The Average Passing Score?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus808

Reaction score
Does anyone know if the knew diagnostic reports tell you an average passing score nationally? Is it by discipline. If so, does anyone have an idea what the transportation depth might be? Just curious. Good luck to you all who didn't find your results yet and to those who didn't make it keep your heads up. Do it in April and you will!

Does anyone know if the knew diagnostic reports tell you an average passing score nationally? Is it by discipline. If so, does anyone have an idea what the transportation depth might be? Just curious. Good luck to you all who didn't find your results yet and to those who didn't make it keep your heads up. Do it in April and you will!
I think you could determine the average passing score with the new diagnostic. In each area you could find where you are +/- from the average passing, and compare that cumulation to your own score.

I think all diagnostics are done by discipline.

The average passing score is PASS. Trying to figure out the score is a worthless and pointless excercise in futility.

I will ask this question again: What is the point of knowing the score? If you pass, someone who got an 80% will be issued the same license that a 99% score got. Will you study differently if you knew the score? I would hope not considering that only 25% of the test questions are "re-used" from one exam to the next. Would you take the exam differently? Of course not, you wouldn't turn in your exam early if you only answered 75% of the questions but were confident you got them right.

My advice, take up a hobby and preferably one that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the NCEES (unless it's studying for the next exam, but thats not really a hobby)...

The average passing score is PASS. Trying to figure out the score is a worthless and pointless excercise in futility.
I will ask this question again: What is the point of knowing the score? If you pass, someone who got an 80% will be issued the same license that a 99% score got. Will you study differently if you knew the score? I would hope not considering that only 25% of the test questions are "re-used" from one exam to the next. Would you take the exam differently? Of course not, you wouldn't turn in your exam early if you only answered 75% of the questions but were confident you got them right.

My advice, take up a hobby and preferably one that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with the NCEES (unless it's studying for the next exam, but thats not really a hobby)...
Actually Dexman, for those people that are still waiting on their results, the passing score can be used as a way for all October 2010 examinees to re-evaluate their confidence of passing this time. That way, if, for example, a candidate felt confident on 65% of the material on the exam, yet the average passing score reported was 52/80 for his/her discipline, then that candidate should probably start hitting the books again (or perhaps, invest their money on better studying material ASAP.)

Last edited by a moderator:
That's kind of what I was getting at with the thread. It's more of a gauge and to boost confidence waiting for the exam. Of course if one fails, they should study to score 100% on the next exam. But it's this intermediate period where yes all of want to ignore but just can't. Those waiting know the feeling. Waiting for the results is almost as bad as studying for the exam.

You all have extra brain capacity to do that type of thinking while taking the test at the same time. I did everything I could just to make it through the test, let alone try to think about how many (percent) I think got right.

So tend to agree with dexman on this as it would only add to the waiting nerves.

You all have extra brain capacity to do that type of thinking while taking the test at the same time. I did everything I could just to make it through the test, let alone try to think about how many (percent) I think got right.
So tend to agree with dexman on this as it would only add to the waiting nerves.

I concur. I have no idea how many questions I got right/wrong. It was a multiple choice exam... if I knew the answer I put was wrong, I would have picked a different one.

Civil should be 56/80 in order to pass. I remeber someone got 55/80 (long time ago) still fail.

Civil should be 56/80 in order to pass. I remeber someone got 55/80 (long time ago) still fail.
I think the 70% of correct answers is the pass for Civil. The broken line in the bar graphs in my diagnostic for the passing candidates is always constant for any subject area. The subject areas where I was closest to the passing examinees were around 70% (in terms of the correct answers). I got 45/80 in water resources and failed.

I think the 70% of correct answers is the pass for Civil. The broken line in the bar graphs in my diagnostic for the passing candidates is always constant for any subject area. The subject areas where I was closest to the passing examinees were around 70% (in terms of the correct answers). I got 45/80 in water resources and failed.
Every exam scale differently...I remeber someone got 47/80 got "69" in MECHANICAL.

Every exam scale differently...I remeber someone got 47/80 got "69" in MECHANICAL.
I was talking about this exam being 70% for Civil. I do realize that every exam varies. In any event, I have considerable improvement to do from my first attempt.

Not to mention the way I read the note at the bottom of the sample diagnostic report, it sounds to me like one person could get an 70% and pass while the next guy with a 70% might fail even though they took the same exams. The note that I'm referring to states "Performance in a knowledge area significantly below that of the average passing candidate contributed to your failing the exam." This means to me that even if you do a super dooper band up job on the entire test but bomb one subject area really badly compared to what NCEES determines a passing PE taking your exam should know, then you fail.

Back