Square root of a complex number!

Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum

Help Support Professional Engineer & PE Exam Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wildsoldier PE

Reaction score
Does anyone knows how to get the square root of a complex number?

For example if i want the square root of (23+40i), the Casio FX115 ES and MS gives me a math error. If i use the TI-92plus which is not allowed for the exam gives me the correct answer without problems.

Any ideas?

Convert it to polar. Take the square root of the magnitude. Divide the angle in half. Convert back to rectangular.

I get 5.88+j3.40.

For example if i want the square root of (23+40i), the Casio FX115 ES and MS gives me a math error. If i use the TI-92plus which is not allowed for the exam gives me the correct answer without problems.

Any ideas?

I get 4.197501899 using a Casio fx-115ES. I did shift - 2 3 shift ) 4 0 ) = sqrt Ans

Compare my answer to what you got on the TI-92, was it the same?

It must be wrong since I lost the imaginary number somewhere.

Looks like Flyer has the right method.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks i'm going to check when i get back home. I'm at work right now and i dont have the TI here to check. That number that i put was an example!

Any ideas?

I get 4.197501899 using a Casio fx-115ES. I did shift - 2 3 shift ) 4 0 ) = sqrt Ans

Compare my answer to what you got on the TI-92, was it the same?

It must be wrong since I lost the imaginary number somewhere.

Looks like Flyer has the right method.

Convert it to polar. Take the square root of the magnitude. Divide the angle in half. Convert back to rectangular.
I get 5.88+j3.40.
this is correct. I followed Flyer's directions on my Casio fx-115ES and double checked it with my HP48G and get the same answer, 5.88 + j3.40.

:party-smiley-048:

I get 5.88+j3.40.
this is correct. I followed Flyer's directions on my Casio fx-115ES and double checked it with my HP48G and get the same answer, 5.88 + j3.40.

:party-smiley-048:

Yup is correct i checked at home at gives the right answer. Thanks Flyer PE

Any ideas?
Wildsoldeir : Just apply "de Moivre theorem" , look at your Math book (Trig) , here is the link in wikipedia ,

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Moivre%27s_formula

Jonjo

Back