New York State

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lielec11

Reaction score
It appears the state met last friday November 30th to discuss the exams (unless I misinterpretted the meeting agenda posted on the NYS Board of Professions website). Hopefully the results will come sooner than expected.

So you just think it was a general meeting, nothing to do with the exam? -_-

Gerenally, I think they approve the exams. However, most states now just use NCEES recomendations. I was hoping the boards would have the results by the meetings as well. Looks like the wait will continue. I am guessing next week, at the earliest. :(

Which one is which, does NYSED follow NCEES passing score or NYSED will make either or lower cut score compared NCEES. If they follow NCEES what is purpose of the meeting.

I imagine there is a lot of official business that the board is required to do with new PE results and other issues. I assume most of it is rather mundane..

NYS Board of Professional Engineers met and the information is available on the website. They even give you the agenda of the meeting.

NCEES update:

Update on October 2012 exam results

November 28, 2012

The October 2012 surveying exam results were released to NCEES member licensing boards on November 27. The FE, PE, and SE exam results have not yet been released; they are expected to be released as originally scheduled (8–10 weeks after the exam administration).

How and when examinees receive their results will vary by state. Some boards use NCEES Exam Administration Services to release the results directly to examinees; some release them through another testing service such as PCS; and other boards release the results themselves. In addition, some state boards must validate the results at a board meeting before they can release them to examinees.

To find out how you will receive your results, go to the exams page, select your state from the drop-down menu on the right, and look for the Results subhead.

Find out more about the scoring process here.

The ny board meets then they approve the exam results then sends it back to ncees for them to release to the exam takers

Can't say that is totally true. Last June, I got my results June 1st, and I recall that they were scheduled to meet the following week.

Which one is which, does NYSED follow NCEES passing score or NYSED will make either or lower cut score compared NCEES. If they follow NCEES what is purpose of the meeting.
States do not have the ability to alter cut scores since it's a national exam. The cut scores are determined by NCEES, period. Some states just prefer to review the results before releasing them, and some states have bylaws that would require them to have a board meeting. Like NYMechEng said, the NY board meeting was scheduled for the week after we got our results in June. We got our results in NY three days after they started being released for other states.

New York is letting NCEES broadcast the exam scores via the MyNCEES website. In truth, the final license approval is done by OPSED. They can at any point for any reason do what they want not approve your application to practice, even after you have your scores.

A example I know is a co-worker here. OPSED made the mistake of letting him sit for both the FE and PE but in reality he only met the criteria to sit for the FE Exam. Now I saw his NCEES record online and he has in fact passed both exams but OPSED he needed to submit additional years of qualifying experience before his license to practice would be approved. OPSED made a mistake on the letter they sent out. They found their mistake months after the exam results came out and my buddy got the shaft.

Where am I going with all this? It honestly doesn't matter when the licensing Agency people meet or don't meet or what their schedule looks like. They can do what they want, when they want without any rhyme or reason. And passing the exam is never a certainty for anything. The only letter that really matters is the one that contains your Engineer Intern Certificate or Professional Engineer's License in it.

As far as I understand it, New York results will be around a week or two after NCEES releases the results, unless they changed policy. NCEES posted results for FE on the 7th and I haven't heard any pass/fail with NY as a state yet.

You take this fall again NYmech?

NYS results take forever. mights well sit back and have a bourbon and wait. but i know its hard to resist the every hour checking NCEES for 2 weeks

Last edited by a moderator:
You take this fall again NYmech?

NYS results take forever. mights well sit back and have a bourbon and wait. but i know its hard to resist the every hour checking NCEES for 2 weeks
YES, took it again in October 2012. I figure if they release today, maybe I know Friday 12/14, i really expect to know 12/21/12

Back