%

2. 11-20 (3 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

3. 21-30 (3 votes [1.02%])

Percentage of vote: 1.02%

4. 31-40 (69 votes [23.39%])

Percentage of vote: 23.39%

5. 41-50 (162 votes [54.92%])

Percentage of vote: 54.92%

6. 51-60 (33 votes [11.19%])

Percentage of vote: 11.19%

7. 61-70 (13 votes [4.41%])

Percentage of vote: 4.41%

8. 71-80 (6 votes [2.03%])

Percentage of vote: 2.03%

9. 81-90 (1 votes [0.34%])

Percentage of vote: 0.34%

10. 91-100 (0 votes [0.00%])

Percentage of vote: 0.00%

11. I'm insane (1 votes [0.34%])

Percentage of vote: 0.34%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 sschell_PE

sschell_PE

Dude?

• Charter Member
  • 8,379 posts
  • Interests:80085
  • Discipline:Mechanical

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:32 PM

I did a search and could not find a previous topic on this..

personally I am in the 41-50 hour category (typ)

It would be interesting if we could corellate this to pay scale and dicipline, but I'm not smart enough to know how to do that...

#2 Polysloman

Polysloman

Project Manager

• 102 posts
  • Discipline:Civil

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:46 PM

QUOTE (sschellhase @ Jan 10 2008, 09:32 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I did a search and could not find a previous topic on this..

personally I am in the 41-50 hour category (typ)

Same here I work longer to get more done, stay employed and a bonus. I'm willing to more on weekends but my lady and six year old girl won't let me.

#3 snickerd3

snickerd3

Taking suggestions

• Charter Member
  • 19,318 posts
  • Interests:spamming EB.com
  • Discipline:Sorely Lacking

Posted 10 January 2008 - 05:59 PM

There was a poll like this a ways back...maybe it didn't make the move.

How many hours you work? 37.5, sometime more when traveling but that is usually paid as comp time
How many hours do you really work? 37.5
For how many hours do you get paid? 37.5

#4 Dark Knight

Dark Knight

Silent Guardian

• EB Supporting Member
  • 7,537 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:15 PM

Maybe we should re-make the poll and ask

How many hours you work?
How many hours do you really work?
For how many hours do you get paid?

#5 jregieng

jregieng

Ninjaneer !!!

• Moderators
  • 11,827 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 06:24 PM

^^^ That's a good idea

How many hours you work? ~50 hrs per week depending on travel schedule
How many hours do you really work? 40 hrs per week contracted (limited comp time available for OT)
For how many hours do you get paid? Strictly 40 hrs per week

JR

#6 udpolo15

udpolo15

Vice President

• Veteran
  • 537 posts

Posted 10 January 2008 - 07:20 PM

How many hours you work? - 40 - 50
How many hours do you really work?~40 hr. i am probably about 90% efficient when I have work to do
For how many hours do you get paid? 40, but they say bonuses will make up for it. this year will be a test to that. i billed about 2100 and another 400 of overhead hours. if my bonus isn't substantially higher than in years past, I'll know it is bs.

#7 TouchDown

TouchDown

Is it Friday yet?

• EB Supporting Member
  • 3,613 posts
  • Interests:NASCAR, guitar, drinking.

Posted 11 January 2008 - 05:12 AM

How many hours you work? - 45 - 50 - NOT including the computer time on weekends, if that... then probably close to 55
How many hours do you really work? ~45, I do have some social interactions at work to break the tension... I'm not 100% focused all the time.
For how many hours do you get paid? we don't do billable hours. I am strictly salaried. My boss says his expectation is 45 hours per week. On top of that, I'm on call (with pager) 24x7. I'm on required response to plant emergencies 1 weekend every 2 months on a rotation.

#8 jfusilloPE

jfusilloPE

Vice President

• Veteran
  • 778 posts
  • Discipline:Water Resources

Posted 11 January 2008 - 11:51 AM

How many hours you work? ~ I am typically at the office about 50 hours per week, but I answer alot of e-mails from home in the later hours of the day...so I work between 50 - 55. If you add in the teaching (3 nights per week this semester), I am at about 65.

