TEMPORARY STRUCTURES

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

I-GO-TO-11

Reaction score
TEMPORARY STRUCTURES -- Approx. 12.5% of problems

Construction Loads

Formwork

False work and Scaffolding

Shoring and Reshoring

Concrete Maturity and Early Strength Evaluation

Bracing

Anchorage

Cofferdams

Codes and Standards: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE 37), American Concrete Institute (ACI 347), American Forest and Paper Association-NDS, Masonry Wall Bracing Standard

Are codes really needed to answer exam questions?

Is CERM vers 11 enough?

Cofferdams

The following was from a Georgia manual on construction requirements for Cofferdams:

[SIZE=14pt]525.3.05 Construction[/SIZE]

A. Designing Cofferdams

Cofferdams shall be structurally adequate to withstand external and internal forces including the following:

1. Forces and pressures from an excavation depth of not less than 6 ft (2 m) below the elevation of the bottom of the footing

2. Forces and pressures from surcharge loads from adjacent structures, roadbeds, tracks, slopes, and equipment.

Design the cofferdam to meet these conditions:

· Cofferdams shall permit placing pumping equipment outside the footing forms.

· Cofferdams shall permit driving piling between braces.

· Cofferdams shall be watertight to permit the construction of the footings, seals, or substructure.

B. Correcting Cofferdams

Correct to the Engineer’s satisfaction cofferdams that tilt or move laterally during construction.

C. Lowering Cofferdams

Substructure elevations shown on the Plans are approximate; therefore, the Engineer may require that both substructures and cofferdams be lowered by a specified amount.

D. Dewatering Cofferdams

Try to dewater cofferdams without using seal concrete unless the Plans require seals.

1. Dewatering Cofferdams Without Seal Concrete

Use all reasonable methods to provide a dewaterable enclosure, including the following:

a. Drive all sheeting within the cofferdam to a depth of at least 1 ft (300 mm) below the bottom of the excavation.

b. Provide a double-walled cofferdam lined with clay or other reasonably impervious material.

The Engineer decides if the Contractor has used all reasonable methods to provide watertight cofferdams.

If the enclosures are not dewaterable, and the Engineer decides the Contractor has not used all reasonable methods to provide watertight cofferdams, the Engineer may do either of the following:

· Require the Contractor to place Seal Concrete at the Contractor’s expense.

· Permit the Contractor to place Seal Concrete at the Contractor’s expense instead of trying further dewatering methods without a seal.

2. Dewatering Cofferdams with Seal Concrete

If all reasonable methods to provide a dewaterable enclosure have been used and the Engineer determines that seal concrete is necessary, place the concrete as outlined in Subsection 500.3.05.V, “Place Seal Concrete.”

When using seal concrete, dewater the cofferdam no earlier than 24 hours after the concrete is placed unless the Engineer determines that a longer period is necessary.

E. Removing Cofferdams

Unless otherwise specified, completely remove all cofferdam material. This material shall remain the property of the Contractor.

525.3.06 Quality Acceptance

General Provisions 101 through 150.

525.3.07 Contractor Warranty and Maintenance

General Provisions 101 through 150.

I've been told to get all code books just to be safe. Could be the difference in passing or not passing. Just buy them and sell them back after you pass. Wont lose too much money.

I will be buying Handbook of temporary structures in construction by Rattay.http://www.amazon.com/Handbook-Temporary-S...t/dp/0070512612

It covers all temporary structures (VI section)
I got the Rattay book on Friday. At first look it seems to be a good reference for qualitative type of questions. A concrete text book I have (author aludes me at the moment and book is at office) has a great chapter on concrete formwork and supports.

There is alot of reading to be done in the Rattay book but I do think it will be worth it.

TEMPORARY STRUCTURES -- Approx. 12.5% of problems Construction Loads

Formwork

False work and Scaffolding

Shoring and Reshoring

Concrete Maturity and Early Strength Evaluation

Bracing

Anchorage

Cofferdams

Codes and Standards: American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE 37), American Concrete Institute (ACI 347), American Forest and Paper Association-NDS, Masonry Wall Bracing Standard

Are codes really needed to answer exam questions?

Is CERM vers 11 enough?
Can any of Construction 'guru' help with 'Construction Loads" for Temporary Stucture? Any reference in CERM11? I am talking about the AM section...

Thanks a lot.

:doganim:

Back