Now what?

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mkt1

Reaction score
Congratulations to everyone who passed!

I'm still shocked because I honestly did not think I would pass (Enviro first time in CT).

I'm sure there is a thread on here that explains what the next steps after passing the exam are so if anyone can guide me to it I would appreciate it!

If not some of my first questions are:

Can you use the title PE on business cards or resumes BEFORE you are officially licensed by a state board?

Can you use the title after you've been licensed by another state board but have yet to transfer your license?

After you receive your license and stamps, do you need to purchase some type of insurance? Is this personal or does your company cover you?

Also is there a thread or forum specifically for transferring licenses to specific states?

Thanks to anyone with any info. If anyone needs any input on the Enviro exam I will be posting whatever I can to help out future test takers in the Enviro forum.

Good luck to everyone else waiting for results!

A PE from CT would probably be better suited to answer your questions, but I'll give it a try:

Can you use the title PE on business cards or resumes BEFORE you are officially licensed by a state board? I think most here would recommend waiting until your name actually appears on the roster or if you have some sort of confirmation that you are licensed. In my state passing the test doesn't instantly license you, although I appeard on the roster just a few hours after I received my test results. In my state people can and do verify whether someone is a P.E. via the online roster.

Can you use the title after you've been licensed by another state board but have yet to transfer your license? If I were to move to another state and was waiting for my license to transfer but really wanted to use "P.E." on my signature I'd put something like "P.E. (Texas)" or "Licensed Professional Engineer - Texas". until the new license was granted.

After you receive your license and stamps, do you need to purchase some type of insurance? When I got licensed I called my company legal department and verified I was fully covered for "errors and omissions." If that were not the case I would NOT stamp anything unless I had liability insurance either through myself or the company. I've heard of people setting up PLLCs (profesional limited liability companies) but I'm not sure how much protection that offers since it's still your name on the stamp.

Also is there a thread or forum specifically for transferring licenses to specific states? I don't know, but you probably want to get an NCEES record if you plan on doing this. You get a $50 discount if you establish it within the year. I just did it (still pending) and it was not difficult, you can use much of the same info and references you used when getting your original license, it will only get more difficult as time passes. The NCEES record is highly recommended on this website.

Last edited by a moderator:
R2KBA is correct to the best of my knowledge. You are only licensed for the state that issued your PE. You can apply and hold multiple PE registrations, and most states do so by comity in the same field as your initial PE, so you don't have to retake the exam, just have to go through the whole application process for each state. You don't have to wait for the certificate to put PE on your signature or card, but you do have to wait for the state to issue you a PE licese number, makes it offical. I have heard of people passing the exam and having to do other things before getting licensed. I heard on another board forum that there was a guy that had an engineering technology degree that somehow got admitted to the exam and passed, so now he has to put a portfolio of his work/projects and do an interview with the board to see if they will grant him a license...fun stuff!

And...Congrats!

I am waiting on my results for enviro also. It's a emotional roller coaster for sure.

Thank you all for your input. I just started my ncees record. I figured by the time I have my transcripts sent to NCEES, CT will have a license number for me.

Back