How many hours do you really work? ~ That is a very loaded question...I probably put about a 90% effort into my day, so about 45 - 50 before teaching (I put 100% into that)

For how many hours do you get paid? ~ Salary at the office, but we do get comp time. Teaching is contracted, so I get paid by the semester hour per class.

#9 bigray76

bigray76

Food & Beverage Director

• Charter Member
  • 7,747 posts
  • Discipline:Construction

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:40 PM

How many hours you work? - My hours vary week to week... some weeks it is 40, some weeks it is 70; more often than not I am in the 51 - 60 range.

How many hours do you really work? Other than the time I am online here, I am working all the time. I probably make up for my down time at work (water cooler, EB.com, etc.) with all of the calls I take on my cell and checking my email from home.

For how many hours do you get paid? We are salaried, but technically my pay stub shows 40 hours a week. Most of my work is not billable anyway so it doesn't matter.

#10 ktulu

ktulu

Veteran

• Veteran
  • 2,767 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

How many hours do you work? Depending on whether I am in the office or in the field, this varies, but I average 40-45 hours a week.

How many hours do you really work? I'm in the same boat with Ray on this one. I do a bit of email checking, etc from home, so I really work close to 40-45 hours oer week.

For how many hours do you get paid? I get paid for 40 hours, but accrue comp time after 48 hours worked per week.

ktulu

#11 Guest_roadmonkey_*

Guest_roadmonkey_*
  • Guests

Posted 11 January 2008 - 04:15 PM

How many hours you work? 45 hrs
How many hours do you really work? Maybe 40, but is it really work if you are thinking of something else?
For how many hours do you get paid? 45 hrs

#12 z06dustin

z06dustin

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 264 posts
  • Discipline:Electrical

Posted 26 January 2010 - 11:25 PM

At work: 40
At school: 30

#13 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 27 January 2010 - 02:54 AM

I would say that 90% of us fall into the "I'm insane!" category...but not because of the number of hours we put in at work.

#14 Santiagj

Santiagj

Chief Rambo Historian

• Veterans
  • 1,791 posts
  • Interests:Concrete and steel.

Posted 01 February 2010 - 01:42 PM

I try to work a 42-43 hour week. I don't get paid OT or recieve comptime. I just do it because its just a little bit of effort that shows during my performance reviews.

#15 VTEnviro

VTEnviro

I'm Coming Back

• Admin
  • 1,024,469 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 03:10 PM

Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual, work.

#16 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 01 February 2010 - 08:11 PM

I'm not sure which one I'm supposed to pick....

I'm Gov't so normally during the week it is strictly 40 hours. Last time I was out on a project it was 13 straight 10-hour days with every other Sunday off so I was doing 65 hours a week. The standard week if/when I get deployed is 65 hours a week (10-hrs Sat thru Thur and 5-hrs on Fri) but, from what I hear, it tends to be even more than that.

How many hours do I really work? Like I said. I'm Gov't.... dancingnaughty.gif

#17 ALBin517

ALBin517

Vice President

• Veterans
  • 717 posts

Posted 02 February 2010 - 01:57 PM

QUOTE (VTEnviro @ Jan 30 2010, 02:10 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Peter Gibbons: Well, I generally come in at least fifteen minutes late, ah, I use the side door - that way Lumbergh can't see me, heh heh - and, uh, after that I just sorta space out for about an hour.

Bob Porter: Da-uh? Space out?

Peter Gibbons: Yeah, I just stare at my desk; but it looks like I'm working. I do that for probably another hour after lunch, too. I'd say in a given week I probably only do about fifteen minutes of real, actual work.

I was waiting for that response.

#18 PA_Mining_Engr

PA_Mining_Engr

Miners go deep!

• 77 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 06:19 PM

In indsutry it was about 60 hrs, but I saw the light and took a govy job, not its 40.....period! bananapowerslide.gif

#19 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:38 PM

QUOTE (PA_Mining_Engr @ Feb 3 2010, 01:19 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In indsutry it was about 60 hrs, but I saw the light and took a govy job, not its 40.....period! bananapowerslide.gif

I suppose I should specify...any time I have over 40 hours is overtime which is a little odd with the Gov't. For anyone below a GS-10/Step 1 you get time-and-a-half. For people who are higher than a GS-10/Step 1 your OT is calculated as 1.5 times the hourly rate for a GS-10/Step 1. That is what my OT rate will be until the day that I move up to a GS-12/Step 6 at which point my regular hourly rate will be higher than the 1.5x GS-10 rate so my OT will be my regular hourly rate. I have no idea where they came up with that, but that's what it is.

Considering I've got a few Engineering friends in Cincy who are expected to work 50-60 hours a week but are only allowed to bill for 40, I'm not going to complain.

In addition to my regular OT, on holidays you also get 2x your hourly rate for regular hours and a 25% bonus for regular hours on Sundays. That'll be big when I'm overseas and you're working every Sunday and probably every holiday.

#20 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 07:42 PM

QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Feb 3 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I suppose I should specify...any time I have over 40 hours is overtime which is a little odd with the Gov't. For anyone below a GS-10/Step 1 you get time-and-a-half. For people who are higher than a GS-10/Step 1 your OT is calculated as 1.5 times the hourly rate for a GS-10/Step 1. That is what my OT rate will be until the day that I move up to a GS-12/Step 6 at which point my regular hourly rate will be higher than the 1.5x GS-10 rate so my OT will be my regular hourly rate. I have no idea where they came up with that, but that's what it is.

Can you put this into some sort of graph or table? I have no idea what you're talking about.

#21 jeb6294

jeb6294

Chief Engineer

• Charter Member
  • 1,299 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:05 PM

QUOTE (Dexman PE @ Feb 3 2010, 02:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Feb 3 2010, 12:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Can you put this into some sort of graph or table? I have no idea what you're talking about.

The GS grades and steps are just the Govt's fancy way of sorting out the hierarchy....

Just as an example an Engineering Tech would probably be a GS-10. I am a GS-11 Project Engineer, but withe my new job I will be jumping up to a GS-12. The steps are just little increments (there are ten) you can jump up between grades that are pretty much just based on your time in service. When I started I was a GS-11 Step 1, after I had been here for one year I jumped up to a GS-11 Step 2.

#22 FLBuff PE

FLBuff PE

Multi-disciplinary engineer

• Veteran
  • 10,125 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, skiing, homebrew, cooking

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:18 PM

QUOTE (jeb6294 @ Feb 3 2010, 01:05 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The GS grades and steps are just the Govt's fancy way of sorting out the hierarchy....

Just as an example an Engineering Tech would probably be a GS-10. I am a GS-11 Project Engineer, but withe my new job I will be jumping up to a GS-12. The steps are just little increments (there are ten) you can jump up between grades that are pretty much just based on your time in service. When I started I was a GS-11 Step 1, after I had been here for one year I jumped up to a GS-11 Step 2.

To quote Lewis Black: "I don't understand your GD number system!"

#23 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:19 PM

QUOTE (FLBuff PE @ Feb 3 2010, 01:18 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To quote Lewis Black: "I don't understand your GD number system!"

+1

Although I now understand why it takes so long for the government to process anything. They're too busy trying to figure out what "step" they're on at that second. "Wait, is it tuesday or wednesday? If it's tuesday then I'm an AC-10 step 3, but wednesday I'm an AC-11 step 5" (AC=ass clown) biggrin.gif <-- sorry, had to say it. AC's the word of the week...

#24 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:35 PM

Ass Clown Slater?

#25 Ble_PE

Ble_PE

I need a beer.

• Veteran
  • 14,159 posts
  • Discipline:Structural

Posted 03 February 2010 - 08:44 PM

QUOTE (wilheldp_PE @ Feb 3 2010, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ass Clown Slater?

That's why it was always abbreviated. Duh!

tongue.gif

#26 chaosiscash

chaosiscash

Subcontractor

• Veteran
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 04 February 2010 - 06:56 PM

In the new job so far I've only been working 40, but I'm hoping as things get busier I can work 50's. I'm paid on the hour, so I wouldn't mind some OT.

#27 Dleg

Dleg

Veteran

• EB Supporting Member
  • 14,340 posts
  • Discipline:Enviro

Posted 04 February 2010 - 10:21 PM

Pretty much 40 - state worker. But sometimes when I'm ambitious I'll work 50 or a little more, trying to finish up the resume-stuffer projects. But I am totally exempt from any overtime compensation.

#28 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 February 2010 - 03:47 AM

Paid for 40, no exceptions.

I work as many hours as needed to complete the work. Some weeks:35hrs, other weeks 60+, but I average 40-45. The office manager doesn't really care as long as 1. the work is done on time/under budget and 2. we average 40 hours. He understands that working 9-5 limits people's ability to get some personal business done (like going to the bank, dentist/doctor visits, etc), and as long as you make-up the time within a week or so, it's all good.

#29 chaosiscash

chaosiscash

Subcontractor

• Veteran
  • 1,123 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:06 PM

Yeah, I'm not a big fan of working for free. My first job out of school was "salary", meaning working weekend outages was uncompensated. I have pretty much vowed never to do that again unless I'm starving.

#30 Flyer_PE

Flyer_PE

Jr. PE / Sr. Company Pilot

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,653 posts
  • Interests:Anything loud and/or fast

Posted 05 February 2010 - 01:12 PM

I told a boss once that, within reason, I would do whatever he wanted so long as I got paid for the time. The company isn't a charitable organization and neither am I.

#31 Kephart P.E.

Kephart P.E.

Vice President

• Veterans
  • 691 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:01 PM

QUOTE (chaosiscash @ Feb 5 2010, 05:06 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Yeah, I'm not a big fan of working for free. My first job out of school was "salary", meaning working weekend outages was uncompensated. I have pretty much vowed never to do that again unless I'm starving.

My first job was like this too, it didn't bother me much because anything over 4 hours was paid or given comp time. So it really depends on the company.

#32 MechGuy

MechGuy

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 494 posts

Posted 05 February 2010 - 05:25 PM

I'm about the same as DexMan. I get paid for 40 hrs, no matter how many I put in. If I am traveling alot, that can add up to a 60-70 hr workweek if you count travel time as working. But I usually average around 40-45 hours or so.

#33 humner

humner

Vice President

• Veteran
  • 806 posts

Posted 07 February 2010 - 11:24 AM

How many hours you work? 35 per week
How many hours do you really work? In the winter 20, mostly paperwork, other 3 seasons 30 hours
For how many hours do you get paid? 35 per week

And this children is why as a government employee, I see the waste first hand. As a Union worker, way too much waste is out there. When I was in private sector, worked 40 hours per week, got paid for 40 hours per week.
Big government=Bad
Small government=Good
Big government with Union= Really Bad

#34 mizzoueng

mizzoueng

Hop Addict

• EB Supporting Member
  • 785 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:02 AM

How many hours you work? 40-60/week
How many hours do you really work? 30-40(more during outages)
For how many hours do you get paid? 40, I get OT (only paid ST though) if approved but its frowned upon and can be a reason to reduce performance based bonuses.

#35 Guest_rppearso_*

Guest_rppearso_*
  • Guests

Posted 04 April 2010 - 08:50 AM

QUOTE (humner @ Feb 7 2010, 03:24 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How many hours you work? 35 per week
How many hours do you really work? In the winter 20, mostly paperwork, other 3 seasons 30 hours
For how many hours do you get paid? 35 per week

And this children is why as a government employee, I see the waste first hand. As a Union worker, way too much waste is out there. When I was in private sector, worked 40 hours per week, got paid for 40 hours per week.
Big government=Bad
Small government=Good
Big government with Union= Really Bad

Yea but its better than slave wages, I dont like waste either but its better than these uncompensated salery postions (unless the salery positions are 100$ an hour for 40 hrs) so that I can average out 60-80$/hr otherwise I would much prefer the protection a union offers, sometimes even if im compensated I just dont want to work more than 40 and I should not be strong armed into that through some enuendo or unsaid threat of not being promoted or what ever other tactic companies use etc. I have never had to take one of these uncompensated salery postions and now that im a PE with 5 years in I never will, so I dodged the bullet on that one. I dont understand some of these hours people work, and you got a BS in engineering why, its suppose to improve your quality of life not degrade it lol. I guess you can take some of these hard knocks out of the ditch digging pit but you cant take the ditch digging out of the hard knock lol.

#36 Vishal

Vishal

^^ The Ultimate Driving Machine

• Veteran
  • 734 posts
  • Discipline:Transportation

Posted 04 April 2010 - 03:47 PM

uncompensated salery postions (unless the salery positions are 100$ an hour for 40 hrs)...... I have never had to take one of these uncompensated salery postions

You sure it's not "celery"? I am sure with your expertise you can get 100/hour - celery, of course!! th_rockon.gif

#37 Ble_PE

Ble_PE

I need a beer.

• Veteran
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 06 April 2010 - 08:33 PM

QUOTE (Vishal @ Apr 4 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
uncompensated salery postions (unless the salery positions are 100$ an hour for 40 hrs)...... I have never had to take one of these uncompensated salery postions

You sure it's not "celery"? I am sure with your expertise you can get 100/hour - celery, of course!! th_rockon.gif

That's exactly what I think of every time he writes that!

#38 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 April 2010 - 09:09 PM

QUOTE (Ble_PE @ Apr 6 2010, 02:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
QUOTE (Vishal @ Apr 4 2010, 11:47 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

That's exactly what I think of every time he writes that!

I'm reminded of one of the cartoons my kids watch in the afternoons: The Wonder Pets. At the end of the show when their "missions" are complete, they all finish with a celebratory piece of celery (the characters are a guinea pig, a duckling, and a turtle)...

#39 Guest_rppearso_*

Guest_rppearso_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:15 PM

How do you feed your kids on less than 100k a year, it must be very hard (unless your wife works and makes the same or close to the same as you putting your combined income above 100k, but then the day care would eat you alive unless your mom watchs them but then you are in a very percarious situation relying on 2 jobs and mom just to make ends meet). I struggle just with my condo, student loans and basic bills at 80k a year with no kids. You must live in an area that has a SIGNIFICANTLY lower cost of living.

#40 Ble_PE

Ble_PE

I need a beer.

• Veteran
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:17 PM

deadhorse.gif deadhorse.gif deadhorse.gif

#41 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:36 PM

QUOTE (rppearso @ Apr 7 2010, 12:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
How do you feed your kids on less than 100k a year, it must be very hard (unless your wife works and makes the same or close to the same as you putting your combined income above 100k, but then the day care would eat you alive unless your mom watchs them but then you are in a very percarious situation relying on 2 jobs and mom just to make ends meet). I struggle just with my condo, student loans and basic bills at 80k a year with no kids. You must live in an area that has a SIGNIFICANTLY lower cost of living.

No, you are just living above your means. You seem to be a complete idiot with your money, among other things, so even if you were to find a job making "fatty" money, you'd still have trouble making ends meet.

#42 Flyer_PE

Flyer_PE

Jr. PE / Sr. Company Pilot

• EB Supporting Member
  • 8,653 posts
  • Interests:Anything loud and/or fast

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:37 PM

QUOTE (rppearso @ Apr 7 2010, 11:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

A little advanced math here:

Income = 80k
+Marital Status = Single
+Financial Status = "..struggle just with my condo, student loans and basic bills.."
= Financial acumen roughly equivalent to that of my 5 year old son.

#43 Supe

Supe

Getting svelte - FO REAL

• Veterans
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 04:40 PM

What kind of toilet paper do you use? Gold leaf?

When I was still making less than $60k a year, I was living comfortably in Houston city limits (8.25% sales tax) paying rent, two car payments, insurance, "fun money", and was still banking close to 40% of what I was making.

#44 Guest_rppearso_*

Guest_rppearso_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:03 PM

QUOTE (Supe @ Apr 7 2010, 08:40 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

What kind of toilet paper do you use? Gold leaf?

When I was still making less than $60k a year, I was living comfortably in Houston city limits (8.25% sales tax) paying rent, two car payments, insurance, "fun money", and was still banking close to 40% of what I was making.

How much did you net a month? 2 car payments is like a minimum of 600$ a month possibly 800$/month then rent is about 1000$ a month or more and then utilities are about 400$ a month and food and gas can range from 200-300 to 500 depending on commute. That leaves a little extra to buy a vidio game or go bowling or something but thats about it. Unless your cost of living is way lower than that. The problem is that does not give you 1-2 years of safety net income which is needed in this economy, if you cant make your payments on things for at least a year or have most things paid off like car and house your going to be hurting bad if you loose your job so its more important now more than ever to really make money when you are working because jobs are not that pentiful and if you cant build that safety net your really hosed and then you have another democrat voter.

#45 Supe

Supe

Getting svelte - FO REAL

• Veterans
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:09 PM

Car payments, plus rent and utilities set me back approximately $19,200 a year. Gas was maybe $120 a month. Add another $150 or so for food. Even after taxes, medical, and 401k contributions, that's still a sizable chunk of change to play with. I sure bought more than some video games...

Also, I'm not too terribly concerned with safety net income. Unless no new power plants, coal, nuclear, co-gen, or otherwise are planned, constructed, or maintained for the next 8 years or so, I'm safely nuzzled into a niche specialty area with plenty of fall backs.

#46 Ble_PE

Ble_PE

I need a beer.

• Veteran
  • 14,159 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

Hookers and blow?

tongue.gif

#47 wilheldp_PE

wilheldp_PE

PE, LEED AP, SPAM KING

• Veterans
  • 9,115 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:12 PM

QUOTE (rppearso @ Apr 7 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The problem is that does not give you 1-2 years of safety net income which is needed in this economy,

You really have no connection with reality, do you? Most people have a few months (6 months max) safety net, if they have anything at all. Our country as a whole had a negative savings rate for about the last decade, so the majority have a safety net of several thousand dollars worth of debt.

I think most of us have a long-term goal of having house/car/airplane/boat paid off, putting thousands away in retirement savings every month, and having a large "fun money" pool to draw from...but most of us are realistic that this isn't going to be a reality throughout much of our 20s, 30s, or even 40s or 50s. You seem to be under the illusion that this shit just happens because you have a fancy degree.

My fingers just needed some exercise. I know none of this is going to make it through your thick skull.

#48 Supe

Supe

Getting svelte - FO REAL

• Veterans
  • 8,853 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:18 PM

QUOTE (Ble_PE @ Apr 7 2010, 12:12 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Hookers and blow?

tongue.gif

Am I that easy to read?

#49 Guest_Dexman PE_*

Guest_Dexman PE_*
  • Guests

Posted 07 April 2010 - 06:25 PM

<-- has 2 kids, 2 car payments, a house payment, student loans for 3 degrees (my wife has to BS's).

We live very comfortably in a city which I have shown in another thread that has a cost of living HIGHER than Anchorage...

Sounds like you need to cut back on the hookers and blow.

#50 MechGuy

MechGuy

Principal in Charge

• Veteran
  • 494 posts

Posted 07 April 2010 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE (wilheldp_PE @ Apr 7 2010, 11:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
You seem to be a complete idiot with your money, among other things, so even if you were to find a job making "fatty" money, you'd still have trouble making ends meet.

Wil -- you hit the nail on the head. What a Maroon.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

=